Target nodes keep spinning.

I am trying to get a kerbin encounter and I managed to get a 148,000 km separation from kerbins SOI, so I thought, "great, now it will be very easy!" Boy was I wrong, I tried to get a final encounter, but the target nodes keep spinning around my solar orbit and I am not able to get an encounter. I am currently not in a kerbin transfer window (thats what it looks like) so I really need help.

13 minutes ago, Space boy said:

https://imgur.com/O6zIKDS

here is a video.

This isn't what I imagined, and it seems like you still do not understand how Hoffman transfer works.

Basically, because your orbits are too close, the accuracy of interception position becomes veeeery low.

Try to learn how to do interplanetary transfers, or you can consider seeing how mechjeb does it.

Did you cheat your way into orbit?

Edited by Xd the great

51 minutes ago, Space boy said:

What do I do now???

Make a maneuver node in front of your ship, try sliding prograde, retrograde, radial out and radial in, in turn and slowly (less than 1 m/s at the time), keeping track of distance markers. One of them should start reducing distance to Kerbin

2 hours ago, Xd the great said:

This isn't what I imagined, and it seems like you still do not understand how Hoffman transfer works.

Hey, thanks man, you reminded me of the Hoffman transfer and I was able to get back. I was getting Apollo 13 vibes really.

https://imgur.com/mEXktc8

Just now, Fierce Wolf said:

Make a maneuver node in front of your ship, try sliding prograde, retrograde, radial out and radial in, in turn and slowly (less than 1 m/s at the time), keeping track of distance markers. One of them should start reducing distance to Kerbin

What I did basically was increase my Apoapsis just a little high above kerbins orbit and then time-warped there and started reducing my periapsis to just to kerbins orbit and I got an encounter as the target nodes were closing in.

But if I did that, nobody else would be able to chime in with little pedantic points.  :)

On a more serious note, it is not generally our practice to close such threads.  We allow them to gracefully live out their existence as they sink lower and lower in the list.  Sometimes they spark further discussion of details or subtleties that were not previously considered in the thread.

You can upvote one or more of the answers, though.  And, as the Original Poster of the thread, you can mark a specific post as the correct answer if you choose.  This will show the question as answered in the list of Gameplay Questions.

Happy landings!

12 hours ago, Starhawk said:

But if I did that, nobody else would be able to chime in with little pedantic points.  :)

On a more serious note, it is not generally our practice to close such threads.  We allow them to gracefully live out their existence as they sink lower and lower in the list.  Sometimes they spark further discussion of details or subtleties that were not previously considered in the thread.

You can upvote one or more of the answers, though.  And, as the Original Poster of the thread, you can mark a specific post as the correct answer if you choose.  This will show the question as answered in the list of Gameplay Questions.

Happy landings!

Okay, I have marked the answer which solved 'my' problem, but there are also answers which may be useful for others in other situations so I think yeah this thread should live on:wink:.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.