Spaceship Built-in Landing Legs

Rukongai

TL;DR

Is it possible to create a part that has all the functionality I need it to have like and also have deployable landing legs?

Long Version

I am trying to create Space-X's Starship and I want to have the Starship(the top piece) have deployable landing gear built in to it. I want them to have exactly the same functionality as normal landing legs but I do not want to add as secondary pieces outside. I can build them in the model and create animations in blender for them but other than that I have no idea how to procceed in order to create my idea. Please give me any tips you have and ideas. Any feedback is welcome.

Hi, unless things have substantially changed while i've been away, there's no way to do this using purely stock KSP, the problem comes from the landing gear modules, in that you can only have one per part, this means no suspension or self aligning foot. While you could hack it and just use simply animated legs, you would find them less than optimal in use. (rubbish!)

IT would be possible though to use KSPWheel, (the controlling code for Kerbal Foundries wheels and tracks)  a mod that allows for multiple suspension and wheel colliders on each part, it should be noted that KSPWheel setups are fairly complex and not for the fainthearted, but well worth the effort as it's a much better system than KSPs own.

On another note after many such builds in my early ksp modding career I'm of the opinion that while you can do this , build more or less one part ships, I don't think it's a good use of time. The problem is that inevitably the craft ends up being a compromise, yes it works, but boy if you had proper control of the drag, mass and COM of all the parts it would work a hell of a lot better. Without that it'll never fly right, especially over the varied conditions your craft will encounter. ( i wont mention the multitude of other self inflicted horrors you have to deal with on a one part craft)
Really don't want to rain on your parade and discourage a new mod maker,  I'm fairly certain that it'd be of far more use to you, from a modding experience viewpoint  if you made the craft in parts, ultimately it'll be easier and work better.

18 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi, unless things have substantially changed while i've been away, there's no way to do this using purely stock KSP, the problem comes from the landing gear modules, in that you can only have one per part, this means no suspension or self aligning foot. While you could hack it and just use simply animated legs, you would find them less than optimal in use. (rubbish!)

IT would be possible though to use KSPWheel, (the controlling code for Kerbal Foundries wheels and tracks)  a mod that allows for multiple suspension and wheel colliders on each part, it should be noted that KSPWheel setups are fairly complex and not for the fainthearted, but well worth the effort as it's a much better system than KSPs own.

On another note after many such builds in my early ksp modding career I'm of the opinion that while you can do this , build more or less one part ships, I don't think it's a good use of time. The problem is that inevitably the craft ends up being a compromise, yes it works, but boy if you had proper control of the drag, mass and COM of all the parts it would work a hell of a lot better. Without that it'll never fly right, especially over the varied conditions your craft will encounter. ( i wont mention the multitude of other self inflicted horrors you have to deal with on a one part craft)
Really don't want to rain on your parade and discourage a new mod maker,  I'm fairly certain that it'd be of far more use to you, from a modding experience viewpoint  if you made the craft in parts, ultimately it'll be easier and work better.

Aight I see I see well makes sense I have run into some problems with the game desing in the past when trying to create an auto lander. Well guess I'll try and see how it can be done differently. I can just split a part of the spaceship mesh and put it outside and make it the legs it all should be perfectly fine. Thanks a lot m8 for helping me out and letting me know :D. Though I'm still not sure how all the stuff works I'll figure it out as I go I guess! :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.