Thicker Wings

I feel like KSP could use some larger wing options. In real life, large spaceplane wings are usually more than a few centimeters metres thick, and most passenger planes have huge, thick wings nearer to the base. I think adding a way to change wing thickness in different parts of the wings (somewhat like Simple Planes' fuselage parts/ procedural wings) or just giving wings a nice aerofoil shape would make modelling any winged object look nicer and be more realistic.

Edited by Kernel Kraken

16 hours ago, Kernel Kraken said:

I feel like KSP could use some larger wing options. In real life, large spaceplane wings are usually more than a few centimeters metres thick, and most passenger planes have huge, thick wings nearer to the base. I think adding a way to change wing thickness in different parts of the wings (somewhat like Simple Planes' fuselage parts/ procedural wings) or just giving wings a nice aerofoil shape would make modelling any winged object look nicer and be more realistic.

Isn't that what the current Fat455 wings do? Except for the procedural thing which would be very cool.

I think procedural wings would be the way to go. You can't effectively make wing connectors of different thicknesses and still have them snap together without ending up with a ridiculous number of parts.

I love to design planes and the barn-door wings are a little displeasing, aesthetically.

And realistically. I mean, wings have that shape for a reason. If you duck- taped a few whiteboards to a bucket seat and some engines all you would get is a flaming bucket seat and not a spaceplane. 

On 10/21/2019 at 1:56 AM, Pds314 said:

Isn't that what the current Fat455 wings do? Except for the procedural thing which would be very cool.

Yeah, but you can't make your own wing systems. It's one shape. I think there is a procedural wing mod but I can't find the 1.3.1 version and I can't seem to get the right MM version.

It's disappointing the Mk3 wings just ended up being model parts and not lego style like the original wings.  That was one of the few missteps Porkjet made.

There should be thicker, Mk3 wings in the style of the current wings.  Squares and triangles over model kit wings any day.

12 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

It's disappointing the Mk3 wings just ended up being model parts and not lego style like the original wings.  That was one of the few missteps Porkjet made.

There should be thicker, Mk3 wings in the style of the current wings.  Squares and triangles over model kit wings any day.

I just can't think of how you would make the thick lego wings. A lot of pieces would be needed depending on how you want the slope of your wing, how thick, ect.. Any ideas? I was thinking stock procedural wings.

3 hours ago, Kernel Kraken said:

I just can't think of how you would make the thick lego wings. A lot of pieces would be needed depending on how you want the slope of your wing, how thick, ect.. Any ideas? I was thinking stock procedural wings.

Just... thicker lego wings I guess. You could add some taper parts (things proportionally a lot smaller/skinnier, but that taper down to the normal wing size or to a rounded edge as needed).

For transitions... yeah I'm not sure. High partcount or just uglier designs.

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

Just... thicker lego wings I guess. You could add some taper parts (things proportionally a lot smaller/skinnier, but that taper down to the normal wing size or to a rounded edge as needed).

But the problem was with the tapered parts. What if i want a very specific taper? I guess I could just very precisely rotate different sized wings to create it.... Oh wait...

2 hours ago, Kernel Kraken said:

But the problem was with the tapered parts. What if i want a very specific taper?

That's the thing with Lego design.  You're forced to work within constraints.  That can be a good or bad thing depending on the goal of the product.

On 10/22/2019 at 7:02 AM, Kernel Kraken said:

And realistically. I mean, wings have that shape for a reason. If you duck- taped a few whiteboards to a bucket seat and some engines all you would get is a flaming bucket seat and not a spaceplane. 

Yeah, but you can't make your own wing systems. It's one shape. I think there is a procedural wing mod but I can't find the 1.3.1 version and I can't seem to get the right MM version.

1.3.1? We have them in 1.7 versions. The B9 procedural wing mod has been maintained by like 5 different people over the years but it's still around. Possibly even with multiple competing versions of the mod.

On 10/21/2019 at 12:56 AM, Pds314 said:

Yeah, but those aren't really spaceworthy. A few people have managed to make spaceplanes with them, but they tend to melt.

On 10/21/2019 at 1:37 AM, Brikoleur said:

I think procedural wings would be the way to go. You can't effectively make wing connectors of different thicknesses and still have them snap together without ending up with a ridiculous number of parts.

19 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

8 hours ago, Kernel Kraken said:

4 hours ago, qzgy said:

There's the Mk2 and Mk3 Expansion mods. I think they're a decent compromise solution between too many new parts and too specialized parts, and they have a couple of switchable taper options also.

4 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

Yeah, but those aren't really spaceworthy. A few people have managed to make spaceplanes with them, but they tend to melt.

There's the Mk2 and Mk3 Expansion mods. I think they're a decent compromise solution between too many new parts and too specialized parts, and they have a couple of switchable taper options also.

Oh, cool. Links?

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.