Telling On My Age....

Castille7

My fun little calculator I used in school/college:

Hp_67_powered.jpg

Yes, I was doing well then.  You could basically tell the poor math students from the rich math students in this era by whether they bought HP or Texas Instruments...  weird class divide from a different time (HPs were rich kid toys).

I'd later feel the other side of the economic spectrum pretty hard, but...  story for another day.

Edited by R-T-B

One of my earliest memories was during the oil crisis. My dad was saying that we should just send the military over to the Middle East and take the oil from the Arabs. It seemed like a good idea to me at the time. Since, you know, I was 5.

3 hours ago, Castille7 said:

@XB-70A This was one of my First games like that one

81CjnTr3H7L._SY679_.jpg

I remember having mine taken away from me by a teacher because I was playing it at an inappropriate time in school. Those were the days.

The first space simulator I ever played.

Spoiler

"Lunar landing", ES-1045 machine.

Screenshots are not available, but the hardware is same.

es1022.jpg

The second one, with source code and hardware.

Spoiler

page0055.jpg1507802438169320379.jpgElektronika_MK_52_with_accessories.jpg

(All photos are from internet).

P.S.
As the source code license is unknown, please don't use it in production...

Edited by kerbiloid

3 hours ago, R-T-B said:

"HP" and "71B" are ringing bells for me, It should be around here somewhere...
A bit more than a calculator, and a bit newer too, so that might be fitting as an age-clue.

I've never seen any core memory in person, but I was working on a machine with 4k bubble memory modules not a month ago. That stuff is like rockinghorse s* these days, and just as expensive.

Edited by steve_v

4 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Reveal hidden contents

es1022.jpg

Hide contents

P.S.

Ah, the Elektronika Mk-52, the last calculator designed and produced by the Soviet Union.  A classmate brought one in.  We always made fun of it becuase according to it, 2 squared was 3.999999997

Yes, it ended in 7.  Other than that it was a decent calculator and even had an eeprom bank, which was cool.

Edited by R-T-B

2 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

Yeah, I had TI calculators, first good one was this

And it was programmable, wow! :D 

Yup I STILL have my Texas Instr. SR-50 and an HP-41CX I got a bit later for my electronics career I was doing back then. Both of the Nicad batteries have been thrown away tho but they still work with walwarts. The HP did stuff that was amazing for back in the day.

10 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Yes, I was doing well then.  You could basically tell the poor math students from the rich math students in this era by whether they bought HP or Texas Instruments...  weird class divide from a different time (HPs were rich kid toys).

I'd later feel the other side of the economic spectrum pretty hard, but...  story for another day.

I think the HP - 67 was the one that Steve Wozniac had to sell so he could help get the funds to start Apple computer get its feet of the ground. Man that was a nice calc. At that time the HP 41 came out so I just had to get it. HP was always so cool.

11 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Hide contents

es1022.jpg

I played games on something similar.  The computer was in the machine room somewhere in the basement.  I played on either CRT terminals or Decwriter II paper printer terminals.  And later on, I wrote a simple lunar lander game. :)

5 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

Yeah, I had TI calculators, first good one was this

ti57-front.jpg

And it was programmable, wow! :D 

I didn't have one, but some of my friends had programmable calculators.  One TI model even could write and read little magnetic cards. :)

1 hour ago, Jacke said:

One TI model even could write and read little magnetic cards.

That was my last TI, yes, a TI-59

Pity the keys stopped to work properly over the years due to overuse, but that wonder machine helped me well during the university years :) 

Nice one, looks pretty modern :) 

I had this model:

3087423015f95b5a1b05284c576a0859.jpg

Yeah, mid 1960s :D 

And when I got a bit older, I used it like a roller: not sitting on the seat but grabbing the handlebar from behind, one foot on the rear crossbeam, the other foot pushing me forward off the ground - that was fast! :D 

Edited by VoidSquid

• 2 weeks later...

Well, applying to this thread about age and stuff, I thought this (KSP) was the 1st space related simulation I ever did, but no it wasn't. This was my first from 1982 with the old classic 48K dos3.3 Apple ][.

Please believe me, the graphics you see on the box cover was just the way stuff like this was sold back then!

What you saw was the 3 images on the screen below (with the earth to the left) in the sim itself. But really for a 1 megahertz machine back then and with storage, that was amazing.

Wow what a change in technology!

Rendezvous.jpg

1 hour ago, Fraston said:
On 10/25/2019 at 3:53 PM, Dirkidirk said:

while my mother was giving birth, this hurricane was on it's way to kill exactly 1,833 people, and it was directly on top of us.

Image result for hurricane katrina

Heyyyyyyy! Same!

Guys, you have a sis.

Spoiler

735698_original.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

AirAsia_A320-200(9M-AHR)_(5000899734).jp

Was born in December 29th 2004, went for the first plane ride somewhere in 2005, knew how to walk on 2005 as well.

I really remembered when we first descended an AirAsia's Airbus A320-100ceo heading for a vacation in Kundasang, Sabah.

After I stared at the CFM56's fan which at that time I was an infant, it looks very big to me that I felt like it was about to suck and devour me in (obv by that time both engines were already shut down). Which then made me stared and ran down the staircase. And that's the first time I knew how to walk. My family were very happy, but I was still pretty scared at such 'monster', until now. I no longer feared jet engines.

Obviously our A320 flight landed in Kota Kinabalu Intl. since landing in an airfield somewhere deep in the jungle would make it like an FSX:CC landing competition.

71QrNzKzdKL._SX425_.jpg

IDK whether my family, in which my Grandpa and Grandma came as well (aboard the same flight) played Bicycle cards or other brands, but for sure they've played Playing Cards. When I was asleep BTW. And since my Grandpa won most rounds, my family gave Grandpa the nickname "Jaguh Kundasang" (lit. Kundasang Champion).

My childhood was very awesome. Now, such chances were very difficult as my Grandpa and Grandma were deteriorating in health (but my Grandpa still can walk a bit and my Grandma still can sit and talk albeit minor stroke (?) on her legs). And my uncles and aunts already have their own family (my Mum was the eldest of her siblings).

Edited by FahmiRBLXian

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2019 at 5:25 PM, FahmiRBLXian said:

AirAsia_A320-200(9M-AHR)_(5000899734).jp

Was born in December 29th 2004, went for the first plane ride somewhere in 2005, knew how to walk on 2005 as well.

I really remembered when we first descended an AirAsia's Airbus A320-100ceo heading for a vacation in Kundasang, Sabah.

Hol up. DId you just announce to the world that you are a minor?

Anyway, seems like you were born near me and at the similar time. AYYYYYYY

My mother took my friend and me to see this when it first came out. Notice it was not called "A New Hope" nor was it "Episode IV."  There was no CGI awkwardly pasted onto it (we did not even know what that was) and Solo shot first.  It was Star Wars, plain and simple, and it blew our minds.

There was no on demand video or even VCRs. I saw it six times in the cinema in the first year.

09Lbqeb.jpg

Edited by Klapaucius

On 10/26/2019 at 5:27 PM, kerbiloid said:

Hide contents

es1022.jpg

Hide contents

P.S.

Just scanning through (and practicing my rusty Russian), so is that a Science Fiction club newsletter with a guest article?   I also see mention of an electronic games lovers club?

On 11/9/2019 at 12:19 AM, Castille7 said:

This was another early gaming system that was a bunch of fun

merlin.jpg

This was my first NASA toy

f5d7cd37bc1ebd582dfa57db554ec813.jpg

I had a Merlin, and I had forgotten about the air and water rockets!

1 hour ago, Klapaucius said:

Just scanning through (and practicing my rusty Russian), so is that a Science Fiction club newsletter with a guest article?   I also see mention of an electronic games lovers club?

A pop-sci-tech magazine for the youth.
Since mid-1980s there was a regular column "Club of Electronic Games" with source code of games for programmable calculators (on the photos).
Its epic and origin was the saga about the trip from the lunar base to the Earth of two spacemen in a small lunar hopper.

Every magazine issue there was a chapter of sci-fi text novel describing the current phase of the flight and a program to fly it yourself.
(Each program was ~100 steps long due to the calculator limitations).

The craft is a lunar hopper "Lunolyot" ("Lunar flier") with conic hull and round glass cupola on top, several tones heavy. Four legs. Presumably kerolox engine, 3660 m/s of ISP*g.
Every flight step the player inputs fuel mass to spend (usually ~tens kg), burn duration (usually ~seconds), and pitch angle.

Games (from memory). All of them - 2 d.

"Lunolyot-1" - The very beginning. The main hero and his son sit in a hopper, suddenly press ignition, and jump up. Only vertical flight, try to land at < 5 m/s vertical speed.

"Lunolyot-2" - Same hero meets a space pilot in the diner, both decide to get to the Earth for vacation by same local hopper. Parabolic flights, flat moon.

"Lunolyot-3", "Mascon", "Vershina"("Mountain Top"), "Orbital Station-1", "Orbital Station-2" - flights around the round Moon.
"L.-3" - simple flight and land, "M." - around the Moon with a mascon, "V." - around the Moon with a high mountain.
"OS-1&2" - rendez-vous and docking with a cylindric orbital station (protected from sides, throws the ship away, can dock only to the ends).
To get light and reach the orbital station they'd removed the legs, so no chance to land, only dock.

On the station they discuss various aspects of Solar System with additional mini-games exploiting bugs in the calculator firmware.

"Kepler". They fly from the LMO station to the Lagrange point station "Lagrange".

On the station they add a heatshield and an elevator (in plane sense).

"Atmosphere-1,-2" They fly from Lagrange to the Earth, aerobrake and splash.
Ballistic reenter and aerobraking by pitch or by roll (in different programs).

Later - similar program for a rocket plane on Mars, a program of hybride thermal airship, and several others.
Atmosphere-3, Orbital Station-3. etc/

No graphics, only numbers.

Edited by kerbiloid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.