1.8 bug: aerodynamic forces apply inside fairing

I'll give that a test right now.  Brb.

Edit:  I tested with all 5 fairing sizes and didn't have any issues.  Unmodded install.  They protected all contents as intended.

You must be running some mods?

Edited by klesh

This is not a new bug. I am saying this as a fellow KSP player and not in any official Squad or moderator capacity!

This has existed in KSP since the fairings were introduced. In some updates, there were steps taken to mitigate the effects of drag. If I remember correctly, the fairings are mostly eye candy - or at least that's the way I remember it being explained in 1.3.  I often wondered if it is a way that Unity handles the fairings. The things don't behave like a traditional part - such as a solar panel. There's no collision enabled with them - even when jettisoned, you see them float away and they are not able to be selected, unlike other debris that's jettisoned.

There was a bug where fairings stopped occluding above a certain length. That one was fixed before release, though. A Soyuz, if faithfully replicated, has a pretty big fairing. Can you test if the issue persists on a craft with a smaller fairing?

Also, make sure you're not running any mods that haven't been officially updated. Or in fact, don't run any mods at all, if you're trying to investigate a potential stock bug. If removing mods means you can no longer reproduce the issue, then it follows that the issue must be lying in the presence of the mods.

On 10/18/2019 at 2:08 PM, adsii1970 said:

This is not a new bug. I am saying this as a fellow KSP player and not in any official Squad or moderator capacity!

This has existed in KSP since the fairings were introduced. In some updates, there were steps taken to mitigate the effects of drag. If I remember correctly, the fairings are mostly eye candy - or at least that's the way I remember it being explained in 1.3.  I often wondered if it is a way that Unity handles the fairings. The things don't behave like a traditional part - such as a solar panel. There's no collision enabled with them - even when jettisoned, you see them float away and they are not able to be selected, unlike other debris that's jettisoned.

This wouldn't be "how Unity handles the fairings" since Unity does not come with a prebuilt script for fairings (or space craft parts in general).  This would be how Squad implemented the fairings inside of Unity.  It is highly probable that they made them turn into non-collidible objects once staged/jettisoned and eventually despawn to prevent the inevitable garbage problem a million orbiting pieces of fairing would cause.

On 10/18/2019 at 1:01 PM, klesh said:

I'll give that a test right now.  Brb.

Edit:  I tested with all 5 fairing sizes and didn't have any issues.  Unmodded install.  They protected all contents as intended.

You must be running some mods?

That is an incorrect assessment and you likely just didn't repeat the size/testing environment OP has.  You can not assume someone is modded just because you're not and you "tested fairings" in an unknown setup and they "just worked."

This is a well known issue, to the point where at one time, I had just quit using fairings all together because they were pointless.  Now its not as bad, but it does happen, especially with larger payloads - for me, it takes about 3 segments before it starts ignoring the fairing.

Edited by SirGouki
grammar

58 minutes ago, SirGouki said:

That is an incorrect assessment and you likely just didn't repeat the size/testing environment OP has.  You can not assume someone is modded just because you're not and you "tested fairings" in an unknown setup and they "just worked."

This is a well known issue, to the point where at one time, I had just quit using fairings all together because they were pointless.  Now its not as bad, but it does happen, especially with larger payloads - for me, it takes about 3 segments before it starts ignoring the fairing.

You do alot of assuming yourself [snip]

Edited by Snark
Redacted by moderator

47 minutes ago, klesh said:

You do alot of assuming yourself

[snip]  I took what you said, and responded with the facts that I have.  I'm not assuming anything.  You didn't provide your *actual* test case (i.e did you match the OPs design?  You couldn't have with *every* size of fairing.), just that you tested them since that's the only information you provided.  The fact is, you CAN NOT prove that the OP is running mods with just the information you provided.  That's the facts whether you like that statement or not.

On 10/18/2019 at 8:22 AM, Rover 6428 said:

I have a Soyuz  ship that has to have permenantly opened antennae, but they break on assent now. Am I the only one who has this?

Please provide screen caps of your build so we can see what kind of Soyuz ship and how exactly you replicated it.  This will help to determine if your problem is the known bug, or if its because of how your ship is designed, or something else.

Also, why does it have to have a permanently opened antenna?  Is it a looks thing, or are your transmitting while flying?  There may be a better part for the job.

Edited by Snark
Redacted by moderator

45 minutes ago, SirGouki said:

I took what you said, and responded with the facts that I have.  I'm not assuming anything.  You didn't provide your *actual* test case (i.e did you match the OPs design?  You couldn't have with *every* size of fairing.), just that you tested them since that's the only information you provided.  The fact is, you CAN NOT prove that the OP is running mods with just the information you provided.  That's the facts whether you like that statement or not.

[snip]

I didn't say I proved the OP is running mods, I used a question mark which denotes a question, suggesting perhaps he is running a mod that is causing it the same way Streetwind did. A huge number of reported bugs after an update are inevitably from the reporter running a modded install with conflicts.

FYI, I tested first with a probe core with several deployable antennae on it, then again with my own Soyuz replica which has a larger fairing on it, and used all 5 fairing sizes.  All 5 went to space just fine with extended antennae in the fairings, probe core or Soyuz.  I then reran the tests popping the fairings off in the atmosphere and all 5 tests resulted in the antennae breaking immediately.

[snip]

Edited by Snark
Redacted by moderator

Some content has been removed and/or redacted, due to personal remarks and an unhelpful digression into arguing-about-arguing.

Let's please keep things civil, folks, and remember that we're all friends here.  There's nothing wrong with spirited debate, but please address posts rather than posters, and don't make assumptions about the motivations or thought processes of anyone but yourself.  Personal remarks are never called for.

Thank you for your understanding.

I’ve destroyed an antenna deploying a (clamshell) fairing in space, and deployed the same without damage after rotating the fairing 90 degrees. I cannot, however, guarantee that this was the only change, since the fairing had to be re-built. There may be a clearance issue.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.