Jump to content

ADD THE RD-0410 RUSSIAN NUCLEAR ENGINE


Recommended Posts

I would like the RD-0410 Russian Nuclear Thermal Engine to be added to the game because it will balance out with the LV-N "Nerv" Atomic Rocket Motor. Also it will add a great deal of fun, experimenting, and using it to go to places that you have wanted to go. All in All the RD-0410 Russian Nuclear Thermal Engine is a great engine to be added to the game because it teaches the player on how nuclear engines work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

no because the nuclear engine we have already already burns "jet fuel"....

so i would debate the bit about:

8 hours ago, MrBlueBerries said:

All in All the RD-0410 Russian Nuclear Thermal Engine is a great engine to be added to the game because it teaches the player on how nuclear engines work.

...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We already have a nuclear engine. If you want more nuclear engines, use Atomic Age or other similar mods. Honestly with the addition of the Wolfhound, I really don't see much benefit to using the nuclear engine anymore- that said.

A new larger nuclear engine would probably be for the best. Since you lose it's benefit with larger payloads which are inevitably required for longer, more distant voyages. As a result, a more powerful engine would be beneficial.

I also think a bimodal nuclear engine couldn't hurt, though both of these ideas have already been added as part of mods like Atomic Age and whatnot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ZooNamedGames said:

We already have a nuclear engine. If you want more nuclear engines, use Atomic Age or other similar mods. Honestly with the addition of the Wolfhound, I really don't see much benefit to using the nuclear engine anymore- that said.

A new larger nuclear engine would probably be for the best. Since you lose it's benefit with larger payloads which are inevitably required for longer, more distant voyages. As a result, a more powerful engine would be beneficial.

I also think a bimodal nuclear engine couldn't hurt, though both of these ideas have already been added as part of mods like Atomic Age and whatnot.

 

8 hours ago, SlinkyMcman said:

In what whey is the nerv not the the ruskis nuke engine?

The "Nerv" Engine is actually called the NERVA nuclear rocket engine that was developed in Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory in the United States. Search it up.

Well the only benefit is not only using the only nuclear engine we got. The game already has alot of gas engines, so it's safe to say to add another one in so people can have a variety to choose from. As for a new nuclear powerful engine, the nuclear engines that Ive discoved is the ones from history, and Im pretty sure the developers don't want to add a made up engine from out of nowhere. Like I said I think another nuclear engine should be add because because we have a a ton of other gas engines.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, MrBlueBerries said:

The "Nerv" Engine is actually called the NERVA nuclear rocket engine that was developed in Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory in the United States. Search it up.

Technically, NERVA was the program. Kiwi, NERVA NRX, and NERVA XE were the engines.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Tweeker said:

The RD-0410 is a much smaller engine than the NERVA,  having only about 20-25% of the thrust of the NERVA. 

it's ALOT better according to my research but they had +20 years or something to develop it...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/20/2019 at 3:22 PM, k00b said:

no because the nuclear engine we have already already burns "jet fuel"....

so i would debate the bit about:

...

A "jet fuel", ie. kerosene NTR would perform fine; the only wrinkle coming from KSP in this regard is that such an engine should have an Isp of around 550, not the 800+ of straight hydrogen. On the other hand, hydrogen gives your propellant tanks bad mass ratios and leaks straight through the walls, so the performance difference of the overall vehicle isn't actually as pronounced as the engine numbers would suggest. Adding more types of NTR to KSP could actually teach people a bit about them, since it's a whole category of engines, and having one example of the technology leads to perceptions like "they are/should all be like that".

Edited by Guest
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...