How many systems/what kinds of systems will there be?

How many systems total?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. How many systems total?

• 3-5
    • 5-10
    • 11-25
    • 25+
  2. 2. What types do you want to see? (please pick 4)

• Nebulae
    • Black holes
    • All Jovian
    • Asteroid belt
    • Exotic star types (red, giant, white dwarf, neutron, etc...)
    • Binary/Trinary systems
    • Young system
    • Real Solar system
    • Living planets

We know outside of re-texturing the Kerbol system will remain untouched. How many other systems will be added to the universe? What will we see, and what do you want to see?

Edited by mcwaffles2003
pressed enter before finished

2 hours ago, kspnerd122 said:

yep I hope to see binary systems and exotic stars a black hole would be overkill

Why? Visually it would be great and orbital mechanics are still the same. I would love it. A system like eve that is hardcore. 

To go down the list:

Nebulae - I don't think there would actually be anything to notice gameplay-wise, in a Nebulae.  It'd tint the skybox if you're inside it, and that's about it.

Black holes - It might be interesting, but the really interesting parts of it would require N-body and relativity to be evident.  Without those (and without things like life-support and radiation) it's basically just a slightly more dense star.

All Jovian - Would be interesting, especially if they all had multiple moons.

Asteroid belt - Do you mean lots of little bodies on rails?  I think that might just be tedious, actually.  If they're not on rails (so you can move them, etc.) then how many should there be in the world at startup?  They're going to basically be overhead if they're constant and persistent, dragging down frame rates.  Something like KSP1's asteroids work well, and I would like to see them set to spawn in various solar systems.

Exotic star types (red, giant, white dwarf, neutron, etc...) - Fully interested here - though note for most practical purposes you won't notice all that much.  They basically affect how close you can get to the star and how much light it's giving off.

Binary/Trinary systems - Planets or stars?  Either way, I'm in.  Would be interesting to have binaries with planets orbiting one star, or orbiting their barycenter.

Young system - Might be fun, might be boring - how would you know a system is young?  If it's young enough to seriously notice, are there any planets?  If there are planets, can you tell it from a not-so-young system?

Real Solar system - While it would be an interesting easter egg, I think it would feel out of place.  The scale and gravity would be all off from the rest of the universe.

4 minutes ago, DStaal said:

To go down the list:

Nebulae - I don't think there would actually be anything to notice gameplay-wise, in a Nebulae.  It'd tint the skybox if you're inside it, and that's about it. 

Not all Nebulae are simple luminous molecular clouds, some, like the Orion nebula, are star forming so perhaps we could see stellar nurseries as one example

6 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Young system - Might be fun, might be boring - how would you know a system is young?  If it's young enough to seriously notice, are there any planets?  If there are planets, can you tell it from a not-so-young system?

In a younger system most/all the planets would have rings as planet formation hasn't totally completed

7 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Asteroid belt - Do you mean lots of little bodies on rails?  I think that might just be tedious, actually.  If they're not on rails (so you can move them, etc.) then how many should there be in the world at startup?  They're going to basically be overhead if they're constant and persistent, dragging down frame rates.  Something like KSP1's asteroids work well, and I would like to see them set to spawn in various solar systems.

Since rings should be physical, from what I hear, in the new game I see no reason why one couldn't be placed around a star in between planets. 

19 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Black holes - It might be interesting, but the really interesting parts of it would require N-body and relativity to be evident.  Without those (and without things like life-support and radiation) it's basically just a slightly more dense star.

I'm curious, if prncipia was possible as a mod to make an N-body system in ksp 1 could it be possible to implement a special relativity mod? 

11 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Not all Nebulae are simple luminous molecular clouds, some, like the Orion nebula, are star forming so perhaps we could see stellar nurseries as one example

Sure, but that just means a cluster of young stars with possibly a skybox tint.  Still nothing that really affects gameplay.

In a younger system most/all the planets would have rings as planet formation hasn't totally completed

Point - and yes, that could be interesting.

Since rings should be physical, from what I hear, in the new game I see no reason why one couldn't be placed around a star in between planets. 

Hmm.  Could work.  I'd be worried about just how physical they are however - would you be able to land on/mine them?  Move them?  (And of course asteroid belts are very diffuse - it's not like you have to maneuver through them.)

I'm curious, if prncipia was possible as a mod to make an N-body system in ksp 1 could it be possible to implement a special relativity mod? 

I suspect it would be.  However it's a lot of extra compute for not much difference in nearly all cases.  Though thinking about it there would likely be one defined reference viewpoint, which would make things be a bit odd...

19 hours ago, DStaal said:

I suspect it would be.  However it's a lot of extra compute for not much difference in nearly all cases.  Though thinking about it there would likely be one defined reference viewpoint, which would make things be a bit odd...

I suspect it could be made conditional so it's effects only kick in at >.1c or something and it's been a while since I've worked with them but I'm pretty sure you can do lorrentz transformationswith a simple matrix so I don't think it would be too computationally intensive, especially if you can treat each ship as 1 entity

Sure, but that just means a cluster of young stars with possibly a skybox tint.  Still nothing that really affects gameplay.

This game isn't just about gameplay but learning and exploring as well. Let us all build an intuition for what going to a place like this would be like. Perhaps we could kill 2 birds with 1 stone and place multiple young star systems inside the nebula

Hmm.  Could work.  I'd be worried about just how physical they are however - would you be able to land on/mine them?  Move them?  (And of course asteroid belts are very diffuse - it's not like you have to maneuver through them.)

You mean it's not like in star wars? :P

Seriously though it could be a place filled with a higher spawn rate for asteroids to mine for refueling during interplanetary or interstellar travel and maybe house some very large asteroids >1km across

Edited by mcwaffles2003

On 28 October 2019 at 12:36 PM, DStaal said:

Unless there's the option to scoop up Hydrogen from the nebula.

It'd be pretty easy to tell if it's a very young system. For reference, just look how different our solar system was 4.5 billion years ago.

Real Solar system - While it would be an interesting easter egg, I think it would feel out of place.  The scale and gravity would be all off from the rest of the universe.

As a separate game mode it'd be good.

On 10/27/2019 at 10:41 PM, mcwaffles2003 said:

Do you guys think all the systems will be laid out along a fairly flat plane or in all directions 

Plane, as that's basically how every system would be. Captured planets can orbit any which way (but even they tend to end up in the plane unless they happen to have very young or very resonant orbits) but anything big enough to be interesting would be expected to be more or less in the ecliptic.

31 minutes ago, ChrisSpace said:

Unless there's the option to scoop up Hydrogen from the nebula.

So a system that has no discerning features except fuel scoops work a little better? Sure why not?

31 minutes ago, ChrisSpace said:

It'd be pretty easy to tell if it's a very young system. For reference, just look how different our solar system was 4.5 billion years ago.

I wasn't paying attention back then, and didn't take pictures.

Edited by 5thHorseman

3 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Plane, as that's basically how every system would be. Captured planets can orbit any which way (but even they tend to end up in the plane unless they happen to have very young or very resonant orbits) but anything big enough to be interesting would be expected to be more or less in the ecliptic.

I meant as in what direction from the ecliptic of the kerbolar system must we go to get to other systems. Just hoping we actually really utilize 3D instead of continuing out on a plane. Should make slingshoting a bit more fun as it's gunna be a HUGE delta-v saver

3 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

I meant as in what direction from the ecliptic of the kerbolar system must we go to get to other systems. Just hoping we actually really utilize 3D instead of continuing out on a plane. Should make slingshoting a bit more fun as it's gunna be a HUGE delta-v saver

Ah yes I hope that as well, that the stars are distributed in 3d space with randomly tilted ecliptics. If they are not and it's possible to modify them to be so, I will be doing that as one of the first things in the game, right after I make the changes to the base system that I've always wanted and wished they were doing :D

Not sure how much of a savings it will give, if you accelerate to a fraction of c and then slow back down at the destination, it'll be akin to the savings you get by coasting down your driveway before starting your car to drive cross country.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

There's no variation in that idea, it would be quite bad to make every exoplanet a gas giant. How about replace that option with 'Life-bearing' or something.

Added it and I was asking if a system composed of gas giants would be liked, not every single new planet...

On 10/28/2019 at 1:36 AM, DStaal said:

Still eye candy, like SpaceEngine has proven.

Black holes could be used to do course corrections thanks to their strong gravity. Normal stars would do kraken all at 10% of c.

All Jovian - Would be interesting, especially if they all had multiple moons.

All jovian would be BORING. Idk why people seem to like this idea, but no variation of planets isn't something I want to see in KSP 2.

KSP 1 already has an asteroid belt. There's no dense clusters of 'em like in Star Wars, but that's the harsh truth of reality.

Exotic star types (red, giant, white dwarf, neutron, etc...) - Fully interested here - though note for most practical purposes you won't notice all that much.  They basically affect how close you can get to the star and how much light it's giving off.

They could pose challenges to crew safety and temperature management.

Binary/Trinary systems - Planets or stars?  Either way, I'm in.  Would be interesting to have binaries with planets orbiting one star, or orbiting their barycenter.

There's already the Hourglass Twins Rask and Rusk, and ST has stated that they are making a custom solution for this binary planet.

A protoplanetary disk could be a problem with avoiding debris. You're thinking a solar system sized field of tiny particles of dust rushing at you at km/s.

I agree, but as a difficulty option (and as someone who wants to kamikaze their house at .1c) this would be acceptable.

39 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

All jovian would be BORING. Idk why people seem to like this idea, but no variation of planets isn't something I want to see in KSP 2.

It's basically a 'lite' version of a binary/trinary system, with several small 'suns' with their own sets of 'planets' (moons).

Even without, it looks like the game may have space-based ISRU, so it could be a good refueling point.

I don't think we'd want lots of them - but one such system in the game universe would be interesting.

Just now, magnemoe said:

With living planet I assume an planet with life. 
One will have oxygen so I assume life and probably some alien vegetation. 
Something like an neutron star or large white dwarf would be fun. 

The slingshot plays alone would be awesome