[1.12.x] Portable Rover Components

linuxgurugamer

Forum user @alexustas made this 5 years ago, and told me he wasn't going to continue it.

With his permission, I've revived and updated (with help) this little rover

A short video, demonstrating rover assembly:

New release reviewed by Kottabos:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to Mihara for the original idea of foldable on-location assembled rover as well as help and support.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The mod has been updated to use either stock wheel modules or the KSPWheel mod.  There is an odd interaction if you are using the stock wheel modules and drop one of the wheels on the ground.

Availability

Available via CKAN

Dependencies

•  is required.

Recommended

88x31.png

"PRC" by Alexustas is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

1 hour ago, G'th said:

HOLY !#$!#$! 

How does this only have a few posts? This was my favorite rover from back in the day and its alive again! Hooray!!!@#!@#!!!!

Maybe because this was only released late yesterday?

36 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Geezer, how many does this one make? Fifty mods that you maintain? 

Neat rover btw. Glad to see it. Now we can have a Mun rover on our Saturn V missions.

About 200

I've tested the rover out, and I've run into a number of problems.

Firstly, the rover struggles to go forwards. As soon as you try to turn, the rover will come to a dead stop, and will refuse to turn. If you use forward wheel steering only, it will not budge. If you use rear wheel steering, the rover will get launched into the air.
However, if you have all wheel steering enabled and all motors enabled, if you try to turn and go forwards, the rover will instead start strafing to the side, like one of those omnidirectional forklifts. Incredibly, this is the fastest way to get around on the rover - but good luck steering, because you still can't do much there.

Spoiler

1OYLzm.gif

I have no clue what's causing the wheels to misbehave this much.

Among the other problems that I've seen, the rover has a nasty habit of occasionally launching itself into low orbit when you attach the wheels, and there is terrible z-fighting on the solar panels. I'll post a video of the problems in action as soon as I can find the time to record one.

I can't get the wheels to work (I'm using KSP Wheel). They are completely non-responsive save for the deployment motion, which makes the rover jump in the air. I assembled it in the SPH. At launch, the wheels seem clipped into the pavement (when launched deployed). Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for reviving this amazing mod!

Edit: The wheels work only in the "stowed" position. The activation seems to be inverted in terms of the wheels' deployment. Problem persists even when assembled with KIS. Also, the wheels don't attach to the nodes on the rover platform. Any chance to add a node to the seat so you can also attach it to the platform's central node? Thanks again!

Edited by DownHereInChile
Further info.

1 hour ago, DownHereInChile said:

I can't get the wheels to work (I'm using KSP Wheel). They are completely non-responsive save for the deployment motion, which makes the rover jump in the air. I assembled it in the SPH. At launch, the wheels seem clipped into the pavement (when launched deployed). Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for reviving this amazing mod!

Same for me, though I assembled via KIS on the launchpad.

Also, the bumpers appear to attach backwards, and I see the issue Raptor22 had with attaching the wheels - dropping them on the ground first avoids it.  (They appear to initialize in the deployed state, and then revert to the stowed.)

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not compatible with KSP 1.10. (Linux)

I might look into it later.

OK,  Looked into it.  The Drag cube computation is throwing an NRE on initialization of the game database.
It probably needs it's drag cube to be specified properly in the part file.  Hopefull this same bug won't affect every mod out there with wierd shapend objects missing manual drag cubes.

Log:

[DragCubeSystem]: Drag cubes not found or cannot be read for part Part. Generating New drag cubes.

(Filename: ./Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)
	DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'ASET.PRC.Bumper'

(Filename: ./Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)
Uploading Crash Report
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ModuleDeployablePart.AssumeDragCubePosition (System.String name) [0x00088] in <7b275c7511b34ed2b695641a5b2263f8>:0
  at DragCubeSystem+<RenderDragCubes>d__34.MoveNext () [0x001de] in <7b275c7511b34ed2b695641a5b2263f8>:0
  at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00027] in <7d9ec060e791409ab3eb85c61e312ed6>:0
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

Edited by Ruedii

22 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 0.1.0.1

• Added drag cube to the ASET_PRC_Bumper because KSP is crashing on the procedural drag cube which is auto-generated.  For 1.10 and older only

This is only a workaround, and is only needed for 1.10

Can't wait to try it out!

• 2 weeks later...

I am a wee bit konfused about the versioning here.  GIT has verbiage that implies 1.10 but the file name follows your typical convention of KSP version # which in this case is says "ASET_PRC-1.8.0-0.1.0.1.zip".  Clarification appreciated.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.