Jump to content
  • 0

My KSP is broken


Lundmunchkins
 Share

Question

A few days ago, my KSP was working absolutely perfectly. It had no problems at all. Then one day I found an old craft file from 1.0. I decided to paste it into my sandbox savefile. I tried to load up the game and.... it stopped responding after the loading bar was full. Okay that’s weird, but I know why it’s happening, I thought. So I deleted the craft file and tried to load the game again. It still didn’t work. I checked the files again, apparently Steam redownloaded the craftfile. I went in and deleted it again, wash rince and repeat, it still would stop responding. I finally deleted the DLC’s, and the game finally started working again, and I went into the SPH and deleted the craft file in the game, ridding it for good. But the problem persists. For some reason. I cannot launch KSP with both DLC packs installed anymore. Everytime I try to the game freezes and stops responding right when the loading bar is full. I’ve tried everything, from manually deleting the game files to manually deleting all of Steam itself and reinstalling it but it still doesn’t work. What’s going on? How did I break my KSP? How do I fix it? Is it a KSP problem, a Steam problem, or do I have a problem with my computer? How do I fix it? Please, I just want to be able to play this wonderful game again. I’ve had it since 2012 and never had these problems before, it used to run perfectly on this laptop. What do I do? I can’t offer a crash report because KSP is not generating them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 2
27 minutes ago, Lundmunchkins said:

I was panicking

Panic is always a bad adviser.

Step by  step:

1. Copy your Steam-KSP installation to a different location, e.g. C:\KSP.bak
2. In Steam, disable cloud saves for KSP.
3. In Steam, uninstall KSP.
4. Quit Steam.
5. Delete the Steam-KSP installation folder.
6. Open Steam, redownload KSP, now you have a clean install.
7. Run the new KSP installation once to make sure it works properly.
8. Close KSP, quit Steam.
9. Copy the new KSP installation to a different location, e.g. C:\KSP
10. Open KSP_x64.exe from C:\KSP, should run fine.
11. Close KSP.
11. Copy the folder "saves" from C:\KSP.bak to C:\KSP
12. Open KSP_x64.exe from C:\KSP, try loading an old save game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

"A few days ago" you say... a few days ago the 1.8 update was released. Do you play directly from your Steam-downloaded installation? Chances are that you got the 1.8 update and this maybe broke your game, not that craft file. I remember when 1.7.3 came out, I also had to redownload the MH DLC as that got updated as well.

Also: if you're playing from your Steam-Installation, do you have cloud saves enabled? If yes, that may, despite you have deleted that old save, redownload it automatically.

In general, I recommend you make a copy of your KSP and play from that, do not play directly from the Steam download, that way no unwanted update surprises will ever hit you :) 

Edited by VoidSquid
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
20 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

"A few days ago" you say... a few days ago the 1.8 update was released. Do you play directly from your Steam-downloaded installation? Chances are that you got the 1.8 update and this maybe broke your game, not that craft file. I remember when 1.7.3 came out, I also had to redownload the MH DLC as that got updated as well.

Also: if you're playing from your Steam-Installation, do you have cloud saves enabled? If yes, that may, despite you have deleted that old save, redownload it automatically.

In general, I recommend you make a copy of your KSP and play from that, do not play directly from the Steam download, that way no unwanted update surprises will ever hit you :) 

The game was already updated to Moar Boosters, and it was running perfectly fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

You're playing without mods, then you should be able to copy your old installation including all save games to another place, delete your Steam KSP installation, delete any remaining folders/files manually, and redownload KSP, this way you'll a fresh and pristine installation.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
3 hours ago, Lundmunchkins said:

I can’t offer a crash report because KSP is not generating them.

So upload your output_log.txt, as detailed by the stickied support post I already linked you in your other thread.

As VoidSquid said, it's also a good idea to copy your install away from steam into some unprotected directory (i.e. not Program Files). Why don't you at least try it?

[grumble]Why is it always so difficult to get logs out of people around here? It's just a bloody text file, how hard can it be?[/grumble]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
59 minutes ago, steve_v said:

So upload your output_log.txt, as detailed by the stickied support post I already linked you in your other thread.

As VoidSquid said, it's also a good idea to copy your install away from steam into some unprotected directory (i.e. not Program Files). Why don't you at least try it?

[grumble]Why is it always so difficult to get logs out of people around here? It's just a bloody text file, how hard can it be?[/grumble]

If he is running 1.8 then it will be the Player.log, in the same place the output_log.txt used to be

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
8 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

You're playing without mods, then you should be able to copy your old installation including all save games to another place, delete your Steam KSP installation, delete any remaining folders/files manually, and redownload KSP, this way you'll a fresh and pristine installation.

 

I’ve tried deleting and reinstalling KSP so many times, including going into the files. Nothing works. What’s happening?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
18 minutes ago, Lundmunchkins said:

what was your advice?!

Read the support sticky I linked and follow the instructions,  then report back with the information you collected. 
This is what I mean by not listening: You you clearly didn't read the thing  I linked for you to read, or we'd be seeing some logs here and maybe even be making some progress. We're all volunteers, most of us are patient, but please try not to make us repeat things ad-nauseam.

Also try VoidSquad's suggestion, as it will stop steam from trolling you as it as it likes to do from time to time. Even if it doesn't solve the problem,  It can't hurt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
4 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Read the support sticky I linked and follow the instructions,  then report back with the information you collected. 
This is what I mean by not listening: You you clearly didn't read the thing  I linked for you to read, or we'd be seeing some logs here and maybe even be making some progress. We're all volunteers, most of us are patient, but please try not to make us repeat things ad-nauseam.

Also try VoidSquad's suggestion, as it will stop steam from trolling you as it as it likes to do from time to time. Even if it doesn't solve the problem,  It can't hurt.

Okay, I’ll try to make a report later. 
 

Also I’m a little confused by Void’s instructions.

Edited by Lundmunchkins
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
3 hours ago, Lundmunchkins said:

I’m a little confused by Void’s instructions.

 

20 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

I recommend you make a copy of your KSP and play from that, do not play directly from the Steam download, that way no unwanted update surprises will ever hit you

Sounds straightforward enough to me, make a copy of your KSP install directory somewhere outside steam, then launch the game from there. Presto, non-steam KSP install to test with.
The point of this is to stop steam from a) updating the game when you least expect it, b) putting files you remove back in again and thwarting your troubleshooting attempts, and c) loading a bunch of other stuff like steam libraries and overlays that muddy the waters when trying to locate a problem.
To be fair, it's unlikely to solve this, but it's a good idea anyway and it won't hurt to try it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
12 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

Why did you open two threads about that problem, @Lundmunchkins?

Have you read this post from @Salticus ?

Essentially he did what I suggested to you earlier, and his clean install works. I'm pretty sure you did not completely delete your old install.

 

I’m sorry about that, I was panicking a bit. So I did what you suggested, I copied my KSP files out of steam and tried playing it. It runs... but it’s missing a lot of files. A lot of part files are missing which makes the game completely unplayable. But it runs, with the dlc. So there must be something wrong with the KSP file... I’m just not sure how to fix it. If I could somehow delete whatever files steam has on the cloud I’d do that. I think it’s possible but I’m not sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
15 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

Panic is always a bad adviser.

Step by  step:

1. Copy your Steam-KSP installation to a different location, e.g. C:\KSP.bak
2. In Steam, disable cloud saves for KSP.
3. In Steam, uninstall KSP.
4. Quit Steam.
5. Delete the Steam-KSP installation folder.
6. Open Steam, redownload KSP, now you have a clean install.
7. Run the new KSP installation once to make sure it works properly.
8. Close KSP, quit Steam.
9. Copy the new KSP installation to a different location, e.g. C:\KSP
10. Open KSP_x64.exe from C:\KSP, should run fine.
11. Close KSP.
11. Copy the folder "saves" from C:\KSP.bak to C:\KSP
12. Open KSP_x64.exe from C:\KSP, try loading an old save game.

Where/what is C:\KSP.bak?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
8 hours ago, Lundmunchkins said:

Where/what is C:\KSP.bak?

It was a suggestion on where to copy your install to. C: is a disk, KSP.bak is a directory.... you know, simple entry-level "how to use a computer" stuff.

 

8 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

I'm outahere...

So am I, this is painful and my patience is at an end. Still no logs either...

It's this kind of thread that makes me question responding to support requests at all. They always end up making me want to punch myself.  PeriodicSereneArmedcrab.webp

Edited by steve_v
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...