Can we make real space shuttles with Moar Boosters?

TheJoolian

Kerbal Space Program 1.8 "Moar Boosters" released on this Wednesday, today, i was thinking of a ShadowZone's video explaning more the version. So... finally, can we make space shuttles with 1.8? And i will always thanks the SQUAD team for the release of 1.8 :)

14 hours ago, Scarecrow said:

You can make Shuttles in earlier versions so I don't se why 1.8 should be any different.

The difference with 1.8 is that now there are those big 2.5m Shuttle-style SRBs, which are a considerable improvement over clustering Kickbacks together.

There are so many arbitrary interpretations of what a "real space shuttle" is in KSP that anything anyone comes up with will be considered valid by someone.

But yes, a pair of Clydsdales and trio of Vectors will be sufficient to push a 3.75m tank and Mk3 spaceplane into orbit. It's just, as I alluded to above, is that actually what you are doing? If not, maybe it won't be sufficient; maybe it'll be too much.

Edited by Guest

On 10/19/2019 at 8:57 AM, Rocket Witch said:

There are so many arbitrary interpretations of what a "real space shuttle" is in KSP that anything anyone comes up with will be considered valid by someone.

But yes, a pair of Clydsdales and trio of Vectors will be sufficient to push a 3.75m tank and Mk3 spaceplane into orbit. It's just, as I alluded to above, is that actually what you are doing? If not, maybe it won't be sufficient; maybe it'll be too much.

Into orbit yes, Realistic no. 

The vector is still wildly overpowered,  You could probably get by with only 1 vector.

12 hours ago, Tweeker said:

Into orbit yes, Realistic no. 

The vector is still wildly overpowered,  You could probably get by with only 1 vector.

I have a realistic replica of the Space Shuttle. You just have to empty a lot of fuel from the 5m external tanks and reduce the thrust of the 3 Vectors.

2 hours ago, T1mo98 said:

I have a realistic replica of the Space Shuttle. You just have to empty a lot of fuel from the 5m external tanks and reduce the thrust of the 3 Vectors.

Yes, the vector is about 2-2.5X over thrust, and needs to be about 1.875m a size that did not exist when the vector was split off from the mammoth.

Reducing the amount of fuel jives with the fact that  hydrogen is less dense than kerosene, I find about 30% fuel to be about right.

The other problem is the way the thrust tapers on the SRBs. it needs to start off high, about 2,800 and taper off to 1,800 before dropping out. SRB thrust currently starts off  at ~2,950 and taper up to ~3,300 meaning you need more thrust from the vectors to counteract their torque.

Edited by Tweeker

2 minutes ago, Tweeker said:

Yes, the vector is about 2-2.5X over thrust, and needs to be about 1.875m a size that did not exist when the vector was split off from the mammoth.

Reducing the amount of fuel jives with the fact that  hydrogen is less dense than kerosene, I find about 30% fuel to be about right.

The other problem is the way the thrust tapers on the SRBs. it needs to start off high, about 2,800 and taper off to 1,800 before dropping out. SRB thrust currently starts off  at ~2,950 and taper up to ~3,300 meaning you need more thrust from the vectors to counteract their torque.

I actually don't want them to make the Vector a 1.875m, because that would break a lot of my replica's since the Vector really is the only engine you can use for a lot of them whilst still making it look good.

3 minutes ago, Galileo said:

why not duplicate the part with MM and rename it so it doesn't conflict with your other replicas?

Because I like everything I make to be completely Stock compatible with every install including DLC.

It helps. But even the biggest of the new SRBs isn't really long enough in proportion to its width. Having gimbal on the SRBs is more important than their overall size.

There's been some debate over it, but I think a Mk2 shuttle wants 2.5m boosters and a 5m ET to be to scale, and It'll be around 2/3rds the size of the real thing. It won't be a perfect finescale replica but you can get close. As mentioned short-fuelling the ET is probably needed. That will also help with mass distribution - the real ET had the dense liquid oxygen up front meaning its full centre of mass was well towards the nose.

For players with Breaking Ground, the KAL controller can control the thrust limiter on SRBs in flight. This allows you to make realistic thrust curves/tailoff.

On 11/5/2019 at 4:25 PM, Togu said:

Hi,

I've also tried to build a space shuttle, think is quite well done.

Togu

Welcome to the forum @Togu. Yeah, it's a basic shuttle, but it has minor errors. You can learn watching some tutorial videos or trying to do Lowne's space shuttle.

:cool: But good luck for your next shuttle! :D

On 11/8/2019 at 1:00 AM, TheJoolian said:

Welcome to the forum @Togu. Yeah, it's a basic shuttle, but it has minor errors. You can learn watching some tutorial videos or trying to do Lowne's space shuttle.

:cool: But good luck for your next shuttle! :D

Hi,
What do you mean by minor errors ?  True it is only a simple space shuttle for Kerbin orbit and not 100% true to the original. But always safe to handle with design. A spin on re-entry is not possible with him, whether the tank is empty or full. :cool:

Edited by Togu

6 hours ago, Togu said:
Hi,
What do you mean by minor errors ?  True it is only a simple space shuttle for Kerbin orbit and not 100% true to the original. But always safe to handle with design. A spin on re-entry is not possible with him, whether the tank is empty or full. :cool:

Oh, it was my mistake. It's only a minor error in the upper wing. For a american shuttle, the support of the wing must be moved to a bit down. Sorry for my mistake! ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.