The FAR Fightout: BVR Edition

Welcome to the FAR fightout, a BDArmory + FAR gunfighter competition for KSP 1.8.1. It consists of 2v2 battles with 4th/5th gen aircraft.

REQUIRED MODS:

Ferram Aerospace Research

BDArmory* NOTE, the link is to a custom build of BDA I made with various tweaks and enhancements, and new AI settings. You can still use stock BDA, you'll just have less stuff to tweak.

RealisticWeapons -- A custom weapons pack that adds new missiles/radars with much more realistic ranges and capabilities.

ALLOWED MODS
AirplanePlus
B9 Procedural wings

RULES

1. Fighters are in two classes, light and heavy. Light fighters can have up to 6 missiles, heavy fighters up to 10, any combination. Only guns allowed are 1xM61, 2xM230(locked forward), or 1xGAU-8. DO NOT use the default BDA missiles, use the AIM-7M, AIM-9M, and AIM-120B from RealisticWeapons; they show up in utility. Also its recommended that you use the radars from RealisticWeapons as their detection range is much further.

2. Manned aircraft only. And no lawn chairs.

3. MINIMUM weight at launch of 15t if your plane has over 150kn of thrust per the in-game DV stats, this also means classification as a heavy fighter. If your airplane has less than 150kn of thrust, then 7.5t is the minimum, and its a light fighter. 

4. Up to two engines.(except the saturn ALF-31 engines that comes with BDA. only one of those) And no thrust vectoring(disable on capable engines).

5. No excessive wing clipping(minor clipping for aesthetics perfectly OK, just dont take it overboard), and no clipping resource-containing parts into each other.

6. And please no multi wing airplanes(e.g, biplane, triplanes) 

7. Light Fighters use up to 126 total countermeasures, heavy fighters up to 168(not as in CM boxes, but how much CM is in the boxes). No ECM.

8. 75 part count absolute limit. However, try to keep it around 50 (or even less). It makes it alot easier for my PC :).

9. Please don't take competitiveness too far. Try to make your planes semi-realistic. I am not discouraging well-built designs and creativity; I am trying to discourage unrealistic/unreasonable designs that technically fit the above rules, but use their unrealistic design to get unrealistic performance.(for those familiar with BAD T III and the Wasp mk3.3, you know what I mean.) Remember, we are here to have fun.

10. No decouplers. The whole plane must battle from takeoff onwards. 

11. You may tweak the AI pilot settings however you want, but the Max G cannot exceed 10.

12. All editing must be done in-game. No text editing the .craft files.

Rules on dogfights:
1. Fights are conducted in 2v2 format, with the BDArmory AI competition mode, at a range of 80km

2. Other than the engine startup, all procedures are automated.

3. A plane is considered "killed" if
A. Any essential modules are destroyed (AI pilot, Weapons Manager, command module)
B. it is unable to fly under AI control without crashing. 

4. Best out of three fights wins.

5. The leaderboard consists of 3 spots, and a competitor starts with battling the #3 design, and works its way up.

6. Fights are run on the latest BDArmory of my custom build.

Also, remember to have fun!

Edited by Guest

Will there be GLOC?

And are there restrictions on gun armament? In case it does become a close range knife fight?

Also may we use thrust limiters to keep thrust at 150 kN or below?

Also why 1.7.1? Not 1.8??

Edited by Pds314

Let's see.. which Airplane plus cockpit has the most health... Ah yes, Thiccanov, your time has come.
8TQR3DJ.png

(Sadly NOT very competitive as even though it is very durable and can do a bit of supercruise and post-stall maneuvering, it is fairly fragile to its own maneuvering).

Edited by Pds314

13 hours ago, Pds314 said:

Will there be GLOC?

And are there restrictions on gun armament? In case it does become a close range knife fight?

Also may we use thrust limiters to keep thrust at 150 kN or below?

Also why 1.7.1? Not 1.8??

Nope, no GLOC.

And sry forgot to put gun restrictions in, should be now

As for thrust limiters I don't see why not, as long as the total thrust is below I'm fine

And I meant 1.7.x, not 1.8 because BDA isn't for 1.8 yet.

3 hours ago, dundun92 said:

Nope, no GLOC.

And sry forgot to put gun restrictions in, should be now

As for thrust limiters I don't see why not, as long as the total thrust is below I'm fine

And I meant 1.7.x, not 1.8 because BDA isn't for 1.8 yet.

I mean, BDA doesn't have any problem with 1.8 AFAIK. I'm using your version and SuicidalInsanity's version on 1.8 without problems. Airplane Plus might have some bugs in 1.8 or maybe my Firespitter is installed wrong, and FAR has trouble recognizing A+ wings as wings, but BDA doesn't seem to be the issue.

Edited by Pds314

On 11/3/2019 at 5:43 AM, dundun92 said:

And no thrust vectoring(disable on capable engines).

Wait why does this rule exist? IRL 4th/5th gen aircraft definitely make use of it so it seems odd to limit it.

7 hours ago, qzgy said:

Wait why does this rule exist? IRL 4th/5th gen aircraft definitely make use of it so it seems odd to limit it.

I did it because the TVC in stock engines is a bit excessive, plus it makes it more interesting when planes dont depend on TVC for their pitch authority, something i see a lot in FAR designs. I may consider allowing limited TVC, but id have to set per-engine limits

17 hours ago, Pds314 said:

I mean, BDA doesn't have any problem with 1.8 AFAIK. I'm using your version and SuicidalInsanity's version on 1.8 without problems. Airplane Plus might have some bugs in 1.8 or maybe my Firespitter is installed wrong, and FAR has trouble recognizing A+ wings as wings, but BDA doesn't seem to be the issue.

if thats the case we could probably go to 1.8, ill prob run a recompile for 1.8 just to be safe tho.

I'm going to have to remember how to build something that can maneuver well at low speed without immediately disintegrating at higher speeds without my secondary steer limiter again. Should be interesting. The dynamic steer damper probably works similarly.
Anyway, some quick questions/rules clarifications: the 10t/20t mass requirements, is this wet or dry craft mass?
I'm assuming the M230 is to be locked forward, or can it remain turreted?

Also, do you want my HP fix for B9 proc wings so they aren't made of tissue paper and balsa wood compared to stock wings?

2 hours ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

Anyway, some quick questions/rules clarifications: the 10t/20t mass requirements, is this wet or dry craft mass?

Its wet, including weapons and fuel

I'm assuming the M230 is to be locked forward, or can it remain turreted?

Yes its supposed to be locked forward, forgot to add that

Also, do you want my HP fix for B9 proc wings so they aren't made of tissue paper and balsa wood compared to stock wings?

sure,, im assuming youll make a pull request?

18 hours ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

Done.

Actually, could you do it for the dev branch, sry for not specifying. NVM got it fixed now

Edited by Guest

17 hours ago, Jeb-head-mug kerman said:

This looks very interesting! I have a fighter I've wanted to use for this type of competition and now I can!

I will try this on the weekend.

Also is there more than 1 entry allowed?

Yes multiple entries are allowed, just dont go overboard.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.