Solidfuel airliner challenge

Airlines are complaining about the cost of liquidfuel and have decided to try running their planes on solid fuel. Some engineers questioned this reasoning, but they were quickly reassigned to fixing a broken down Eeloo rover.

Your mission is to make an airliner powered only by solid fuel rockets that carries as many Kerbals as possible. No parts may be damaged at any point during the flight. You may use action groups to throttle down SRBs if you so choose.

Easy: Reach the Island airfield and land safely.
Moderate: Reach the Island airfield, land safely, return to KSC, and land safely.
Hard: Reach the Dessert Airfield complex and land safely.

If you don't have MakingHistory but want to do hard mode anyway, just land somewhere near:

6° 35′ 58″ S
144° 2′ 26″ W

Score = 1000 * (passengers) / solidfuel spent. Cockpit Crew do not count as passengers. Even extra cockpit crew.

Vehicles must takeoff and land horizontally, and may not stage or damage parts.

Edited by Pds314

Here is my attempt.

8fgtBUQ.png

It has 48 passengers (3 x 16), and 4 x 820 + 2 x 8 = 3296 solid fuel. Score: 48000/3296 = 14.56

I am pretty sure this can be improved, because it gained too much altitude and speed, but for now this is my submission! I may try another time with the smaller passenger cabins.

lH3M9Ly.png

Edited by Magzimum
Pictures didn't show - hopefully better now

21 hours ago, Magzimum said:

Here is my attempt.

Screenshot-at-2019-10-20-11-32-46.png

It has 48 passengers (3 x 16), and 4 x 820 + 2 x 8 = 3296 solid fuel. Score: 48000/3296 = 14.56

I am pretty sure this can be improved, because it gained too much altitude and speed, but for now this is my submission! I may try another time with the smaller passenger cabins.

Screenshot-at-2019-10-20-11-38-06.png

I can't see the images....

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

When you say you may not stage parts, does that mean that all engines have to fire from the get go, or just that engines may not be discarded?

Just no discards. You can use stage or any other action groups or methods to order the burns, just don't lose parts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.