Custom wheel part. Need help

Hi Kerbonauts, 

I'm looking for some guidance regarding a part I'd like to make to complement the creation of rovers using robotics for suspension and propulsion. 

I love the fact that you can use the new rotor part as a wheel motor and implement creative suspension methods with the hydraulic piston in conjunction with same vessel interaction etc. 

Although there are no suitable structurally strong parts to attach to the rotors to act as a wheel. From my current understanding, the wheels in ksp have a special 'form' using unity and aren't a typical structural piece per say. 

The problem is friction. Fashioning a custom wheel using structural parts always ends up slippery. Is there a way to edit a parts cfg to increase its friction toward surfaces in ksp? Much like the grip pads. I'm basically wanting to make a cylindrical grip pad for a wheel. 

Is there a possibility of creating a wheel without the spring, dampen and steering properties? Basically a brick with a motor. 

Thanks folks. 

P.s - radially attaching multiple grip pads onto a round part sounds viable but doesn't work. 

Edited by Dundrogen

10 hours ago, Dundrogen said:

Hi Kerbonauts, 

I'm looking for some guidance regarding a part I'd like to make to complement the creation of rovers using robotics for suspension and propulsion. 

I love the fact that you can use the new rotor part as a wheel motor and implement creative suspension methods with the hydraulic piston in conjunction with same vessel interaction etc. 

Although there are no suitable structurally strong parts to attach to the rotors to act as a wheel. From my current understanding, the wheels in ksp have a special 'form' using unity and aren't a typical structural piece per say. 

The problem is friction. Fashioning a custom wheel using structural parts always ends up slippery. Is there a way to edit a parts cfg to increase its friction toward surfaces in ksp? Much like the grip pads. I'm basically wanting to make a cylindrical grip pad for a wheel. 

Is there a possibility of creating a wheel without the spring, dampen and steering properties? Basically a brick with a motor. 

Thanks folks. 

P.s - radially attaching multiple grip pads onto a round part sounds viable but doesn't work. 

A lot of people who make wheels for KSP use KSPWheel as a dependency.

19 hours ago, Electrocutor said:

A lot of people who make wheels for KSP use KSPWheel as a dependency.

Ah yes! Shadowmage's KSPWheel. I came across this while looking around. This is the Kerbal Foundries author if I'm not mistaken. Awesome stuff I'll look into this. Thanks

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.