Larger probe cores & SAS units?

Cloakedwand72

Some mods that add over-sized parts (5m+) will include probe cores and/or reaction wheels to go with them- off the top of my head Near Future Construction and Launch Vehicles both have large cores and possibly standalone reaction wheels to go with them. There are some heavy RCS parts in there too I think.

Plenty of other mods I haven't tried will have them too, so look for mods that add large parts and check their contents- you can always add the parts you like and remove the rest from your GameData folder to avoid adding in a huge pile of extra parts you don't want.

8 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Some mods that add over-sized parts (5m+) will include probe cores and/or reaction wheels to go with them- off the top of my head Near Future Construction and Launch Vehicles both have large cores and possibly standalone reaction wheels to go with them. There are some heavy RCS parts in there too I think.

Plenty of other mods I haven't tried will have them too, so look for mods that add large parts and check their contents- you can always add the parts you like and remove the rest from your GameData folder to avoid adding in a huge pile of extra parts you don't want.

Cool. Thanks how do I delete the extra parts i don't won't?

10 hours ago, Cloakedwand72 said:

Cool. Thanks how do I delete the extra parts i don't won't?

You literally delete them. Go into the folders inside the GameData folder for that mod, and delete the files. Note- you should copy and paste the mod into your KSP GameData folder and THEN delete them, so that you have the intact mod files stored in case you want to use the whole thing in future, rather than having to download it again.

3 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

You literally delete them. Go into the folders inside the GameData folder for that mod, and delete the files. Note- you should copy and paste the mod into your KSP GameData folder and THEN delete them, so that you have the intact mod files stored in case you want to use the whole thing in future, rather than having to download it again.

All right. Do I need any dependency’s from the original mod if I only just wanted landing legs or a nice parachute or rover for instance?

Spacey Lifters and Spacey Extended has as well very large drone cores with huge included batteries.

In general you will need some model and texture files together with the part file. If new features (resources, converters, ..) are added you will likely need some other stuff the part depends on.

2 hours ago, Cloakedwand72 said:

All right. Do I need any dependency’s from the original mod if I only just wanted landing legs or a nice parachute or rover for instance?

Each mod is different, all I can say is try it and see. Delete one of the dependencies and see a) if the game loads at all, b) if you can load a save game which contains a vessel using that part or parts and c) if the part works the same as it did before. If you answered yes to a, b and c then you can leave the dependency out; if you answered no to any of them then you'll need to keep it in. 

On 10/30/2019 at 2:51 PM, Cloakedwand72 said:

Are their mods that add in Larger probe cores & SAS modules?

tweakscale I would have suggested this but it isn't updated for 1.8 quite yet

Edited by zit

On 11/7/2019 at 6:59 PM, zit said:

tweakscale I would have suggested this but it isn't updated for 1.8 quite yet

If we are talking 1.8.1, yes it is. Since Oct 30. :)

17 hours ago, Cloakedwand72 said:

It's on Ckan on 1.8.1 and wondering if its scaled to career mode?

Yes, it works on career. My own experience using TweakScale on career is mixed with fun, but sometimes with making things too easy.

By trial and error, I found that by avoiding scaling the engines up I manages to prevent spoiling the challenge on some missions.

But if you are running a modded career, it can also help to try completely different approaches to some Contracts. I remember mapping Kerbin using an first war bomber inspired aircraft using Firespitter. I had to upscale some parts in order to get the part count low, and upscale the prop engines to simulate a WW1 bomber engine. (I was committed to avoid upgrading the installations just because I would be harder)

Some screenshots of that time:

Spoiler

Z1EBz1wsb_bOqKuz6hoVPY_-Gsjg_WpHhJXZAxp4

EyAHHorwcnEP8QBTWpSPllxehewhN9X13nGC4Bzj

This last one also pinpoints how Add'On can kinda of spoil the challenge. I don't remember from where is that engine, but is was available to me before the radial ones from KAX on the first picture. I was green on KSP at that time, and didn't realized the "mistake". Nowadays, I would try the Firespitter engines instead.

Edited by Lisias
added pictures.

2 hours ago, Lisias said:

Yes, it works on career. My own experience using TweakScale on career is mixed with fun, but sometimes with making things too easy.

By trial and error, I found that by avoiding scaling the engines up I manages to prevent spoiling the challenge on some missions.

But if you are running a modded career, it can also help to try completely different approaches to some Contracts. I remember mapping Kerbin using an first war bomber inspired aircraft using Firespitter. I had to upscale some parts in order to get the part count low, and upscale the prop engines to simulate a WW1 bomber engine. (I was committed to avoid upgrading the installations just because I would be harder)

Some screenshots of that time:

Hide contents

Z1EBz1wsb_bOqKuz6hoVPY_-Gsjg_WpHhJXZAxp4

EyAHHorwcnEP8QBTWpSPllxehewhN9X13nGC4Bzj

This last one also pinpoints how Add'On can kinda of spoil the challenge. I don't remember from where is that engine, but is was available to me before the radial ones from KAX on the first picture. I was green on KSP at that time, and didn't realized the "mistake". Nowadays, I would try the Firespitter engines instead.

I'm wanting to resize the probe core & SAS modules & Air breaks & 2.5 meter Sabre engines with keeping few parts mods in.

On 11/8/2019 at 4:20 PM, Lisias said:

This is somewhat related to the thread at hand i guess; asking because you're the mods current maintainer and it's about reaction wheels. Does TweakScale actually scale the force applied by reaction wheels up or down when resizing? Couldn't really find a straight answer anywhere.

2 hours ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

This is somewhat related to the thread at hand i guess; asking because you're the mods current maintainer and it's about reaction wheels. Does TweakScale actually scale the force applied by reaction wheels up or down when resizing? Couldn't really find a straight answer anywhere.

Yes, there's code to do that. There's a TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS (the receipt we use to tell TweakScale how to scale things) called ModuleReactionWheel. Once you patch a part with TweakScale, that exponent will be applied automatically if the part has a Reaction Wheel - see the Stock Patches for an example.

However… Now and then things change inside KSP, and it's not impossible one of that changes could prevent or undo something TweakScale did - so if you think something is not working as it should, please report on TweakScale thread (with a craft and how to test it) so I can pursue the problem.

6 hours ago, Lisias said:

Yes, there's code to do that. There's a TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS (the receipt we use to tell TweakScale how to scale things) called ModuleReactionWheel. Once you patch a part with TweakScale, that exponent will be applied automatically if the part has a Reaction Wheel - see the Stock Patches for an example.

However… Now and then things change inside KSP, and it's not impossible one of that changes could prevent or undo something TweakScale did - so if you think something is not working as it should, please report on TweakScale thread (with a craft and how to test it) so I can pursue the problem.

Awesome; thanks for the answer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.