[1.12.x] Deployable Batteries

linuxgurugamer

There were cheers and pats on the back as the team stode into the briefing room for the post-flight debriefing... It had been a spectacular mission... flawless... perfect.
The team set down in the massive Eastern Crater, set up a new Deployed science camp, and returned without incident...
It was perfect... they thought...
So why, then, did Gene look like his head was about to explode???
"Sit down..."
"What's wrong?" Val whispered nervously...
"What's wrong??? Gene whispered back, then slammed his notes onto the conference table, sending them flying in every direction... "WHAT'S WRONG???"
"I... I don't understand," Bill began...
"Everything was running perfectly," Bob finished
"Yes... yes... everything was running perfectly..." Wernher von Kerman sighed. "Until the sun set and we lost the signal"
"But... but we set it up on the light side on the Mun," Jeb argued. "Not the dark side..."
THUMP.... von Kerman's head hit the table... repeatedly...
"The... thump... Sun... thump... Still... thump... sets... thump... on the light side... THUMP!!!
For a few minutes no-one said a word... until Bob whispered almost imperceptibly... "It was the batteries..."
"What batteries???" Gene sighed...
"Yeah, that's the point... sir..." Bill grumbled. "There were none."
"WHAT???" Gene suddenly howled... "What do you mean... no batteries???
No-one said a word...
"Werhner..." Gene growled...
"It... there... uhhhh.... there was a problem at the last second, and ... well,... uhhh.... we had to switch to a different vendor... sir. " von Kerman stammered... "Zaltonic promised they would be compatible..."
"Zaltonic..." Gene's jaw dropped... "You... you trusted them???  Great... just great!!!"
"I... I can fix this," Wernher started drawing notes on the table... another habit Gene hated. "Yes... yes... I will contact a friend at Ionic Symphonic... She'll should be able to get me the proper materials..."
Werhner stopped and grinned at Gene...
"We can make our own deployable battery packs."
Gene just sighed... How many times was thing going to happen to him??? He was sure this wasn't the last...
"You have 48 hours..."

Note

These batteries are intended for use with the stock inventory system which was introduced in Breaking Ground.  They are NOT compatible with KIS

Usage Instructions

The batteries come in three sizes, 100, 200 and 400 EC.  They look similar to the stock batteries with the following differences:

• These batteries are created horizontal rather than vertical
  • The colors on these batteries replaces the yellow with blue

A very rough approximation is that 1 EC will provide 1 Power Unit for about 2-3 hours.  When looking at the PAW (Part Action Window) you will see three fields, one is EC which is the same as the stock batteries, second one is Power-Unit/Hours, and the third one is Maximum Power Units.  What this means is that any combination of Power Units multiplied by the number of hours.  So, 100 PowerUnit/Hours would provide 1 PowerUnit for 100 hours, or 2 PowerUnits for 50 hours, or 4 PowerUnits for 25 hours.  Each battery has a maximum number of PowerUnits that it can supply (5).  However, the slider is provided so you can limit the available PowerUnits; you would do this if you want the PowerUnits to be available for a specific amount of time.

No connections need to be made; the batteries only have to be placed on the ground within range of a controller the same as the other Breaking Ground parts

Multiple batteries can be deployed to support the same science items.

Finally, the efficiency of the conversion of EC to PowerUnits is determined by who emplaces the battery, following the same rules as the Solar Collectors.

Something which you can do is to mount the batteries on a vessel.  They will work as normal batteries, and will be recharged by solar panels as normal.  As long as they are within range of a controller, they will also provide power to the components on the ground.

Release and page Still Under Construction ™️

Dependency

Availability

Available in CKAN

Please note that I am currently supporting both 1.7.3 and 1.8.0, at least for a while.  So the Spacedock entry has both, you just need to look at the ChangeLog, or go to Github, which shows both at the same time.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

1 hour ago, Manwith Noname said:

A cheeky grin appears on Bob's face, "Hey guys, we've got plenty of time, that's 8 days".

Ok I just got some weird looks as I suddenly burst out laughing while on a break outside. 

Edit: I wonder what Bill & co come up with!

Edited by Jognt

25 minutes ago, khearn said:

Thank you, this is really needed. 

One little nit, though. CKAN says it's only compatible up to 1.7.3. Or do I just need to hit refresh a few more times and a seperate one for 1.8.x will show up?

Thanks!

There are two versions.  Both have been uploaded, but CKAN hasn't yet refreshed for the 1.8, so go to Github and download it manually for now

not sure if I'm just missing something on how to use them or if something is wrong. 1.0.2 for 1.7.3 the batteries can't be stored, carried, or deployed like the other stock deployable items. Tried with KIS and trying to attach got an error saying it couldn't be attached, and dropping them on the ground made the battery go boom. I do have Breaking Ground of course. :)

14 hours ago, JeffreyCor said:

not sure if I'm just missing something on how to use them or if something is wrong. 1.0.2 for 1.7.3 the batteries can't be stored, carried, or deployed like the other stock deployable items. Tried with KIS and trying to attach got an error saying it couldn't be attached, and dropping them on the ground made the battery go boom. I do have Breaking Ground of course. :)

Not KIS.  The same inventory as the Breaking Ground parts.  Totally different system than KIS

3 hours ago, fragtzack said:

The Deployable Battery B-400 will not go  into the SEQ-9 Container Module. The other 2 batteries in the mod seems to work fine.

I'll need a log file.  I just tested this, and all three batteries went into the SEQ-9 without any problem.  I also tried filling it up and h aving the B-400 the last one, it went in without any problem

On 11/5/2019 at 11:20 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Not KIS.  The same inventory as the Breaking Ground parts.  Totally different system than KIS

Therein lies the problem. " the batteries can't be stored, carried, or deployed like the other stock deployable items. " KIS was tried only after the Breaking Ground system would not work with these.

1 hour ago, JeffreyCor said:

Therein lies the problem. " the batteries can't be stored, carried, or deployed like the other stock deployable items. " KIS was tried only after the Breaking Ground system would not work with these.

I need a log file, because I have no problem putting them into the SEQ-9

2 hours ago, JeffreyCor said:

You might be having a problem because I forgot about a dependency

If you had provided the log file sooner (ie:  when you first asked for help) I would have noticed this sooner.

Install the SpaceTux Library.  Download the version for 1.7.3 from here:  https://spacedock.info/mod/2210/SpaceTux Library/download/0.0.1.3

I'm going to be updating the OP and the CKAN entry as well.

Edit:  CKAN has been updated, and the file for KSP 1.8.x has been reindexed in CKAN and will now install the dependency.  I've uploaded the 1.7.3 version to Spacedock (which is where CKAN indexes this mod from), and am waiting for it to be reindexed.  Until then, please install the SpacetuxLibrary  by hand

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Tux does indeed make the B-400 battery work into the Seq9 container.

What is odd about this Tux method is:

-- The B-* other batteries work without tux

-- The other batteries can simply click the container with the battery on the cursor(just like stock behaves), no need to open up the container context window that shows each slot. Noticed in your video, you did not use the stock method of adding the battery (I.E.: With stock, no need to open up the container contents).

Would seem best to get B-400  to behave like the other 2 Deployed Science batteries  and adding to container behaves like stock?

9 minutes ago, fragtzack said:

Tux does indeed make the B-400 battery work into the Seq9 container.

What is odd about this Tux method is:

-- The B-* other batteries work without tux

-- The other batteries can simply click the container with the battery on the cursor(just like stock behaves), no need to open up the container context window that shows each slot. Noticed in your video, you did not use the stock method of adding the battery (I.E.: With stock, no need to open up the container contents).

Would seem best to get B-400  to behave like the other 2 Deployed Science batteries  and adding to container behaves like stock?

Unfortunately, no.  It's actually very strange that the 100 & 200 work without the code behind it.  When I remove the library, it doesn't work, which is what I expected.  If you look at the configs, you will see that they are nearly identical.

Ok, I see what's going on.  I think it may be a stock bug, I'll get in touch with Squad about it.  Let me explain:

It has to do with the attachRules, I see that they are different on the B-400 (will be fixing that).

If a part is not set to surface attach, any part, you will be able to place it in the SEQ-9.  I did it with the PreSet Barameter.  I use EditorExtensions, and am able to toggle the surface-attach on a part, so I did that with the barometer, dropped it in the container, and it was stored there.

See this video for a demo of what is going on:

New release, 0.1.0.5 (for KSP 1.7.3) and 0.2.0.5 (for KSP 1.8.x):

• Fixed attach rules for the B-400 battery

Github has both files in the release.   I've uploaded 0.1.0.5 to Spacedock, and it's been indexed.  I also uploaded 0.2.0.5 to Spacedock, it hasn't been indexed yet

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.