[1.12.x] Deployable Batteries

linuxgurugamer

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

If you had provided the log file sooner (ie:  when you first asked for help) I would have noticed this sooner.

I had asked if I was missing something, as in not understanding how to use them. My initial messages was not asking for help. Your message only addressed about KIS and all subsequent message have been before having time to go into KSP today, there is other things I need to do during the day. Maybe it didn't occur to you that in finally finding out there was an actual problem I had planned to go into KSP once I had the chance for the purpose of providing a log. While your responses are appreciated, this particular snippiness is unwarranted and does nobody any good. You may have been having a bad day and was unintended, but something to keep in mind.

The missing dependency does fully fix all issues.

1 minute ago, leatherneck6017 said:

Who is this nobody you speak of?

Kidding aside, do you have any comprehension of the amount of bug reports and questions @linuxgurugamer has on his plate every day? He maintains over 200 mods, give him a break.

I politely pointed out his extremely poor attitude as wall as acknowledged a potential reason for it. It is his election to take on that (much appreciated) work, and all he had to do was NOT write a single line, which would have saved him even more time. It is something to keep in mind and learn from, which is exactly what I presented it as.

A patch for using restock assets, no new color

Spoiler

@PART[DB_battery_B100]:NEEDS[DeployableBatteries&ReStock]
{
	-MODEL{}
	MODEL
	{
		model = ReStock/Assets/Electrical/restock-battery-radial-small-1
		position = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0
		scale = 1,1,1
		rotation = 90, 0, 0
	}
}

@PART[DB_battery_B200]:NEEDS[DeployableBatteries&ReStock]
{
	-MODEL{}
	MODEL
	{
		model = ReStock/Assets/Electrical/restock-battery-radial-small-1
		position = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0
		scale = 1.26, 1.26, 1.26
		rotation = 90, 0, 0
	}
}

@PART[DB_battery_B400]:NEEDS[DeployableBatteries&ReStock]
{
	-MODEL{}
	MODEL
	{
		model = ReStock/Assets/Electrical/restock-battery-radial-med-1
		position = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0
		scale = 1,1,1
		rotation = 90, 0, 0
	}
}

-------------------------

The station, the weather analyzer, two solar panels, battery-400 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jklrlll8hxcuhxb/20191107-154223.743.mp4?dl=0

•  0:00 - enabling/disabling stock solar and analyzer instantly changes "Total power needed" and "total power available" on the station, but battery doesn't count there,
                expected "total power available" += battery's max power unit flow
  • 0:13 - 2 solar disabled, battery enabled - quick EC flow,  and battery still doesn't count on the station
                expected much slower EC consumption
  • 0:19 - changing max power unit flow - no changing in the speed of battery discharge, and still doesn't count on the station
                expected change in the speed of discharge, and total power available changes with the changing of max power unit flow
  • 0:40 - speed of recharge ignores warp
  • 0:50 - it's night, the battery is still recharged, and responds to solar enabling/disabling as on the daytime

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c9p5scmzk3xbih6/2019-11-07-KSP.log?dl=0

Edited by flart

13 hours ago, JeffreyCor said:

I politely pointed out his extremely poor attitude as wall as acknowledged a potential reason for it. It is his election to take on that (much appreciated) work, and all he had to do was NOT write a single line, which would have saved him even more time. It is something to keep in mind and learn from, which is exactly what I presented it as.

You were polite, although I question your description of "extremely poor attitude".  Someone with that sort of attitude wouldn't even spend time to figure out what was going on.

One reason I mentioned the log file was for other people to learn from.  These forum posts stay around forever, and down the road, someone reading it might have a question and see the message about the log file.  Anytime a question arises, especially with a new mod, a log file should be provided.

It was not my intention to be impolite.  If you feel I was, then I apologize

4 hours ago, flart said:

A patch for using restock assets, no new color

Reveal hidden contents

You do realize that by doing this, the batteries then look exactly like stock batteries?  I changed the color for a reason, this totally negates it

Hello @linuxgurugamer,

with the idea to create even more modules and experiments for "Breaking Ground" I have been carrying myself for quite a while. Your mod idea inspired me and I started designing a battery module. If you are interested, I will texture the model and release it for use in your mod.

AKKU,medium_large.2x.1573153333.PNG

Just now, hraban said:

Hello @linuxgurugamer,

with the idea to create even more modules and experiments for "Breaking Ground" I have been carrying myself for quite a while. Your mod idea inspired me and I started designing a battery module. If you are interested, I will texture the model and release it for use in your mod.

AKKU,medium_large.2x.1573153333.PNG

That would be fantastic!  If you could do it in 3-5 different sizes, that would be even more fantastic

5 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

That would be fantastic!  If you could do it in 3-5 different sizes, that would be even more fantastic

The model is tailored to the modular requirement. There can be a module with 4, with 6 (shown) and with 8 battery blocks.

17 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Please forgive my newness to not only KSP but to understanding the 3d graphic imaging program as well. If you dont mind me asking what 3d graphic program are you using to create those awesome looking models? I know the software tools are in C for dealing with them, but the 3d stuff fascinates me. The code does too, lol Thank you ahead of time.

Edited by Saturn5tony

4 minutes ago, Saturn5tony said:

Please forgive my newness to not only KSP but to understanding the 3d graphic imaging program as well. If you dont mind me asking what 3d graphic program are you using to create those awesome looking models? I know the the software tools are in C for dealing with them, but the 3d stuff fascinates me. The code does too, lol Thank you ahead of time.

@Saturn5tony

For KSP I work exclusively with Wings 3D (http://www.wings3d.com), a free and simple, but quite powerful 3D program.

Sorry to @linuxgurugamer

The article doesn't really belong here.

16 minutes ago, Saturn5tony said:

Please forgive my newness to not only KSP but to understanding the 3d graphic imaging program as well. If you dont mind me asking what 3d graphic program are you using to create those awesome looking models? I know the software tools are in C for dealing with them, but the 3d stuff fascinates me. The code does too, lol Thank you ahead of time.

I know a lot of part creators use Blender as well.  Either way, the main point is that it needs to end up in Unity:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/23478-tutorial-getting-started-with-unity-back-from-the-dead/

v0.2.0.5 on KSP 1.8.1 in Linux... all looking good so far, I can get all three types of batteries in the SEQ-9 and SEQ-3.

What I haven't worked out yet is how to mount one on my vessel in the VAB.  They don't have attach nodes (as per the stock radial mount batteries) but don't seem to want to radial mount to anything.  I can turn them round from the horzontal with the WASDQE keys, but when I try to place them they just stay with the not-attached red halo.

Very good work, @linuxgurugamer, the idea that these can be vessel mounted also is beyond my expectations!

I may have removed the attach nodes.

Use Editor Extensions to toggle the surface attach mode (T) for now

On 11/5/2019 at 12:14 AM, JeffreyCor said:

not sure if I'm just missing something on how to use them or if something is wrong. 1.0.2 for 1.7.3 the batteries can't be stored, carried, or deployed like the other stock deployable items. Tried with KIS and trying to attach got an error saying it couldn't be attached, and dropping them on the ground made the battery go boom. I do have Breaking Ground of course. :)

Final follow up on this.  Squad has confirmed a bug which allows noncargo parts to be placed in the Seq-9.  

Short update for Batteries: textured, without normal map, screenshot out of Wings3D

AKKU-tex-001,medium_large.2x.1573163712.PNG

The battery box has 2 slots each for charging (input) and 6 slots for consumers.

Dimesion of small BAT-O-MAT ~ 0.56 x 0.37 x 0.49 m

And ... screenshots out of Unity3D

AKKU-tex-002,medium_large.2x.1573165895.PNG

AKKU-tex-003,medium_large.2x.1573165893.PNG

Edited by hraban

58 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'm not sure what this refers to

I believe he's referring to the plug holes on the front of the battery.  Since BG experiments don't use cables, I'm not sure what the utility is, other than a possible limitation on the number of experiment that can be powered or EC sources to charge the battery.

1 minute ago, Brigadier said:

I believe he's referring to the plug holes on the front of the battery.  Since BG experiments don't use cables, I'm not sure what the utility is, other than a possible limitation on the number of experiment that can be powered or EC sources to charge the battery.

It can be a nice visual presentation.  @hraban if that is what you are referring to, then rather than slots, could you make those lights?  Different colors for the consumer & producer, this could be used to visually show what's being used

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It can be a nice visual presentation.  @hraban if that is what you are referring to, then rather than slots, could you make those lights?  Different colors for the consumer & producer, this could be used to visually show what's being used

Don't panic, the plugs and sockets are just optical gimmicks. It's funny that nobody noticed that there are sockets and connections on the RTG from "Breaking Ground" as well.
A colour delimitation of the sockets would be possible without further ado. I would like to do without lights and animations, because most of the time the parts just stand around without Kerbal's supervision.
Maybe I should just put one main switch and several secondary switches around a panel?

Thanks for reacting to my suggestion. Since I wasn't able to play KSP the last week I haven't tried it yet, but this looks awesome. Finally early game science Bases can work reliable.

Edited by Salticus
A really annyoing typo and a missing word

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.