Will it ever end?

Epicdreamer

While playing a session in 1.8 yesterday, I suddenly realised again what an exceptional game KSP really is to me. I'm a bit of an old school gamer by now. Let's say that the journey from the Commodore 64 to what is possible nowadays, what KSP is nowadays has been quite the experience. I remember being proud of putting 110 hours into Final Fantasy VII when it came out. I don't even know anymore, nor does it matter to me how many hours I've logged on KSP.

And even after starting over a few dozen times, after playthroughs that took many many hundreds of hours, KSP still manages to completely draw me in. It just keeps ticking every great-game-box in my experience and never becomes dull. After more that 3 years of playing, I still want to do so much in the Kerbal Universe. I never had such a strong gaming experience that is lasting for years allready! I've started calling KSP a hobby instead of a game...

I wonder how other long term players experience KSP after logging so many hours that keeping up with it doesn't really matter anymore. And on a different notice: Do I need help? :):wink:

After about 3,000 hours I determined that the only way I was ever going to play any other games was if I severely restricted my time in KSP.  1,000 hours in Rimworld or Mount & Blade seemed like minor distractions in comparison.  300 hours in Witcher 3 was a short story.  Since stepping back from KSP I've also played any number of shorter games (most of which are still in the 30-60 hour range) and even stepped outside now and again!

That said, I've also put another 1,000 - 1,500 hours into KSP so, no, it never ends.  It just waits patiently for you to come back and answer someone's design question on this forum :-)

I'm glad I bought mine from the KSP store rather than Steam as it means I don't know how many hours I've put in :D

I tend to get bored occasionally and not play for a few months, but then it sucks me back in.  In my last sabbatical I bought a Rift and have to say that Superhot VR is probably the best game I've ever played...but it's so short...so now I'm back in KSP again...

Actually I say bored, sometimes it's the other way around, it get so daunting with all the things I want to do in KSP that I end up not doing any of them.  Currently I think I've probably got 2 or 3 weeks worth of work just build and test the stuff for my next mission. :D

7 minutes ago, RizzoTheRat said:

I'm glad I bought mine from the KSP store rather than Steam as it means I don't know how many hours I've put in :D

Oh, I assume most players here play their modded game outside of steam anyway. (copy the whole game to another directory and steam has no idea when you play or what you do to the files) I keep copies of my installs all the way back to 0.9, with different sets of mods for each iteration ever since then.

My steam tells me I have played KSP for 2 hours. Sounds about right :wink:

Couldn't tell you how many hours I've spent.  i got frustrated with RO and quit cold for a few months, and then came back when I could confirm RO was updated for 1.6.1.  I hope I'll never have to quit playing.  Best $40 (game and one DLC, so far) ever spent on entertainment.

I've been pretty much owned and operated by this game since 2014. I'll probably switch over to KSP2 when it comes, at which point I'm guessing (knowing myself) that my copy of KSP1 will languish.

But if you count KSP2 not as a replacement, but rather as a continuation of basically the same "phenomenon" that is KSP (which I do), then I don't see this obsession ending any time soon.

For me, this is the first time I've come across a game that nails the trifecta of, 1.fun (and replayable) to play, and 2. fun to create mods for, and 3. a community in which it's fun to participate. Nothing else even comes close.

So yeah. Gonna be here a while. It doesn't have to end unless you want it to. ;)

I was frustrated at first by the learning curve, but once I read up on basic orbital mechanics, things clicked and I really started enjoying the game. Both for career modes, and just fooling around in sandbox. I can easily kill 3-4 hours in one setting, and have done many sunrise to sunset sessions (real Earth time). 

This game appeals to my nerdiness, and redneck appreciation of 'more power' and stuff blowing up. And my love of Space exploration.

It will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever end.
Wait, we're talking about KSP? I thought we were talking about UK politics!
Nevertheless, KSP is a great game and will continue forever. I'm still waiting for @Kuzzter to finish Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey, and that is unlikely to happen soon. So until then I will play obsessively, albeit a little impaired by my really slow performance.

13 hours ago, Saturn5tony said:

I have played for a little over one month now.

One of the things that is special about KSP is that those of us who have been playing for half a decade or more are still excited to hear about peoples' first Mun landings and other achievements.  Welcome to the game :-)

3 hours ago, Pecan said:

One of the things that is special about KSP is that those of us who have been playing for half a decade or more are still excited to hear about peoples' first Mun landings and other achievements.  Welcome to the game :-)

Thank you @Pecan! So looking forward to a Mun landing, or even a nice geocentric orbit around Kerban would cool as well. lol

20 hours ago, steuben said:

"In the end?" Nothing ends, Epicdreamer. Nothing ever ends.

Well KSP does use simplified physics, but someone's bound to have written a  mod that incudes the heat death of the universe :D

Edited by RizzoTheRat

• 1 month later...

Anything have a starts and will have an end. That is the sad truth, no matter you try feel it, that will be facts. Of course it's very unlikely for KSP to die but as i remember, i didn't quite enjoy KSP after boarding school like used to enjoy KSP before boarding school. I used to put countless of hour in this game but now, i'm too lazy to even open the game, neither waiting the loading part.

Even then i rather stay at home playing video games and computer, now i preferred to go out and hangs out with my friend. KSP of course Have a slow death just like a star, but once the game died, it may become like minecraft. Still in peoples hearth and maybe one day, it may resurface itself. Just like a star, Born, Died, and Rebirth again. 

Atleast that's in my opinion of course

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.