Map broke a week after 1.8

Mods Active: KerbalAlarmClock - 3.11.0.0; MechJeb2 2.9.0

Let me preface this with what I have tried to avoid those questions:

1. Loading only Vanilla, this worked on a new career, I want to use my original career for obvious reasons.

2. Updated MechJeb that and KSP trigger were my only mods installed, I have reinstalled the game fully and remove them (after doing a full backup) and issue still persists

3. Tried the Console > Input lock and clearing it, did not work.

4. Tried different saves, going to space center, tracking station, doing quick saves and quick loads, issue still persists.

5. Tried a brand new game with MechJeb2 and KSP Alarm mod on, it worked fine.

6. I have verified game files, re-installed (to a new drive) and this does not fix the issue. 

7. This is not a "battery issue" or a "communication issue".  I have 3 solar panels 2x3 extended with 10 battery packs with 400 capacity and 3 kerbals in the pod with 2 being a pilot.  This happens to any ship I try to switch to on this career mode save. 

8. I have tried going to earlier saves, the same issue is applied to all my game saves for this career. 

9. I have updated MechJeb2 to its GitHub 'stable' version, 2.9.0.  KSP Alarm didn't seem to have an update, but it worked after 1.8, and still works.  A 'vanilla' build with these two mods works fine, just not this career mode.

What happens is when I try to switch to map mode with 'M' it doesn't work.  I use the Map button, it switches, but then when I switch back with the button, the map mode image is still there without the communication links or other objects, and I can see like 'close ships', but unable to see my vessel and or control it. 

Not sure what else to do.  I love 1.8 because it performs so much better.  I am going to try reverting to 1.7.3 and see how that goes.  If anyone has something else to try please let me know, I really do not want to have to start a new career.   I really hope it is something as simple as "push this button". 

Requested LogData link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10UE2-h3W1hbe8E6ddMNWYzTgJukOze7P?usp=sharing

Edited by Slunked
Added link to Player.log and output_log.txt

I have the exact same problem, I have a backup 1 hour before the issue. 

I tried removing all my ships but it's not working. I see no error un debug console. On new games I don't have the problem, only on this one.

I also have mesh jeb, happened after few hours on my campaign.

Had the same problem on unmodded KSP 1.8.0 from GoG, after about 10 flights in new career mode. Backup persistent.sfs files worked fine, except last one which had map problem too.

Also, I noticed one of my ships was not showing in the tracking station. It was a tiny Mun probe I landed just before the problem appeared. I opened persistent.sfs in WordPad and deleted its VESSEL section. After that map started working again. Played a couple hours without any problems since.

Have no idea what was wrong with the probe. I tried editing sfs to narrow down the problem, but edited saves were not loading at all. Can post broken persistent.sfs if devs need it.

Same problems like the above - map does not work properly and one probe is lost. It is quite deep in the carreer, with many Kerbonauts (grind rescue missions, oh it sucks sooo), Tier 4 techs all open, Manned mission to Dune...
God bless the person who will find a way to save the carreer.
Can start a new one of course but heeey.... That will be the 3rd one crashed because of bugs 8^(

I'm having the same issue with the "M" key not functioning properly and having to use the "global map" icon.  However, I can not switch back from solar system view to the ship view.

After I noticed the problem, I used Steam to verify the integrity of game files and 2 were corrupt.  I started the game again.  Still experienced the same problem.  Went back to verify game files and 1 file was still corrupt.  Reverified and all files were good.  Started game.  Same problem.  Went to Steam and one file was corrupt.  Something in the game is causing it to corrupt it's own files.

I'm currently missing 2 unKerballed (unmanned) ships from my Tracking Station and no longer controllable or even visible - one was a probe landed on Minmus which I set to the type - science.  It was still showing multiple lines of green ComNet access, but I could not see probe, nor access it in any way.  The second was a two part space station with two probe command consoles and a lander can with no Kerbals on board.  It's disappeared and no longer visible even though all the stages I used to get the station there are still showing up as debris.  Very frustrating.

This happened again to me just now. Now I'm sure setting vessel type to "Science" is the cause. As soon as I did it, vessel disappeared from tracking station and map stopped working.

I found the ship's VESSEL section in "persistent.sfs" and changed its' type from "DeployedScienceController" to "Lander". Then reloaded that save and my ship was back! And map started working properly too.

50 minutes ago, w33b said:

This happened again to me just now. Now I'm sure setting vessel type to "Science" is the cause. As soon as I did it, vessel disappeared from tracking station and map stopped working.

I found the ship's VESSEL section in "persistent.sfs" and changed its' type from "DeployedScienceController" to "Lander". Then reloaded that save and my ship was back! And map started working properly too.

Since it seems you should be able to reproduce this, you might want to report it as a bug:

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2019 at 2:41 AM, w33b said:

Hey! Same problem and now it's fixed!

• 3 weeks later...

Heya... Having the same problem.  The only solution that works so far is exiting to the Tracking Station and loading the craft again.  The downside is that this doesn't work so well when you're trying to perform orbital adjustments in the map screen or stage in the middle of a maneuver.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.
It seems like it happens every time I set a vessel with the "science" label.
I found a tip on Reddit which might help many of us. It implies to change any of these "science relays" names on persistent file (" DeployedScienceController ") to whatsoever labels. I will try it after reinstalling the game.

• 2 months later...
On 11/10/2019 at 8:41 PM, w33b said:

found the ship's VESSEL section in "persistent.sfs" and changed its' type from "DeployedScienceController" to "Lander". Then reloaded that save and my ship was back! And map started working properly too.

Exactly THAT helped me out.
Thanks very much.

PS: Also 40 MB savegame load faster/as usual again and FPS are normal again (was lowered to half while troubleshooting)

-----
Strange, that i can change to a Vessel-Type that doesnt exist in Tracking Center-View and VAB
AND destroy game-functionality.

In short: never change/rename a vessel to type "science".

Edited by Jansn67

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.