Rover keeps doing Tokyo drifts.

So I am making a rover for duna and I put up a simple configuration, Rovemate and 4 smallest rover wheels. So to test how it would drive on duna, i reduced gravity to 0.28 (I experimented  with the eva jetpack to get to a number) and I started to turn, it worked as expected, But when I reverted to launch, and tried to turn again, the rover was very sluggish and it didnt want to turn and when it eventually did turn, it was doing these drifts. Why was there a sudden change?

Alright so I tried it again and as usual, on my first try, the rover was turning properly but on my second try ( after reverting to launch) the rover was sluggish. So I went to the input locks menu in the debug menu and cleared input locks and the rover was working fine again. I still do need help conforming that there wont be any bugs AFTER I land on Duna. And also, this isnt supposed to happen, is it?

Edited by Space boy

I'm not much good at rovers,  but it generally looks like an oversteer problem,  as in the same thing that affects auto racing.   Airplane landing gears in KSP suffer that too.   You need to go into friction control override and make sure the front wheels have less grip than the rear,  so they loose traction first.  That stops the back end drifting out.  

The other thing seems to be that those wheels are giving you too little friction overall for the mass of the vehicle,  under Duna gravity.   It slides sideways for ages without stopping like it is on sheet ice.  You might need beefier wheels.

Building a fast and safe rover is very difficult in this game however, so i'm not sure how good a rover can be.

I think that rover may be too light for a low G environment: however you may want to try a 2WD/2WS config to have better control but if you increase weight you will have better results. The rovemate is not exactly the best part I tried to build rovers like that, I used to build a "core" with batteries, probe core, docking Jr. and a small SAS.

APmIeYY.png4U0WPfx.pngIlgxMMF.png

10 hours ago, AeroGav said:

I'm not much good at rovers

Well you certainly do know a thing or two about Rovers. :wink:

4 hours ago, Signo said:

I think that rover may be too light for a low G environment: however you may want to try a 2WD/2WS config to have better control but if you increase weight you will have better results. The rovemate is not exactly the best part I tried to build rovers like that, I used to build a "core" with batteries, probe core, docking Jr. and a small SAS.

APmIeYY.png4U0WPfx.pngIlgxMMF.png

Well is there an actual use for the small wheels in this game? Doesn't work on moons, doesnt work on duna, probably works on jool and will always work on kerbin. 

12 hours ago, Fierce Wolf said:

Solution 1: delete whole rover, start from sratch with normal gravity settings

Solution 2: check the friction of the wheels, if it's in auto maybe it's still in "like duna numbers"

Solution 3: launch the rocket just like it is now, and blast this theme on the background:

Say no more:wink:

6 hours ago, Signo said:

Trouble is if mass goes up,  you get more downforce via gravity but surely the amount of force needed to get it moving,  make it stop and make it turn go up by just as much ?  Though of course i'm assuming kerbal physics work like real physics which is a big if !  THe OP's video just looks like those small rovemate tyres are made of wood.   Either that he's gone into friction override and set all four wheels to zero. (Maybe the low weight confuses the Auto friction control preset)

turn the back wheels to max friction and give the fronts a lower value, see how that goes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.