Newb question - smoothing

I am completely new to modeling parts for KSP and near complete neophyte at Blender, so this is bound to be a dumb question...

I'm starting out by trying to create a thing that looks like a Tank.  1.25x.5m tank.  That's it.  And I've managed to do it, if you don't mind that the tank is faceted.

I've tried using a "Subdivision Surface Modifier", which makes the magic happen in Blender, but when I export it (via collada) and import it into Unity, its effect is gone.

The "Smooth" modifier alone seems to do absolutely nothing to help, and when I look at the manual, I get the impression that it's not the right tool for the job at all.

I can see how I could fix it by just making sure that when I generate my Cylinder in Blender that I make it have a whole lot of facets, but I somehow have the idea that's not the thing to do and it'll tank performance.

Any tips?  If somebody can at least point me at the magic word to google, I'd be obliged.

FWIW, here's the tutorial I've been following to learn the basics of Blender:  

And here's the video that I've been following to get a Blender model into KSP:

For fuel tanks I generally use the Faces | Smooth on the Shading/UV's tab and it exports to Unity by way of Collada without problem. In Blender, when exporting, under the "Export Collada" I have the "Apply Modifiers" "Selection Only" "Include Children" checked (along with a few others I'm not sure are needed). One note - KSP generally uses 24 sided cylinders for the tanks and other large stuff and if you use something different you'll get artifacts if your part is stack attached.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.