Freezing while on Surface EVA

While on EVA on the surface, the game freezes but audio still runs. The only thing that can be done is to Alt+F4 to close the game. This happens every time when trying to do a surface EVA and it usually occurs just before touching the surface itself. In the Player logs at the time of the freeze there are a lot of lines saying "D3D11: Failed to create RenderTexture ... error 0x887a0005", "ShaderProgram is unsupported, but because jobified rendering is enabled the ShaderProgram can not be removed.", or "D3D shader create error for vertex shader [0x887a0005]".

Pastebin with relevant logs from my last session: https://pastebin.com/pALFPW51

The Player log file is already included in the OP. The output_log file is outdated by several days and not relevant. There is no crash.dmp file as the game never technically crashes, just freezes and has to be forced closed.

Version is 1.8.0.2686

Modlist is as follows, each mod is running the latest version: 
[x] Science!
Toolbar Control
B9 Part Switch
Community Resource Pack
Distant Object Enhancement
Environmental Visual Enhancements
Heat Control
Module Manager
MSP 3000
Navball Docking Alignment Indicator
Near Future Props
Station Parts Expansion Redux
Stock Visual Enhancements
Texture Replacer
Transfer Window Planner

i have this problem as of 1.8 unmodded...

game crashes trying to land lander (mun), also rcs EVA = game crashes trying to land on surface (game works fine above 100m from ground seemingly.... (maybe wrong)).

think it's to do with the "1.8 improving "framerates" (guessing they did something to the code that poops out with the surface calculations (???))

Ah, 1.8. Several of your mods are flagged in CKAN as compatible with 1.7.3, not 1.8 yet.

I suggest you check the respective mod threads.

3 minutes ago, k00b said:

think it's to do with the "1.8 improving

Quite possible, several threads mention "a mess/bug fest" regarding KSP 1.8.

I'd like to note that this bug happens even when I remove all mods from the GameData folder. Two days ago I was having this issue on the surface of the Mun and Minmus and it wasn't fixed until I reinstalled the game completely. Then suddenly yesterday the bug appeared again while I was on the surface of Duna.

1.8, what can I say...

You see, 1.8 is a major upgrade as it comes with a new Unity version. A lot, if not the majority, of the mods will need a thorough update/rework to work with 1.8 again. And as by itself 1.8 is a thorough upgrade, bugs/inconsistencies/issues are to expected as well.

You have to ask yourself, do you want to join the 1.8 bandwagon right now or wait a while?

I boils down to the simple question "what do I get" vs "what do I lose". Are the updates/improvements worth it for you to go into the new 1.8 realm vs not having the latest stuff but a stable game w/o the latest features, plus having a bunch of fine mods for it?

Edited by VoidSquid

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem (didn't EVA since 1.8) and I managed to resolve it : reduce the planet shader to medium or lower.

I put my GPU's activity on another monitor: with medium settings I have a general 65% of 3D activity, but with high I have 85% and before my kerbal hitting the ground it peaks to 100% and freezes...

I have a Radeon HD 7850...

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would comment to say that I am having the same problem repeatedly, both with and without mods installed.

"D3D11: Failed to create RenderTexture ... error 0x887a0005" is the output in Player.log.

I'll try reducing graphics settings to see if it fixes things.

I have been troubleshooting a very similar issue with a completely unmodded install, my PC was bluescreening whenever I would switch to a craft on the mun after about 20 seconds or so. It has something to do with the new terrain shaders, turning this down to medium on the unmodded install seems to have resolved the issue. I'm trying this on my modded install now and will report back if it's still crashing.

I have a Radeon R9 390, is this issue happening with nvidia cards?

I have an Nvidia card, modded game,1.8.1 and I haven't notice any crashes but I do get log spam of "d3d11: failed to create 2D texture shader resource view id=" followed by a string and [D3D error was 80070057] code. I noticed this leads to the game freezing but sounds still work fine, game seems to be running in the background. It only seems to do this if i leave the game sitting still for a little bit (if i leave my computer and come back after say 5 or 10 minutes). I haven't noticed this problem while playing normally.

EDIT:

I updated my Nvidia drivers to the latest (as of posting 04/12/19) and it does appear to have fixed the issue for me, the log isn't been spammed anymore. Hope that helps anyone else that might have a similar problem and uses Nvidia.

EDIT2:

Nope, looks like I'm still getting that issue, must be something on my side since I don't think anyone else is haven't it. Doesn't seem like it is consistent though.

Edited by Sleepy068
New information from testing

On 12/4/2019 at 10:17 AM, Sleepy068 said:

I have an Nvidia card, modded game,1.8.1 and I haven't notice any crashes but I do get log spam of "d3d11: failed to create 2D texture shader resource view id=" followed by a string and [D3D error was 80070057] code. I noticed this leads to the game freezing but sounds still work fine, game seems to be running in the background. It only seems to do this if i leave the game sitting still for a little bit (if i leave my computer and come back after say 5 or 10 minutes). I haven't noticed this problem while playing normally.

EDIT:

I updated my Nvidia drivers to the latest (as of posting 04/12/19) and it does appear to have fixed the issue for me, the log isn't been spammed anymore. Hope that helps anyone else that might have a similar problem and uses Nvidia.

EDIT2:

Nope, looks like I'm still getting that issue, must be something on my side since I don't think anyone else is haven't it. Doesn't seem like it is consistent though.

The bug has also appears on AMD systems.

Your card and driver are fine.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/30/2019 at 10:28 AM, coyotesfrontier said:

This is a known issue with AMD cards, integrated or dedicated. It happens in stock as well, but is currently being worked on by SQUAD. My guess is that it'll be fixed for 1.8.2, but no promises.

Fascinating. I wish I wasn't so opposed to geforce products. I love my AMD. I should try reverting to stock and seeing if I have the same issue.

• 1 month later...
On 10/31/2019 at 7:06 AM, Goufalite said:

I had the same problem (didn't EVA since 1.8) and I managed to resolve it : reduce the planet shader to medium or lower.

I put my GPU's activity on another monitor: with medium settings I have a general 65% of 3D activity, but with high I have 85% and before my kerbal hitting the ground it peaks to 100% and freezes...

I have a Radeon HD 7850...

Thankyou for the solution, I had the same problem and can now continue the mission :D

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.