Deployed Batteries

Salticus

So as I set up a deployed science Base on minmus I realised, it actually doesnt do much science, because half of the time it has no power, since I haven't unlocked the RTG yet. So why are there no deployable Batteries? It should be like very other deployable module, maybe a small Tower with batterys attached to the sides of it or whatever. Would make early game Science bases way more productive.

Edit: I am talking about the deployable Science Base mechanics from breaking Ground.

Edited by Salticus

6 minutes ago, Salticus said:

So as I set up a deployed science Base on minmus I realised, it actually doesnt do much science, because half of the time it has no power, since I haven't unlocked the RTG yet. So why are there no Batteries? It should be like very other deployable module, maybe a small Tower with batterys attached to the sides of it or whatever. Would make early game Science bases way more productive.

Why cant you just add a battery?

5 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Why cant you just add a battery?

What I am talking about are those deployed science bases from Breaking ground. Where you need Kerbals to set them up and store them in Containers.

How would one deploy a battery in the context of KSP? The only method I can currently see is the enabling/disabling of the battery like on fuel tanks.

Can batteries be stored in inventory and installed later in Breaking Ground, like they could be with Kerbal Inventory/Attachment Systems mods? That may fix your issue in the short term if that's possible.

1 hour ago, SchwinnTropius said:

How would one deploy a battery in the context of KSP? The only method I can currently see is the enabling/disabling of the battery like on fuel tanks.

Can batteries be stored in inventory and installed later in Breaking Ground, like they could be with Kerbal Inventory/Attachment Systems mods? That may fix your issue in the short term if that's possible.

Well , in breaking ground you have specific science modules and solar panels that can be placed in an inventory and then deployed. But only specific modules, you can't just take some stock battery and place it there.

That is an interesting idea.  The only thing more annoying than the "transmitted .0001 science back to Kerbin" message spam was the "couldn't transmit" spam.   It could by default store enough power to send a single transmission, and using higher level engineers could increase that to 2 or 3 transmissions or something like that.

I would add to this that batteries should consume 2 power during the day, and provide power only at night, so to power a science station that needs 3 panels during the day, you should need 3 batteries for the night, and then additional panels to power/charge the batteries during the day.

8 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

I would add to this that batteries should consume 2 power during the day, and provide power only at night, so to power a science station that needs 3 panels during the day, you should need 3 batteries for the night, and then additional panels to power/charge the batteries during the day.

That really needs more definition.  For example, how long is "night"?  It depends on the planet.  For example, Kerbin, night is 3 hours.  Mun, I believe it's 7-8 hours, etc.

And the "consuming" kind of makes sense, but rather than adding yet another mechanic, why not allow the batteries to simply recharge during the day using the normal EC rules?

14 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

That really needs more definition.  For example, how long is "night"?  It depends on the planet.  For example, Kerbin, night is 3 hours.  Mun, I believe it's 7-8 hours, etc.

And the "consuming" kind of makes sense, but rather than adding yet another mechanic, why not allow the batteries to simply recharge during the day using the normal EC rules?

The problem is that the system, as it is now, doesn't use EC or have any consumables at all. Its more like a "you must construct additional pylons" supply system.

Day length is different, sure - so is distance from the sun, but afaik that also doesn't change power output, somehow the solar panels produce the same power on more distant bodies - so with that simplification already in place, I suggest that the batteries are simplified too. They last the night, defined as when the solar panels aren't supplying power,  and consume power when solar panels would produce it. If they don't get needed power in the day, they go offline, and can't supply power in the night

I suppose I shouldn't' be surprised.  I haven't used any of the new deployable parts, so wasn't aware of this.

I'm looking at the configs now.  Blech!

Why did they have to invent yet another power method?

I'm wondering if I can write something which will provide "powerUnits" from EC?I think the only thing I'd need would be a model for this, the code isn't too difficult, would just need to configure the conversion

It does seem a shame that many of the existing parts, like batteries and fuel cells aren't usable as part of deployed science setups.  The whole DeployedScience parts category appears disconnected from the rest of the game and it would be great if it could be closer integrated by providing some interconnectivity.

Just now, Linkageless said:

It does seem a shame that many of the existing parts, like batteries and fuel cells aren't usable as part of deployed science setups.  The whole DeployedScience parts category appears disconnected from the rest of the game and it would be great if it could be closer integrated by providing some interconnectivity.

It's on my list of things to do for my stream tonight

12 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

An update.  I made a lot of progress, have a working prototype.  Need to do a few more things before releasing it.  One to two weeks should do it.

That's great!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.