KSP2 Delayed to FY2021, according to Take Two earnings report

drhay53

According to a "call with investors", KSP2 has been delayed until FY2021.

https://www.pcgamer.com/kerbal-space-program-2-is-delayed/

I couldn't find a deeper source than the article itself that is making the claim, but I find PC Gamer to be reputable. I didn't spend too much time trying to track down the call or a transcript.

EDIT: here is the earnings report and quote.

https://ir.take2games.com/news-releases/news-release-details/take-two-interactive-software-inc-reports-strong-results-13?field_nir_news_date_value[min]=2019

• Announced that Kerbal Space Program 2, the sequel to the beloved original space sim, is in development and is now planned for launch on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One during our fiscal year 2021. The original Kerbal Space Program has sold-in over 3.5 million units worldwide, and earned a Metacritic rating of 88 and a Steam user score of 91%.

Edited by drhay53

They say FY2021 then say FY2021 lasts from April 2020 to March 2021. 

If I had to guess, i would say KSP 2 has been delayed only a few months, to around May or June, possibly July of 2020. 

These companies like to play silly stupid games like this, giving misleading info.

Also, if you can find only one source, it's more than likely not true and the company jumping the gun on a rumor. I'd wait till multiple outlets report on it before believing this.

Edited by GoldForest

Hope they take their time to get it right, maybe if its delayed they can implement some of the developments coming from unity over the next year to improve its performance.

Also, maybe they'll have early release beta testing to make up for making us wait :P

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

These companies like to play silly stupid games like this, giving misleading info.

Also, if you can find only one source, it's more than likely not true and the company jumping the gun on a rumor. I'd wait till multiple outlets report on it before believing this.

PLUS I looked more into it and there were no sources as well. But I do agree this is just Company Click-bait. But if it is true I am ready for it, I know (After programming myself,) things take a while. And besides, better late than never.

I had some time and found it directly in the earnings report released today.

https://ir.take2games.com/news-releases/news-release-details/take-two-interactive-software-inc-reports-strong-results-13?field_nir_news_date_value[min]=2019

• Announced that Kerbal Space Program 2, the sequel to the beloved original space sim, is in development and is now planned for launch on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One during our fiscal year 2021. The original Kerbal Space Program has sold-in over 3.5 million units worldwide, and earned a Metacritic rating of 88 and a Steam user score of 91%.

Of course, I agree with everyone that this could mean anything from a month to a full year. No way to know until the dev team starts communicating again.

Three points:

A) I called it.

B) April is still Spring. So is May. Heck so is most of June. They said "Spring 2020" so unless they were releasing it in the first 2 weeks of Spring this announcement is confirmation, not refutation, of what they said.

C) I still called it and still expect it to be later than they said it would be. Or it will be released on time but buggy and I'll be sad that they didn't release it later than they said it would be.

EDIT:

I read the release and they are saying it's delayed. Which as I said above is a good thing.

Edited by 5thHorseman

2 hours ago, GoldForest said:

They say FY2021 then say FY2021 lasts from April 2020 to March 2021. 

If I had to guess, i would say KSP 2 has been delayed only a few months, to around May or June, possibly July of 2020. 

Not so much bad info, it's just when their financial year ends. It could be released in April, but to Take Two, that would be the next financial year.

1 hour ago, mattinoz said:

Someone wanted to move release to 1st of April without realizing how much of spin that would cause the accountants. 

Possibly the case, or some point during the 2nd quarter. (Which can be considered spring-summer.)

1 hour ago, airtrafficcontroller said:

Oh no! The Kraken...

Possibly... it wouldn't surprise me, it's KSP after all.

Personally, I'm fine with this. Always thought they should have left it at 2020 (like they say in the trailer and on the Steam page-those never specified spring!) instead of specifying spring in some places, specifically this fiscal year in others, and leaving it at 2020 elsewhere. Leaving more specific timings to when they had more firm plans would have been a bit better, but oh well.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if the success of Outer Worlds plays into this a bit. Maybe that success has given plenty more resources to work with in the budget department...

All the best games get delayed.  

We live in a different world of development than when I was a kid.  Then, you had mega-studios with massive teams that would concept, design, code and release a game in 8 months.  They'd release teasers 4-6 months in advance, sometimes.  Other times you'd find out the game existed when it was released.   From the time you were aware of it, to when it was in your hands, was a short period back then. 

Nowadays, however, without mega-studio backing or large amounts of cash and a deadline, studios need to release the teaser earlier, to generate revenue support and show backers there's a market.  Create hype to drive the final sales.  The game can be much earlier in the dev cycle of design when that teaser is released.  The games today are larger, more complex pieces of work.  They are usually compiled by smaller, independent studios of passion-driven individuals, so you'll get a better game, but you're gonna wait longer to get it.  And you find out it exists much sooner in the timeline of dev and release, than we grew up accustomed too.  

So be patient.  It's rude to ask the studio when they're going to launch the rocket.  

Good. The previous date reeked of "let's rush it out before FY2020 ends" practice, which is never a good thing. That should take some pressure off the devs, give them time to work out the kinks. 

Good, the initial 8-months development lifecycle didn't sound like enough for much more than KSP 1.x.x.
Bad, any decent studio should have known that, so they shouldn't have talked rubbish.
Good, an August release would mean a full year, at least, so they might make a decent product.
Bad, but they didn't bother to tell us, just the investors.
Good, it's still happening!
Bad, without any signs of competence.

10 minutes ago, Pecan said:

Good, the initial 8-months development lifecycle didn't sound like enough for much more than KSP 1.x.x.
Bad, any decent studio should have known that, so they shouldn't have talked rubbish.
Good, an August release would mean a full year, at least, so they might make a decent product.
Bad, but they didn't bother to tell us, just the investors.
Good, it's still happening!
Bad, without any signs of competence.

You really think they started working on the game when it was announced?

They used the old poodle design in the trailer so the porting of the assets from the first game have to be at least precedent to the poodle rework.

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, Master39 said:

You really think they started working on the game when it was announced?

I'm not sure if they've even started working on the game yet.

They made an animation, mostly featuring old assets and mechanics, that's all.

2 minutes ago, Pecan said:

They made an animation, mostly featuring old assets and mechanics, that's all.

Then you missed all the confirmed information that came out in the week after the release of that trailer, including a group of KSP personalities being invited in the studio to see the game and talk with the Devs.

@Snark was one of them.

39 minutes ago, Pecan said:

They had a demo at PAX from what I recall reading at the time.

As for telling their investors but not us... well of course they're going to tell their investors first. They actually owe their investors something.

14 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Take Two ruining Squads long standing efforts to hide the numbers of their niche little indie game being not so niche after all.

I was gonna say that I think this is the first time we have ever got sales figures. Gotta love that accidental release of info lol.