Will KSP 2 have the same control schemes and orbital mechanics?

I saw the KSP 2 announcement and I thought, "Colonies? That's so cool!" Then I read into it a bit more and discovered, you need to launch components to actually construct these habitats.

Now, my interplanetary skills are a bit rusty, so I thought it might be a good idea to practice with the original KSP.

Then it occurred to me that the developers might alter the mechanics and control schemes, to make the original techniques much more difficult.

Can anybody tell me if these changes might occur, and that I might need to re-learn the controls and methods?

It would be much appreciated.

2 minutes ago, QvestionAnswerNeeded said:

I saw the KSP 2 announcement and I thought, "Colonies? That's so cool!" Then I read into it a bit more and discovered, you need to launch components to actually construct these habitats.

Now, my interplanetary skills are a bit rusty, so I thought it might be a good idea to practice with the original KSP.

Then it occurred to me that the developers might alter the mechanics and control schemes, to make the original techniques much more difficult.

Can anybody tell me if these changes might occur, and that I might need to re-learn the controls and methods?

It would be much appreciated.

They haven't specifically said anything on the issue I believe, and they are overhauling the UI quite a bit - so it wouldn't surprise me if they've overhauled some of the controls...  But I don't see anything which makes me believe there are any *major* changes on that front likely to come up.  If anything there's likely to be some quality-of-life improvements and polish, but I wouldn't expect a rework.

They have said one of the goals of the new game is to make the in teaching system better to make it more accessible.

I assume this isn't to dumb down the game but to make the information needed to hit a transfer in game accessible. Given KSP1 relied so much on community information generated by smart people I can see much ground to bring that in without changing the mechanics.

As others have said, I doubt there will be many changes beyond UI cosmetics etc.

But, even if the 'game mechanics' do change significantly, the laws of physics will be the same so the principles and techniques you practice will still be valid and useful.

13 hours ago, QvestionAnswerNeeded said:

Thanks for the information, that's a relief.

Do note that they aren't changing the Kerbol system.

If they keep the same scale, you can use the same skills, same transfer windows.

However, there will be new star system, so interstellar transfers may be different.

What I think will happen is that you manually build colonies until they reach a certain size oir point in the tech tree. At that size/techlvl, you can attach a part processing unit and begin building the colony like you would a vehicle in the VAB, albeit you might need drills and rovers that can scavenge for more ore. Same for ships, you might put a launch pad on a colony or clamps on a space station and build from there.