​​​​​​​Yeet

G'th

1 hour ago, G'th said:

Updated the 0.01 release with a proper download. Should be less big dumb now. 

I've been looking through Ad Astra and I found why you had to rename the folder name to make it work: there are no pass specifiers for its patches which mean they run in the legacy pass. This pass happens before the BEFORE/FOR/AFTER/LAST/FINAL passes. JNSQ also has its EVE patches done in this pass which means alphabetically, Ad was first, and JN came second.
It should1 be as easy as specifying a pass for your patches like FOR[Ad_Astra]. Then you can drop the z in zAd_Astra.

I also noticed some other quirks like deleting existing nodes to replace them with a copy that has one value changed. Is this intentional or a result of how you initially created the configs?

Locally I've made some changes that don't alter the end result but tidy up how it's done a bit. I can PR the ones that are relevant depending on the answer to the above.

1- Terms and Conditions apply ;)

Edited by Jognt

49 minutes ago, G'th said:

Below are the different attempts that have been tried and none of them have worked:

!Scatterer_atmosphere,*:FOR[scattererJNSQAVP] {}
%Scatterer_atmosphere:FOR[scattererJNSQAVP]
{
stuff
}

1. I'm unsure whether you can combine deletion of a node with both an index and a pass specifier so I'll believe you if you say that that doesn't work;
  2. There are several Scatterer_atmosphere nodes, so the usage here would be like trying to modify a part by using %PART:FOR. Which indeed won't work. If the first line (deletion) does not work, you can target each node specifically using @Scatterer_atmosphere:HAS[@Atmo:HAS[#name[Duna]]] and you can specify NEEDS[EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements,JNSQ] and FOR[Ad_Astra] unless you have a specific reason to opt for scattererJNSQAVP

@Scatterer_atmosphere,*:FOR[scattererJNSQAVP]
{
    !Atmo,* {}
}
@Scatterer_atmosphere:FOR[scattererJNSQAVP]
{
stuff
}

Same as above.

We were able to get to a point where we could get EVE's settings to load properly using this:

@EVE_CLOUDS:AFTER[JNSQ]
{
    !OBJECT,* {}
    OBJECT
    {
        // my stuff
    }
}

But for whatever reason applying the same idea to scatterer just refused to work, which if I had to hazard a guess is because Its both JNSQ's configs AND scatterer's default configs that need to be zeroed out before my mod can load properly. 

Doing the zAd_Astra thing with LAST just cut through all this garbage with brute force. 

Your scatterer changes were overwritten by JNSQ's because JNSQ also does their Scatterer patching AFTER[Scatterer]. And since J comes after A, your patch was done first, and theirs second.
I saw the LAST[Scatterer] usage and agree that it's a functional compromise because AFTER was taken. Doing zAd_Astra without changing the AFTER pass should have worked too though as that already moves your patch later in the pass. So using LAST with Ad_Astra would also work.
The zAd_Astra thing still helps with the pass-specifier-less EVE_TEXTURE_CONFIG, EVE_CLOUDS, and EVE_CITY_LIGHTS since those would again be in the same pass as JNSQ but be alphabetically first. Using FOR[Ad_Astra] would move it to later in the patching routine so you could then ditch the z. And I just realized how far I'm willing to go to drop a z from a name.. I'm not a perfectionist, I swear. Okay maybe a bit, but I'm not a perfect one!

Some more information on patch ordering and what happens where: https://github.com/sarbian/ModuleManager/wiki/Patch-Ordering

--------------

@EVE_CITY_LIGHTS:LAST[JNSQ]
{
{
	OBJECT
	{
		body = Kerbin
		cityLightsMaterial
		{
			_CityOverlayDetailScale = 50
			_CityOverlayTex
			{
				value = JNSQ/JNSQ_Textures/EVE/Textures/CityLights
			}
			_CityDarkOverlayDetailTex
			{
				value = JNSQ/JNSQ_Textures/EVE/Textures/night
			}
			_CityLightOverlayDetailTex
			{
				value = JNSQ/JNSQ_Textures/EVE/Textures/day
			}
		}
	}
}
}

This is from the Github currently:

1. One set of curly brackets too many (but you knew that one already ;))
  2. JNSQ adds these in the legacy pass, so there is no need to go for LAST. I'm also wondering why you're not going for the mod name like FOR[Ad_Astra], unless you want to skip the NEEDS bit in which case AFTER[JNSQ] would still be fine.
  3. As it is now the EVE_CITY_LIGHTS node is going to have its original content AND the values you stated in it. Either target all values using @ or % or create a new city lights node after removing the old one.

Something like this should work:

!EVE_CITY_LIGHTS:NEEDS[EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements,JNSQ]:FOR[Ad_Astra] {}

EVE_CITY_LIGHTS:NEEDS[EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements,JNSQ]:FOR[Ad_Astra]
{
	OBJECT
	{
		body = Kerbin
		cityLightsMaterial
		{
			_CityOverlayDetailScale = 50
			_CityOverlayTex
			{
				value = JNSQ/JNSQ_Textures/EVE/Textures/CityLights
			}
			_CityDarkOverlayDetailTex
			{
				value = JNSQ/JNSQ_Textures/EVE/Textures/night
			}
			_CityLightOverlayDetailTex
			{
				value = JNSQ/JNSQ_Textures/EVE/Textures/day
			}
		}
	}
}

The same is true for the other EVE files so I would clean those up ASAP.

My apologies for not having a clear answer regarding the indexed and timed operations. I don't have a lot of experience with those (yet).

I hope this helps!

Edited by Jognt

I'm in the process of installing v0.2 and I feel as though what I had to do to make it work, well is not how it was intended to be as my first attempt did not work. I looked at the EVE configs you have and the necessary file paths to the textures, and well I had to rearrange everything so it would work.

I did the following:

- Install the Ad_Astra folder

- Open the 43k clouds zip, extract them, and then create a new folder inside textures called Cubemaps, and then placed the Kerbin folder with the actual cubemaps inside that

- Open the AVP 8k textures zip, then navigated all the way down to the Textures folder, and installed that into the textures folder of Ad_Astra, then deleted the included City Lights folder as the city lights are from JNSQ not AVP.

Now because I understand how EVE configs and filepaths to make this stuff work all interact, I was able to troubleshoot it and install it correctly after my second attempt. However, if I was not as KSP mod experienced, and I was going solely off of the readme.md included in the download, well I would not end up installing it correctly as it said:

Base Textures:
https://github.com/themaster402/AstronomersVisualPack/releases

Download resolution of choice and install to Ad_Astra. If it asks to overwrite anything, permit it to do so. 

and

43k Cloud Pack (My personal versions with working mipmaps):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2rfr4peet8ocwgt/43k CubeMaps.7z?dl=0

Download and install to Ad_Astra. If it asks to overwrite anything, permit it to do so. 

I think the bolded text is just a little too vague as even I messed up the install the first time, since I opened up the zip files to gamedata -> mod name -> and then installed all the files and folders here into Ad_Astra, which led to the majority of textures being located now:

Ad_Astra -> EVE -> Textures

instead of the intended

Ad_Astra -> Textures

and the cubemaps being

Ad_Astra -> Textures -> Kerbin

instead of 

Ad_Astra -> Textures -> Cubemaps -> Kerbin

like it needed to be in order for the configs to work.

Overall though, really impressed with your work and I understand that little things like this slip up and go unnoticed as the majority of your focus is on the content of your mod and it's amazing visuals!

Just got this working, got about 30 fps on Kerbin at launch. In orbit got about 60 fps with a bunch of other essential parts & functions mods + 43k clouds so I’m happy! This is with a 3 year old gaming laptop so it feels well optimised!

Now I just wish I had some more time to play, hard with a wife and baby ^_^ if someone can mod in about 6 more hours into my life every day I’d be forever grateful! 

Anyway thanks so much, love your mod to bits, I really do! Fantastic work!:rep: