Kerbal Space Program 1.8.1 is live!

UomoCapra

On 10/30/2019 at 5:21 PM, nestor said:

Thanks for the info. That matches what we have seen in some other reports. We are still investigating this issue. This is the bug if you want to keep track of it.

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/23977

In the meantime the only workaround we have identified is lowering the terrain shader quality or the render quality. 

Ah, head of production.

Well sorry but not sorry to attract your attention right now but I feel my DLC is incomplete. Very nice to have electric motors, turboshaft engines, rotorblades and propeller blades.

But somehow it seems you guys forget that these are meant to function in an atmosphere. Where fast physical interaction with gaseous molecules produces an experience.

I've produced mods myself. Never would I release them without that vital part of the experience: sound.

Can you convince me to sell me the next DLC? Maybe just spit-polish the last one :wink:

The alternative is just leave this platform and wait for KSP2.

14 hours ago, Sppion1 said:

Well, here's hoping there will be 1.8.2. I don't really want to resume playing until robotics are fixed, to be honest. Especially in my career save, where a bunch of crafts relies on robotics to work. I can temporarily not use it, but at the end of the day I'm not liking this feeling of "non-completeness" at the back of my mind. It bothers me. 

8 hours ago, dok_377 said:

It bothers me. 

I can relate. But after years in KSP I got kinda blunted. There is always something missing it seems. Play an older version to have the full mod set - miss out on a new mod, or have to deal with an old bug or little oversight. Always stay with the latest release, well, constant waiting for hotfixes etc. Get used to a version, they drop a new one, tempting you to move on too.

1.3.1 is still my main game, with some 1.6.1. sprinkled in between. Hopes are still up for 1.8.X. Lets see. But I dont think it will ever stop, nor that KSP2 will be any different.

On 11/13/2019 at 12:21 AM, dok_377 said:

at the end of the day I'm not liking this feeling of "non-completeness" at the back of my mind. It bothers me.

I've had that feeling with KSP, the base game, for a long time now. It's sort of a backdrop thing that has become part of the KSP 'experience'. I've stopped expecting any change to that. It's not even the serious bugs. Just so many little things with easy fixes that remain in the game to this day, with ancient bug or feedback reports that linger on without attention.

Symmetry rotation issues that just require a reorientation of the model or texture to fix. Textures that are demonstrably upside down, or badly aligned. Clearly visible shader errors. Illogical choice of default part parameters that have been reported and community-patched ages ago and still remain in the base game. Incomplete part sets that miss crucial parts to be able to build a consistent looking stack.

Then there's the game systems that were added and never fleshed out or used only in very partial manner: part upgrades and variants, G-force and pressure limits, tracking mechanics. Dare I even mention the tech tree? And 'features' that only ever caused problems and never really solved the 'issue' they were supposedly introduced for (*cough* "cannot deploy while stowed" *cough*), only to be 'fixed' by -optionally and only partially- disabling it again. Wheels and gear that apparently will just never again work as one would expect it to... as they once did.

Some of these things can be user-patched by editing the files. And of course there's mods. Eventually I'll cave and decide on my 'least-objectionable' patch version and then resort to hand-edits and mods to fix it for my own games. Probably with a pure stock 1.3.1 on the side for craft sharing or challenges. That I'm still waiting to decide on what version that'll be I guess shows I still think there's a chance of a better one.

I love KSP, it's at the very top of my favourite games, and I own several thousands of them. But it's disheartening getting to the point where you don't really expect it to ever be a polished game anymore.

On 11/13/2019 at 8:54 AM, Dafni said:

1.3.1 is still my main game

Still is for me too. Despite some glaring issues, overall it's the best compromise between performance and working features vs missing QoL stuff and new/worse bugs. For pure stock players anyway - if you want DLC or mods, you're out of luck.

3 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

It's not even the serious bugs.

The one that I mentioned above is pretty serious. And you absolutely can't patch that yourself, it's in the code. I'm ready to move my career save to 1.8, it seems pretty stable and solid for what it is, but that one bug is stopping me like a brick wall. Just because I don't want all my crafts with servos to get screwed. The robotics are a big part of the game for me, but for now it's not worth it to just try to ignore the obvious. I can't play like that. 

3 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

But it's disheartening getting to the point where you don't really expect it to ever be a polished game anymore.

Well, I never expect it to be polished, I just want the servos to work as they should and not like they behave now. I live with little things and inconsistencies no problem, but when a part of the game is out-right broken - that's beyond me and I'm expecting it to be fixed. 

I am not any kind of serious game player. Maybe at best 10 different ones over the last 15 years. Moving from the demo last month to 1.8.1 of KSP now is the most phenomenal game I have ever played and honestly, it has changed my gaming, hobby and maybe my way of looking at space and rocketry all over again. :science:

On 11/14/2019 at 3:13 AM, swjr-swis said:

Still is for me too. Despite some glaring issues, overall it's the best compromise between performance and working features vs missing QoL stuff and new/worse bugs. For pure stock players anyway - if you want DLC or mods, you're out of luck.

Not out of luck, just confined to the mods that existed then. All those old versions are still out there on Spacedock and Github.

Seems like there is something wrong with the new turbofan blades.  If you install a pair of the counter-rotating engines, the thrust vector on one side will point in the wrong direction.  You end up having to do something screwy with inverting and you then have one set of blades optically facing in the wrong direction (painted stripes facing wrong way).  Rotors and propellers work fine in this respect.

Anyone posted a bug tracker item for this?  (I looked but my keyword attempts came up empty.)

Edit:  After further review... the turbofan blades are fine.   Rather, it was a problem with the KAL-1000 that was causing issues. 

Edited by XLjedi

• 2 months later...