Tales of the Groundbound: Münbound, Groundbound, Chapter 27

steuben

Chapter 27

Jorcott stood in the mock-up hall. A modified KOL module was propped up on its “side.” He flipped through the clipboard he was handed.

“Okay,” he said. “See if they shave the mass by twenty percent.”

The junior designer took the clipboard back. “I don’t know boss.” He flipped to the last page. He frowned. “Twenty percent… the design margin is pretty thin. We cut that much those margins will probably disappear.”

Jorcott nodded. “Yes. The supply margins are just as tight though.” He gestured to the module. “Until we can close the supply loops every kilo of dry mass shaved is another kilo of supplies that can be shipped.”

The hatch at one end of the module opened. Bob and Bill climbed out on to the adjacent platform.

“We’ve managed to partially close the loop on water. But the losses are still pretty bad.” He watched as Bob and Bill climbed down the ladder.  “And then there is the food… full loss, no recovery.” He paused and chuckled. “But, you know all this. The designers will complain for a while, and then they’ll try. I agree though, they probably won’t make it.” He shrugged. “I’ll take what I can get.”

Bob and Bill walked over and stopped in front of Jorcott.

“What do you think?” Jorcott said.

“Tight,” Bill said. “I know it has the same volume as a KOL mod. It just feels smaller.”

“We’re having to think in terms of square meters again, rather than cubic. “Bob said. “Don’t tell us that after all the time you’ve be Klik in a can, you’re getting claustrophobic.”

Bob chuckled, “no.” He ran is hands through his hair. “But, what about using the three seventy five hull instead?”

Jorcott shook his head. “It was pitched. But the time budget didn’t allow for it. Modifying the KOL design shortened much of the design time.”

“Yeah, I figured.” Bill shrugged. “Anyways, best bet is the pipes and heavy electrical in the floor and data-comm and light electrical in the ceiling. It shouldn’t be too hard to refit the cargo pods for more useable space once they are empty.”

“Yes,” Bob said. “Since we’re building on the KOL frame, much of the existing equipment should work. We may even be able to shave some mass since they won’t have to be rated for micro-grav.” He scratched the side of his face. “Though thinking about some of the stuff they’re working on up on the KOLs and coming out of agronomics and hydroponics… they figure they can hit ninety percent recycling on air and water, and maybe get some food besides.” He shrugged. “They’re probably over-estimating but even then as supply pods land we can re-fit them. If we stack enough of them we can get what we need for recovery.”

Jorcott looked at the module then at Bob. “You think they can figure it out?”

Bob looked up through one of the frosted skylights. “Well…” He scratched the side of his face. “He looked back down. “The science says ‘yes’.” He gestured through the walls of the hall. “The question is how much space? A couple of experiments suggest it would take about six square metres of wheat to produce enough oxygen for one kerbal.”

Bill looked over at another module mocked up in another part of the hall. ‘Yeah… could manage six maybe eight square-ems. One unit per kerbal.”

Jorcott nodded. “The retro kits will eat supp space.”

“But,” Bill said. “Spending now to save later.”

The young engineer chuckled. The rest looked at him.

“Sorry, “ he said. “I was thinking of my father. He was never higher than the top of his silo. The thought of him standing in the hatchway, a piece of straw in his mouth tending his crops, up there… on the Mün.”

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.