Mapping an Xbox 360 controller under Settings

Hello

I have read on steam that it is possible to map a wired Xbox 360 controller to Kerbal Space Program manually. I have been able to map the coloured buttons, the left and right paddles, the 'back' and 'start' buttons as well as the left and right stick buttons but unfortunately the left and right triggers, the d-pad and the left and right stick axes do not appear to be recognised.

I should also point out that my version of Kerbal Space Program appears to be 1.8.0.2686 (WindowsPlayer x64) en-us is completely unmodded and does not have any of the official expansions loaded.

The following provides a little more detail about my problem if required:

From the main menu I go to 'Settings' and to 'Input' then under the 'Flight' tab, I attempt to map the controls I want using the assignment options under 'Rotation' and 'Throttle' ('yaw left', 'yaw right' etc.). I click on one of the grey buttons (normally the one furthest to the right) for each entry and then I am presented with a contextual dialogue box that instructs me to 'press a key or joystick button' for said assignment option. When I provide an input that is accepted (eg. press on the Y button) the highlighted entry (eg. 'None') following the words 'Current Assignment', changes to something else relevant (eg. 'joystickbutton1').

In the case of the the 'LT' and 'RT' triggers; the axes of the left and right sticks and the d-pad the 'Current Assignment' entry remains unchanged.

Any help will be gratefully received

Thank you

Edited by Poham III

The in-game controller support has always sucked and always will, because the devs just don't give a crap about it. Even if you got it working as intended, you'd soon run into annoying limitations that will keep forcing you back to the keyboard.

Your best bet is to use Steam's own gamepad configurator to map it, it's somewhat complicated due to having a lot of options, but it guarantees you'll be able to get about 95% of the mappings you want, the way you want them, even including more complex things like modifiers and mode switches.

To use the configurator, go to Steam > Big Picture mode > [Name of game] > Manage Game > Controller configuration. It's possible to do this outside of Big Picture mode, but that version of the tool is buggy and frustrating in my experience. Don't worry, once your mappings are saved you won't have to use Big Picture mode anymore, it's just while you edit the controls.

Feel free to shoot a message if you want a hand, the options there can be overwhelming if you don't already know what they do.

On 10/29/2019 at 8:04 AM, Poham III said:

In the case of the the 'LT' and 'RT' triggers; the axes of the left and right sticks and the d-pad the 'Current Assignment' entry remains unchanged.

Make sure that you are binding them on the right half of the screen (the part where it says "axes") and NOT to the the button/key mappings.

19 hours ago, Sirius628 said:

Make sure that you are binding them on the right half of the screen (the part where it says "axes") and NOT to the the button/key mappings.

Thanks Sirius628 I was not aware of this I will give this a try. Thankyou for taking the time to answer my question.

Just and edit to say that I gave it a try and it has worked. Thankyou again.

Edited by Poham III
additional thanks

On 11/1/2019 at 5:02 AM, Liquid said:

The in-game controller support has always sucked and always will, because the devs just don't give a crap about it. Even if you got it working as intended, you'd soon run into annoying limitations that will keep forcing you back to the keyboard.

Your best bet is to use Steam's own gamepad configurator to map it, it's somewhat complicated due to having a lot of options, but it guarantees you'll be able to get about 95% of the mappings you want, the way you want them, even including more complex things like modifiers and mode switches.

To use the configurator, go to Steam > Big Picture mode > [Name of game] > Manage Game > Controller configuration. It's possible to do this outside of Big Picture mode, but that version of the tool is buggy and frustrating in my experience. Don't worry, once your mappings are saved you won't have to use Big Picture mode anymore, it's just while you edit the controls.

Feel free to shoot a message if you want a hand, the options there can be overwhelming if you don't already know what they do.

Thank you Liquid this has worked though as you mentioned the setup is quite complicated. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.