Probe parts + smart parts

Suprisingly I've not seen anyone talking about probes at all in the new KSP 2, so maybe I'm in the minority as a big probe user, but I was hoping for a few new additions, espicially for the new progression mode.

Firstly, we should get airbags and petals, which tended to be the main method for landing the vast majority of probes, including Spirit/Opportunity and Luna 9. I just really like the look of them and they simplify smaller landers allot, and we should get better smart parts. Right now the only part that is really 'smart' is the parachute, as you can deploy that at high altitude and set that to automatically deploy at a certain pressure, but we need more. Maybe a way to auto fire sepatrons when 30 metres above the ground, auto deploy a heat shield, or anything like that. Doesnt have to be too complex, but it would make operating probes and landing them a little more interesting.

Agreed.  Love uncrewed missions, possibly more than crewed.  They tend to be at the early, exploratory, emd of things and set-up the comms, resource scanning and surface-mapping that later, crewed, missions rely on.

What I would like to see is formless instruments,

for example you have a science bay or probe core  as a part, 

when you load instrument, batteries, reaction wheels, ETC instead of placing physical parts on the craft in the VAB you load the module into the core, or bay.  The bay then get heavier, and gain additional proprties, such as more torque, electric charge, ETC, and looses capacity as it is filled up.  

1 hour ago, MiscelanousItem said:

PbC means probes before crew I  meant that ksp 2's tech tree should be PbC

Oh yea. Sorry my tone was a bit aggressive but thats just cause I really want moar probe bits. Anyway I agree PbC tech tree would be good, but maybe it should be made so you don't have to grind science at home, or create ugly rockets to support the stayputnik.

On 10/23/2019 at 2:53 AM, Tweeker said:

What I would like to see is formless instruments,

for example you have a science bay or probe core  as a part, 

when you load instrument, batteries, reaction wheels, ETC instead of placing physical parts on the craft in the VAB you load the module into the core, or bay.  The bay then get heavier, and gain additional proprties, such as more torque, electric charge, ETC, and looses capacity as it is filled up.  

so modular probe cores?

• 3 years later...

Can someone explain this probe core to me? Is it an OKTO2 with a conical adapter above it for the parachute? It's not very octagonal..

Spoiler

ksp-probe-core.png

Edited by Vl3d

Just now, Vl3d said:

Is it an OKTO2 with a conical adapter above it for the parachute?

File:Probestack.png

Looks like an RC-001S to me, but yeah it seems to have some sort of adapter above it.

Incidentally, the adapter does remind me of the conical service bay from Making History, but no way to know whether it's actually hollow or just a structural adapter.

Oh right, the good ol' RC-001S... 2 MB of memory, not enough for science. I remember. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Looks like an RC-001S to me, but yeah it seems to have some sort of adapter above it.

Incidentally, the adapter does remind me of the conical service bay from Making History, but no way to know whether it's actually hollow or just a structural adapter.

9 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Can someone explain this probe core to me? Is it an OKTO2 with a conical adapter above it for the parachute? It's not very octagonal..

Reveal hidden contents

ksp-probe-core.png

4 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

From top to bottom the parts of the probe are:

Mk16 parachute

FL-A10 Adapter

RC-001S Remote Guidance Unit (As mentioned by RealKerbal3x)

I just realized, you can build this entire probe lander in KSP 1. 

I also just realized, the Communtron HG-55 relays are a lot smaller than their KSP 1 counter parts. 

Edited by GoldForest

2 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I also just realized, the Communtron HG-55 relays are a lot smaller than their KSP 1 counter parts. 

Normally it's not a relay. But maybe... if there's two of them...

3 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Normally it's not a relay. But maybe... if there's two of them...

Right. I only play modded KSP, and there's like 400 relay antennas in my part list and only like 25 directs. Kind of forget about stock parts original stats. 

Edited by GoldForest