Hello, KSP Forum!

Austin Follmer

Hi, everyone! :)

I started playing the KSP demo in 2014 after reading about the game on xkcd and bought it February of 2015 because it was too much fun not to. I haven't bought or downloaded many games since, because this one, in my mind, is particularly enjoyable and I always come back to it after getting frustrated with something else. Amazing experience!

Years back I started reading these forums and watching YouTube videos by people who would SSTO to almost everywhere in one launch. I wanted to learn as much as I could from the community about building elegant, efficient, far-reaching vehicles.

I have found my own attempts to explore the Kerbol system (correct term?) profoundly educational (I mean, they get "Catastrophic Failure," but not for the same reason twice.) Apollo-style missions to Duna are the bane of my existence and sanity but extemely addictive all the same (never have I planted a flag there AND returned safely.)

I love playing career mode on the "hard" setting. Actually much of the gameplay that I do in sandbox is just testing new designs for wacky multiple-contract missions to be carried out in career mode. Right now working on a series of launch vehicles each limited by technology, part count and mass such that as a career game progresses more of these vehicles become feasible. The reasoning behind my having pre-designed launch vehicles is that this way I know not just how much fuel I need to reach orbit with a payload, but also how many parachutes it takes to splash down okay and how many parts I can put on the payload.

Also trying to figure out, in light of "Moar Boosters," what is more cost efficient (given a set of technology restrictions): a loose Space Shuttle replica, or an SSTO plane?

Anyway, the reason I decided to post here today is that after almost five years of Kerballing, I want to start sharing some of my in-game vehicle designs and maybe even some Kerbal fiction writing.

Oh, and I am EXTREMELY EXCITED for Kerbal Space Program 2. I think it is going to exceed chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream in it's awesomeness.

So I thought I'd say hello and ramble about myself for a minute to jump in here. I should add that this seems like a very nice, welcoming community based on what I've read here, and I'm excited to talk to you.

Howdy. 

Shuttles of any sort are not very efficient and mostly done as a design challenge. It's possible to make a craft which recovers everything but the fuel, but they can't carry very much. But if you think it's fun, do it anyway. 

Welcome to the forum. :D

21 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Howdy. 

Shuttles of any sort are not very efficient and mostly done as a design challenge. It's possible to make a craft which recovers everything but the fuel, but they can't carry very much. But if you think it's fun, do it anyway. 

Welcome to the forum. :D

Thanks!

My experience so far with SSTO planes is that if they only go to LKO and back, they can move a respectable payload, but of course it depends on what kind of payload you need it to work with. If I'm launching a relay, I love a good plane.

20 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

While I too am excited for KSP 2, let's not get carried away. Nothing can beat a good Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough  ice cream 

That ice cream is up there on the list of ultimate things, for sure. Some Kerbals will tell you that's what Eeloo is made of, and therefore must be reached before any other surface in the Kerbol system.