Request for KRPC equivalent

Orbitalkiwi

I believe in one of the interviews the Dev mentioned they have a scripting base mod system that they use to prototype code for the game but will be useable by mods once game is live.

Sounds like that would be KRPC with the right interface software.

Lua is light, fast and portable - but complex things can be a challenge. You end up writing yourself a lot of things that other languages already offer ready to use, and this can be a show stopper.

I tried to write a small dynamic dns daemon to be run on my openwrt router once. It worked, but the lua available on openwrt at that time didn't had one library needed for the task, and writting that myself  would be 10 times the effort of the damn thing. So I rewrote the shenanigan non python, shoved it on a raspberry pi and called it a day.

This will happen too on KSP2 using Lua. It will he really great for automating things that are already there, but for new complex things you will end up coding in C#.

Edited by Lisias
Hit "Save" too soon.

Me and  @firda are going to provide scripting tools for KSP 2 if devs don't provide it. We have successfully created an in-game scripting shell for KSP 1 already.

And if they do provide them, I think we'll try to add more features.

And I know you meant that they should add it instead of it being a mod, but one of the goals for our project will be that you can write mods in it because it allows low-level access to the C#/dotnet classes.

Edited by evandisoft

Isn't kRPC PC-centric? Never used that mod but heard it allows for any language to be used but is lagging a lot (some TCP/pipe communicating with external application).

Lua could be good, not perfect, I would (being devs) rather use J(ava)Script because it is proven technology and optimized a lot... or Python.

...but as @evandisoft already mentioned, we are working on Lua/ROS (Red Onion Script - my own Ruby/JS/Python-like scripting language) mod for KSP1 and will port it to KSP2.

RedOnion vs. kRPC: in-game scripting, no remoting (no lag but limited number of instructions and time per physics update)
RedOnion vs. kOS: unrestricted, you can bind to any public KSP/Unity API (`reflect`/`import`/`native`), part-less, run in flight, map, editor, space center... anywhere, do anything.

What I would really like to see is some to-native compiled language (like C#Script) .... or maybe I will do that myself one day (ROS is based on my B#/FiLang which already has to-C# translators/generators).