Parachute doesn't open on first rocket

I feel dumb but I've tried a lot of different things. I'm confused!

I have done both of the trainings for basic construction and flight and the chute works when I do that.

When I fly my Flea with a MK16 chute the chute never actually opens. It makes the deployment sound but I never see the chute and my little guy just crashes.

This is on PS4. 

Has anyone else encountered this?

How high are you going?

Staging the parachute won't (necessarily) make it fully deploy. Parachute will only fully deploy at the altitude its set to (defaults to 1000m). 

Staging at top of flight you will be going slow enough but from that point onwards you are accelerating back to the surface. If you've picked up too much speed on your fall then you will be travelling too fast for the parachute to deploy when you hit the altitude set on the parachute.

This typically happens if you fall prograde (pointy end first). Not enough air resistance from pointy end to slow you down and you keep accelerating. You ideally want to fall retrograde so that flat surfaces stop you accelerating at a point.

You may also want to adjust the power of the booster (and the amount of fuel) so you don't go too fast to start with.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.