Moar brown dwarfs!! [Kopernicus 1.8.1] Low Light Levels Red [3LR v1.0]

RJVB09

yCOFRIW.png

What is this?

The first part of my Light Levels (LL/2L) series

It's a planet/"star" pack that adds 3 brown dwarfs 7 planets and 3 moons.

Bodies:

• Brün: A bright brown dwarf that would almost have been a red dwarf, but it wasn't that lucky and still fell into the L class
  • Xing: The first planet of Brün, a cold non-habitable tidal locked water world.
  • Yurff: The second planet of Brün, a Mun sized planet with some special rings and a hilly but cratered surface.
  • Bäz: The third planet of Brün, way farther out there is Bäz. a gas giant half the size and mass of Jool with magnificent rings.
  • Colgo: The icy inner moon of Bäz. Almost similar to Eeloo
  • Æger: The outermost moon of Bäz, it shares similar characteristics with Duna, and it has an extraordinary name.
  • Ømis: The fourth and outermost planet of Brün, Its an icy covered with cracks super Kerbin with a thin atomosphere. Its radius is 1,5 times greater than Kerbin
  • Ve: A small Minmus sized moon orbiting around Ømis with weird surface features
  • Tersa: Another L type brown dwarf, a bit cooler than Brün. Its binary with Iyo
  • Kimau; The inner planet of Tersa. It's a little bit bigger than Kerbin but mostly similar despite the fact it runs on carbon instead of oxygen, with oceans of octane.
  • Jyhe: The outermost planet of Tersa. Its a bit darker than Kimau and has a more Mun like surface with interesting cliffs
  • Iyo: A T type brown dwarf binary with Tersa, its colder and gives off the least amount of light.
  • Gren: A cold selena the size of the Mun, its surface is only visible when Tersa an Iyo are both in the sky.

The series

-3LR - you are looking at it right now

-3LB - A pack with a binary white dwarf and magnetar neutron star, and a whole lot of planets to explore

-B2L - A pack that adds in two blindingly bright stars.

Download

Github: https://github.com/RJVB09/Low-Light-Levels-Red/releases

Dependencies

Kopernicus:

(optional) Kopernicus Expansion (footprints): https://github.com/StollD/KopernicusExpansion-Continued

(optional) EVE: https://github.com/WazWaz/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/releases

(optional) scatterer: https://spacedock.info/mod/141/scatterer

Trailer/ Kottabos Review

The trailer and the review are quite old, things might not be similar to the most recent version

Spoiler

Spoiler

Screenshots

Spoiler

Old Imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/F6Nuu2X

New Imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/IKmyPNq

VK0rAUm.png

JSsoPo4.png

VR1hlkH.png

Contact

For development updates join my discord server! :)
https://discord.gg/gHGupT8

Please report bugs here: https://github.com/RJVB09/Low-Light-Levels-Red/issues

License

CYRJjIC.png

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/

Edited by RJVB09
Up to date release page

I love brown dwarf stars in ksp, and this look pretty spectacular from the trailer video...

That said, your spacedock download like is broken. This is the error text it gives you: The server could not verify that you are authorized to access the URL requested. You either supplied the wrong credentials (e.g. a bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

I tried google and firefox on two different computers with two different space dock accounts, and it was still being weird. This is also doesn't appear to be a problem for anything else on spacedock.

Maybe check to if the link works for you if you sign out of spacedock? If not my recommendation would be to make sure it is publicly published, I say this because if you search for it on spacedock, nothing shows up. Then search for it, logged out of your spacedock account, and then use that link, as it will definitely work for anyone else.

15 hours ago, Delta Space said:

I love brown dwarf stars in ksp, and this look pretty spectacular from the trailer video...

That said, your spacedock download like is broken. This is the error text it gives you: The server could not verify that you are authorized to access the URL requested. You either supplied the wrong credentials (e.g. a bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

I tried google and firefox on two different computers with two different space dock accounts, and it was still being weird. This is also doesn't appear to be a problem for anything else on spacedock.

Maybe check to if the link works for you if you sign out of spacedock? If not my recommendation would be to make sure it is publicly published, I say this because if you search for it on spacedock, nothing shows up. Then search for it, logged out of your spacedock account, and then use that link, as it will definitely work for anyone else.

2 hours ago, ssd21345 said:

look interesting but dl link is broken

@Delta Space@ssd21345
Yeah sorry I forgot to publish the mod
it should work now :)

Edited by RJVB09

@RJVB09, I just tried this out and it looks like a great.  I'm very interested in real world red and brown dwarf systems and the visual impacts associated with shifted lighting spectra.  Just FYI, I'm seeing a graphical glitch (I think) on both Brun and Tersa where there's a cloud of "glare" that's not centered on any particular celestial body.  On Brun, it's just outside the orbit of Yurff, and on Tersa, it's slightly inside the orbit of Gren.  I'm using Kopernicus 1.7.3-2, EVE 1.7.3, and Scatterer 0540.  I did this on a separate test instance of KSP 173, with no other planet packs or planetary FX mods.

But speaking of spectra....

I'm running my fully modded KSP 173 game with Spectra on the Stock system and SVE, more specifically, a pruned version that just keeps the configs for Outer Planets Mod.  There's some kind of conflict with 3LR, which I haven't narrowed down yet, that seems to overlap cloud and lighting effects, with and without the BoulderCo and Improved System folder contents.  If feasible, I would suggest supplying graphical FX configs, perhaps with new names, that don't refer to .cfg files that have content that may be re-used amongst other planets, either Stock or add-ons, like OPM, GPP/GEP, ES, etc..

I'm on the fence regarding system placement, relative to Kerbol.  Given their distance, Warp Drive appears to be the *only* way to get to them.  Are there any non-FTL drives that could make it without game-millennia of travel time?

Lastly, can you talk more to your vision for the 3L series?

Edited by KSPrynk

@KSPrynk

It might be scatterer bugging out in the tracking station because scattterer doesn't like "stars" that small with a sunflare. Outside the tracking station, scatterer needs works fine in map and flight. I can't do much about it.

it might also be a problem with the brightness curve of Kerbol in the Improved system mod
I will update the mod with a brightness curve in the 3LR folder so you can remove Improved system safely

You could also do it yourself by just using Improved system and removing the following files:
-Kerbal Space Program/GameData/ImprovedSystem/config/(Then remove everything except for "00_SunIntensityCurve")

oh and remove the custom BoulderCo when using seperate VE for the stock system

It should work, if not send some screenshots.

I don't know much about interstellar travel mods but I recommend better timewarp and interstellar extended (there you can do non-physics-timewarp with a warp drive) and yeah warp drives seem to be the only way ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I might add wormholes in the future but I'm not sure about that.

The next version of 3L will be something with a white dwarf and a neutron star. and maybe a part 3 but thats really theoretical

Sadly i'm a bit to bizzy with real life, so don't expect fast releases

Edited by RJVB09

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2020 at 4:27 AM, Li Jinchao said:

I Hope this mod will have an version which suits RSS AND I'm waiting for this

You can try messing around with sigma dimensions to scale the planets by 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey man, your mods are super cool ! I have all three of your planet packs and i love them but i have a problem with all of them, the sunflares are in different places than the stars. Let me explain:

For example with one of the brown dwarfs: The star itself is where it should be but the point from which the light and the sunflares are coming are in a point away from the star.

The only planet packs / graphic mods i have are:

Eve
Scatterer
Astronomers's visual pack

Low light levels blue
Low light levels red
Blinding light levels
Outer planets mod
Minor planets expansion

Everything works perfectly fine with all of them, the only thing are the offset sunflares.

UNiynOi.png

Edited by Kikin8034
Added a picture of the bug

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.