Developer Insights #1 is now LIVE!

PulsarPixie

KSP2_AnimaticTrailer_1080p_THUMBNAIL.jpg

Hi Kerbonauts! As many of you have already seen, our very first Kerbal Space Program 2, Developer Insights #1 Post, is now live. You can read all the behind the scenes details on our Community post here.

This forum post will serve as a space for conversation and discussion around this Developer Insights #1 post. Feel free to share your thoughts, opinions and whether you could identify the one engine no one has been able to yet!

If you want another look at the KSP2 Announce Animatic, here it is again.

we’re still hard at work in the radness mines, discovering and extracting new veins of totally sweet gameplay. I’m very sorry for this last sentence, but I’m leaving it in.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this sentence means something more

Totally not caves and mining resources, no, no.

What’s mildly disappointing thing is we supposedly still haven’t figured what that one drive is, despite several suggestions  that I have seen that it may be a metallic Hydrogen fusion  and metallic anti Hydrogen fusion  - matter antimatter reaction engine.but then they probably don’t pay attention to Russian Language vids as it’s not native to them, and to be honest using a theoretical metallic anti hydrogen fusion drive that is pumped by a theoretical Metalic hydrogen drive puts the bat excrements crazy in bat excrements crazy. Oh sorry back on track..

its mildly disappointing because either it’s not batexcrements crazy enough. Or it’s too bat excrements.

Edited by [email protected]

6 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

What’s mildly disappointing thing is we supposedly still haven’t figured what that one drive is, despite several suggestions  that I have seen that it may be a metallic Hydrogen fusion  and metallic anti Hydrogen fusion  - matter antimatter reaction engine.but then they probably don’t pay attention to Russian Language vids as it’s not native to them, and to be honest using a theoretical metallic anti hydrogen fusion drive that is pumped by a theoretical Metalic hydrogen drive puts the bat excrements crazy in bat excrements crazy. Oh sorry back on track..

its mildly disappointing because either it’s not batexcrements crazy enough. Or it’s too bat excrements.

Which one is the unidentified one? 

6 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Which one is the unidentified one? 

I'm pretty sure it's this one:

Lf20SMu.png

Which is referred to as a 'Compound Drive' - but what that means no one's sorted out yet.  It's hard to speculate without any more info - it's likely got something involving metallic hydrogen, but the question is if it's just a cluster of smaller drives, or if it's something more exotic is an open question.  (And if it's something more exotic, what?  Something dual mode?  Some sort of ion enhancement system?)

Whatever it is, no one's come up with a good explanation for that nozzle design that I've seen, really.  Best is some sort of cluster, but even that's odd.

NThey are being a bit vague about it for som reason. But he did mention that as of the day he recorded that video one engine that they had in that trailer has still not been identified.

I think most people think it’s referring to the second “ compound” engine.  

Note I personally doubt it’s a Aeroplug engine, as that is a SSTO engine. That seemed to be in deep space and in use.

Edited by [email protected]

2 hours ago, The Aziz said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that this sentence means something more

Totally not caves and mining resources, no, no.

I have no doubt that there is some meaning in that sentence, but it's really abstract. It can mean that they are working on resources, or ways to engage the player, or still trying to hammer out the details for one or both. But it's proof that they don't have real info that they can or are willing to share at this time. 

The other theory I have seen is it’s based on the Hybrid Fusion Fission reactor the Russians are working on. IE it could be designed to work as either a Fusion jet or as a nuclear thermal rocket, or even as a basic metalic hydrogen rocket, which gives you three choices on how to use it based on what you need it to do. Ie metallic Hydrogen for launches and when you need to be environmentally friendly. Nuclear thermal rocket, when Radiation is not a problem and or The combo fusion Fission Hybrid for when you want to go full bore torch ship.

5 hours ago, DStaal said:

I'm pretty sure it's this one:

Lf20SMu.png

Which is referred to as a 'Compound Drive' - but what that means no one's sorted out yet.  It's hard to speculate without any more info - it's likely got something involving metallic hydrogen, but the question is if it's just a cluster of smaller drives, or if it's something more exotic is an open question.  (And if it's something more exotic, what?  Something dual mode?  Some sort of ion enhancement system?)

Whatever it is, no one's come up with a good explanation for that nozzle design that I've seen, really.  Best is some sort of cluster, but even that's odd.

So are we to assume the center engine (presumably metallic hydrogen for the white flame?) and the outer engines are actually 1 engine? 

7 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

So are we to assume the center engine (presumably metallic hydrogen for the white flame?) and the outer engines are actually 1 engine? 

Good question!  I generally assume so, but they might be separate.

43 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Good question!  I generally assume so, but they might be separate.

I wanna guess they are since theyre getting rid of the mammoth because its 4 engine design will be redundant with mounting plates. The outer 8 engines I will guess are some low TWR high ISP engines unless theyre surface pressure optomized chemical engines but no clue on the middle as niche possible future rocket tech isn't my specific area of knowledge

15 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

I wanna guess they are since theyre getting rid of the mammoth because its 4 engine design will be redundant with mounting plates. The outer 8 engines I will guess are some low TWR high ISP engines unless theyre surface pressure optomized chemical engines but no clue on the middle as niche possible future rocket tech isn't my specific area of knowledge

Given the design of the ship (not areodynamic at all) I seriously doubt it would be surface pressure optimized.  Something with a different TWR/ISP ratio would make sense - if they are indeed separate engines.

Either way, we're likely getting a bit off-topic here.  We do have a thread for speculation about the engines: