Stockalike Realism Overhaul Release 1.5.33

LudicrousFun

Suggestions  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Should I add more planets?

• Yes
    • No

Here's my latest release of Stockalike Realism Overhaul. 

Added an electric jet powered by EC.

Fixed aluminium wings texture. (Aluminium wings are a lighter alternative to stock wings but are more fragile)

Hope you enjoy it!

Download: [Link removed by moderator, due to licensing issues]

Edited by HyperFun
Redacted by moderator

Okay, the mod includes:

Real Fuels (no cryogenic fuel vaporisation though due to my complete lack of experience in compiling code)

Realistic Batteries

Realistic Wing and Structural tensile strengths

(If installed manually) Realistic physics

Realistic stock planet atmospheres

Semi-realistic new planets such as:

Minth, Veste, Ganymede and Sedna*

Realistic stellar objects (Blackholes, Stars)

*Ganymede and Sedna are also real planets but I couldn't think of a planet name.

Edited by HyperFun
Reasoning

• 1 month later...

Hi @HyperFun.

I see a lot of files inside your mod, for which you are not the author. While you can use the content from other mods inside your compilation, you should list all the mods and all the authors from which you took. Also, you must be sure that your license is compatible. You can't just slap "do whatever you want" (which is basically CC-0) to other people's work. Some files that you use are from squad. First of all, you are not allowed to use them in your mod. Second of all, you don't need to. If you want to modify the default configuration you should use module manager for that.

Speaking of which, I see that your mod depends on MM, Kopernicus, TweakScale, BDArmory and probably lots of other mods. You should list all them in the OP, if you want people to be able to use your mod. Also, your mod adds a lot more than what you have listed. Even if you want to make some things "secret", you should still list them. You could use spoiler container for that.

On 10/22/2019 at 6:56 AM, HyperFun said:

Here's my latest release of Stockalike Realism Overhaul.

Hi @HyperFun, and welcome to the modding community!  :)

Moved out of Tools & Applications (since that's for external tools, not KSP mods).  I've put your thread into Add-on Development, rather than Add-on Releases, since it sounds as though it's not quite "ready" yet.

We've also removed your download link, since it looks as though you have some licensing issues that need fixing (see below).  Licensing issues are pretty important, they're an absolute requirement, so please take some time to learn about how this stuff works. ;)

On 10/23/2019 at 3:09 AM, HyperFun said:

Okay, the mod includes:

Real Fuels (no cryogenic fuel vaporisation though due to my complete lack of experience in compiling code)

Realistic Batteries

Realistic Wing and Structural tensile strengths

(If installed manually) Realistic physics

Realistic stock planet atmospheres

Semi-realistic new planets such as:

Minth, Veste, Ganymede and Sedna*

Realistic stellar objects (Blackholes, Stars)

Sounds like you've included various other people's work with your mod?

That's not necessarily a problem... but it often is.  And even when it's okay, there are some hoops you need to jump through, in order to keep things legit and aboveboard.

The issue is licensing.  Every single mod listed in the forums (including yours, if you make one) must specify a license.  The license states what other people can or can't do with the mod.  Some mods have fairly permissive licenses, that allow you to package them with your stuff.  Other mods are more restrictive, and don't allow you to do that.  Even the ones that do allow you to repackage, may have restrictions on what kind of license you can use, if you include their stuff.

In short:  it's complicated.  Before you try to publish this or any other mod, I strongly recommend that you read this post, in its entirety, and make sure you understand the details:

In particular, pay close attention to the requirements around licensing.  Executive summary looks like this:

• If your mod is entirely your own work (i.e. doesn't include anything from other people):
    • Then you have to pick a license to use, and you have to properly document it for people to see.
  • If you're including anyone else's work:
    • Then you still have to do the above,
    • But also, for each individual other-mod-you-include, you need to make sure their license allows you to include it, and that their license is compatible with your license, and that you've appropriately documented the original author.
On 10/24/2019 at 1:12 AM, HyperFun said:

Can you provide me with a template C# file? I am a complete newbie to C#.

Depending on what kind of mod you're making, you may or may not need to have any C# at all.  Broadly speaking, the game consists of:

• Functionality (game features)
  • Content (parts, planets)

If your mod works with the former (e.g. adding new features to the game), you'll generally need C# to do that.  On the other hand, if you're just producing content (e.g. new parts or planets), then that involves working with other stuff (e.g. models, textures, config files) and likely doesn't require any C# at all.

If you're brand-new to C# programming in general, I'd suggest downloading Visual Studio (it's free), installing it, and working from the online help.  There are also good books out there, I'd suggest picking one up.

If you're looking for specifically applying C# to KSP mods, then a great resource is to just look at existing mods.  One of the mod-posting rules here is that every mod must post a link to its complete source code, which means you have full access to every line of code in every code-using mod that's out there.  :)

Good luck!

Oh okay thanks. I have models from squad as a placeholder for now. I won't release it yet. I don't know how to even program in C# so I'm just doing content

Licensing seems to be a can of worms for this but I'll publish this once I ensure that I am the author for all the parts!

(I think the only real issue is the use of models from Squad...)

Edited by HyperFun

3 hours ago, HyperFun said:

I think the only real issue is the use of models from Squad

You don't need to bundle the models themselves to use them in your mod. They are already in the game. That being said, you should probably pay attention to the re-stock mod and take some extra steps to make your mod compatible with it.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.