mod questions devs?

maxxor

will the coding be similar to ksp1 i heard the devs  use unity too. my question is will it be possible to just copy paste mods from ksp1 to ksp2 with minor tweaks to code and still use assets and configs to bring over cool stuff already made.

Short answer: We don't know. We won't and really can't until it comes out.

However my guess is that no mod will work without at LEAST a tweak or two. Most every single mod out there relies on the KSP API (or at least data in KSP that's stored in a specific way) and there is almost no reason to believe any of that will be the same for KSP2.

But as I said, there's no real way to KNOW until the game comes out.

They did say its a complete rewrite of the code (thank god) so the code/api from KSP1 prolly wont work because the variables and methods,functions in the code will all be different. Im guessing most stock assets (not the code just the meshes and textures) will probably be carried over from KSP 1 if you look at the video. Just a guess

Edited by Redneck

On 10/23/2019 at 1:52 AM, maxxor said:

will it be possible to just copy paste mods from ksp1 to ksp2 with minor tweaks to code and still use assets and configs to bring over cool stuff already made

I would estimate the probability at 0%.

I estimate the margin of error on my estimate above to be 0.0000000001%.

:)

I am not a professional software developer, however I do have some small knowledge of coding.

Happy landings! 

On 10/23/2019 at 12:52 AM, maxxor said:

will the coding be similar to ksp1 i heard the devs  use unity too. my question is will it be possible to just copy paste mods from ksp1 to ksp2 with minor tweaks to code and still use assets and configs to bring over cool stuff already made.

I think it's safe to assume that no KSP1 mod will work at all in KSP2. They're totally different pieces of software. It would be like trying to play a vinyl record in a CD player.

KSP2 will almost certainly require brand new mods written from scratch.