Kerbal Space Program 1.8.1 is live!

UomoCapra

On 10/30/2019 at 1:08 AM, JPLRepo said:

Do you have AMD graphics card?

I have a Sapphire RX 5700, the problem only seems to happen with terrain shaders set to maximum, when I set it to medium it seems to run fine. I also have an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 CPU if that's relevant.

Edited by Mjarf

Since 1.8, when i try to launch KSP, an error message appears.

Spoiler

1572434662-error.png

I have to force the launch of KSP with opengl with the "-force-opengl" command to start. Then I manually lower the resolution of the game, and when I try again to launch the game without "-force-opengl" it still does not work. What is the problem ? I do not have problem with KSP 1.7.

15 minutes ago, Octrix said:

What is the problem ? I do not have problem with KSP 1.7.

They switched to DX11 in 1.8, so I'm guessing there is something wrong with your DX11 installation, or your graphics card driver. Have you tried updating the driver for your graphics card?

4 hours ago, Mjarf said:

I have a Sapphire RX 5600, the problem only seems to happen with terrain shaders set to maximum, when I set it to medium it seems to run fine. I also have an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 CPU if that's relevant.

Thanks for the info. That matches what we have seen in some other reports. We are still investigating this issue. This is the bug if you want to keep track of it.

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/23977

In the meantime the only workaround we have identified is lowering the terrain shader quality or the render quality. 

5 hours ago, Zarkov2 said:

They switched to DX11 in 1.8, so I'm guessing there is something wrong with your DX11 installation, or your graphics card driver. Have you tried updating the driver for your graphics card?

I updated my drivers, but I still have this problem :/

23 hours ago, AHHans said:

That unfortunately doesn't. At least the issue I reported in Bug #23924 did not change. :(

I am not sure if your bug related to the abnormal drag values in part database as others pointed out as main reason why people had very low drag and therefore high thermal stress on reentry.

I just tested a 1.25 SSTO rocket and reentry heat and drag seemed quite like in 1.6 and 1.7.

Wow, I know I am biased with not much experience at the moment but 2 days ago I was using the KSP Demo for about a month. With some help from a friend I am now running KSP 1.8.1!! Sweet! Yea I know its like going from  Von Braun's A4/V2 to the Saturn 5 but dang this is fun!! No problems yet cause Im barely touching it for 1 day!

I will say tho that I was able to install CKAN tonight for the 1st time. Took a few hours to get used to it and have only Kerbal Engineer Redux 1171 installed on it but no problems with that as well. Awesome program to say the least. Both of them!

10 hours ago, Zarkov2 said:

Hm, I hope KSP 2 will use DX12, my new GPU performs best with DX12.

12 hours ago, nestor said:

Thanks for the info. That matches what we have seen in some other reports. We are still investigating this issue. This is the bug if you want to keep track of it.

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/23977

In the meantime the only workaround we have identified is lowering the terrain shader quality or the render quality. 

I used to have that same issue right after the update dropped, somehow installing KSP on my main SSD rather than one of my secondary drives fixed it for me entirely, have played for hours now and no bug spotted.

(I have an Rx Vega 56)

14 hours ago, CBase said:
On 10/29/2019 at 8:55 PM, AHHans said:

That unfortunately doesn't. At least the issue I reported in Bug #23924 did not change. :(

I am not sure if your bug related to the abnormal drag values in part database as others pointed out as main reason why people had very low drag and therefore high thermal stress on reentry.

Well, it was linked to Bug #23966 on the bugtracker, AFAIK by someone from @SQUAD. So I thought they would be related.

I just loaded up the test save (that I also put on the bugtracker) and saw that in there nothing changed between 1.8.0 and 1.8.1.

Edited by AHHans
by @Just_Jim, so someone from @SQUAD

FLAME MODE

Why do I still have to use a magnifying glass to see the details in the map screen. On a 4k 40 inch Hi resolution monitor I still get this STUPID small font with distances and name id's that cannot be read.

Yes you can change the nav ball and Icons and some of the text size. But the stuff that really matters like trying to get the details of a target or map details I have to use a magnifying glass to see. and even then it is not easy.

I hear you say switch to a lower resolution. BUT THAT DOES NOT WORK EITHER.

This is a Hi res screen grab at native resolution. Try reading the Green text at the center of the screen. This INMO is very important. For get the Gimmicks get this sorted.

file

Edited by Lankspace

41 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

No need to restart for a point update. I was able to move from 1.7.3 to 1.8.1 without a problem; even my light load of mods (nothing complex) worked.

Maybe i should try this for this update as well - still need Kopernicus for my x10 system though.

2 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

No need to restart for a point update. I was able to move from 1.7.3 to 1.8.1 without a problem; even my light load of mods (nothing complex) worked.

It was the same for me except I was only running on the Demo 1.0.0 to 1.8.1 (yea I.m new here).

1st time to install a few mods as well, but no problems, but again, I am a beginner. 

I have reported a lot of bugs for 1.8.0/1.8.1 and the following is what I know:

1.  A good number of my bug reports have been assigned to Squad employees (QA) for 1.8.0 (and a few for 1.8.1) and not all of them made it into 1.8.1.
  2. At least 1 bug report has been assigned to one of the Squad employees that I reported in 1.6.0 since 1.8.1 was released
  3. 1 bug report for 1.8.1 Squad have asked for more information in the last day

They are working on 1.8.2 I'm certain of it @KerbMav

My personal speculation is that its in Squads best interest to release 1 more DLC before KSP2 comes out, so getting 1.8.2 released sooner than later should be the goal.

Edited by Anth12