KSP2 Delayed to FY2021, according to Take Two earnings report

drhay53

16 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Take Two ruining Squads long standing efforts to hide the numbers of their niche little indie game being not so niche after all.

3.5 million I would consider niche. 

Especially when you consider a good amount of games sell well over 10 million copies, with some games reaching 20 million. 

Also, you have to remember that's 3.5 million copies in the span of over a decade. 

Edited by GoldForest

12 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

copies in the span of over a decade

Just over 8 years actually.

12 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Especially when you consider a good amount of games sell well over 10 million copies, with some games reaching 20 million. 

AAA games.  ...and I think you discount how many games are released every year and how few reach those numbers.  I am more than willing to admit that KSP probably reached 3 million a long time ago, and the long tail has been dwindling for some time.  Which is why I was adamant early on that Take Two buying KSP was to make KSP2, and befuddled how anyone could think otherwise.

The success of a product doesn't become irrelevant the longer it's been since that success happened.

Edited by klgraham1013

1 minute ago, klgraham1013 said:

Just over 8 years actually.

Right, forgot it hasn't been a full 10 years yet. Feels like it sometimes. :P

2 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

AAA games.  ...and I think you discount how many games are released every year and how few reach those numbers.  I am more than willing to admit that KSP probably reached 3 million a long time ago, and the long tail has been dwindling for some time.  Which is why I was adamant early on that Take Two buying KSP was to make KSP2, and befuddled how anyone could think otherwise.

This is true, only the big name games really make it past 10 million, or even 20, but that is still a good amount. 

1 hour ago, Master39 said:

the confirmed information that came out in the week after the release of that trailer

First, let me be clear:- I do think KSP 2 is in progress, I did think the original schedule was too short to achieve anything much and I do think late 2020/early 2021 is a better time.

Now, with that said, everything they've shown has been more animation and less gameplay and I strongly doubt whether any of the personalities or journalists who have looked at the mock-ups - at best prototypes - were in a position to judge much of anything on the technical side.  My original post simply highlights that if you have a short project you should be able to manage it quite tightly.  Effectively doubling or tripling the development time, just a couple of months after announcement, does not inspire confidence.

I stress, this is corporate-BS cynicism.  It is possible that everyone at Star Theory / Private Division have sat down and said, "You know what?  We were aiming low with just a re-write and mild update but this thing has so much potential it's worth taking a bit longer and making something really good."  We can hope, they are charging many-year AAA price+ for the thing, after all.

4 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

have you not seen this?

Yes I have, so what?  It's a pre-recorded and rendered animation that has been extensively edited before over-excited 'games journalists' were allowed to say it was 'game play'.

12 minutes ago, Pecan said:

Yes I have, so what?  It's a pre-recorded and rendered animation that has been extensively edited before over-excited 'games journalists' were allowed to say it was 'game play'.

how can you say this a rendered animation? 

5 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

how can you say this a rendered animation? 

Do you see or hear anyone playing this "game play"?  Does it cut between wildly different scenes?  Does it (eg; 1.10 - 1.20) have non-standard camera-movement that would be easy to arrange if you were setting it up as an animation but rather harder - especially as pre-alpha - for someone actually playing the game?

How can you say it is 'actual game play'?  No doubt some of it is clips from when the devs were testing but it's pretty meaningless.  We already know KSP 1 exists.

13 minutes ago, Pecan said:

No, that's alpha gameplay, not an animation.

If you have more reliable source than the rest of the community with a proof that they're liying and that is not gameplay please share them with the rest of us.

Also the one visiting the studio were not "game journalist", half of them are modders from this community and without any source from you I tend to think that they're not liying.

47 minutes ago, Pecan said:

mild update

there are more new parts in the trailer (which is made out of actual game assets, so every part I shown will be in the game) than the total one that KSP1 has now.

On top of that you have the colonization system, the extra planetary launchpad system, the station building system, the resource gathering system, the interstellad exploration and associated technologies, the new terrain system, the upgraded graphics and the rewrite of the core engine from a more experienced Dev team and with a clearer idea of what the scope of the game is.

1 minute ago, Master39 said:

a clearer idea of what the scope of the game is

But no idea how long it will take, apparently.

What exactly is the point of this discussion?  I think that doubling or tripling the development schedule, a few months after announcing a very short timescale, shows a lack of competence.  Again, so what?  It's my admitted corporate-BS cynicism and if you disagree that's fine too; I wish I had your reasons to be more optimistic.

5 minutes ago, Pecan said:

What exactly is the point of this discussion?  I think that doubling or tripling the development schedule, a few months after announcing a very short timescale, shows a lack of competence.  Again, so what?  It's my admitted corporate-BS cynicism and if you disagree that's fine too; I wish I had your reasons to be more optimistic.

based on the poodle engine design the game started development before 1.6 released late last year

That's not cynism, that's called ignoring all the information already released and/or saying that the people invited to the studio are openly liying.

You started this conversation by saying that there's no game at and now, after being disproven, you are moving the goalpost by distorting the news.

They announced the game for 2020 (in the trailer it says "Litobraking near you in 2020") and now in an investor meeting the publisher said it slipped in FY2021, that means that the game has gone from the fiscal year starting in March 2019 and ending in March 2020 to the one starting in March 2020 and ending in March 2021.

Nobody is:

doubling or tripling the development schedule

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, DStaal said:

Wasn't it Scott Manley who pointed out to them in one of their interviews that 'Spring' could mean October, if you're counting the southern hemisphere?  ;)

:thonk:

bruh moment indeed

Edited by Xurkitree

Thread temporarily locked for moderator review.

-----

Some posts have been removed due to arguing and/or the insulting of fellow members.

I know this is a pretty hot issue, but we need to keep it civil.  We can disagree without making it personal.

We're going to keep this locked for a couple hours to let everyone involved cool off.

Well... I was allocating more time to my KSP sessions so that I would be done with my campaign goals (KSRSS/Uranus space station, Galileo Planet's pack, and maybe before/after Kerbal if I had the time).
Looks like I just got more time on my plate.  Now I want KSP2 as much as the next Kerbonaut, but I'm fine with it taking more time if we get something less buggy/bare bones when the time comes.

As long as when we get to purchase the final product we don't end-up with another Fallout76 or Anthem, then fine !
[EDIT] And We just learned Diablo 4 will have Microtransactions.  Man I'm worried for KSP2 :/

Edited by Francois424

They've been told by essentially everyone to take their time and delay if they think it's necessary. Now it happened and everyone thinks of it as some sort of betrayal or lie?

Deferring the release was the best and most honest thing Star Theory could have done.

Could this be bad,... possibly, if yearly extension after yearly extension occured without us seeing anything. But we are not yet at this point, and it is not helpful to start feeling anxiety over it, even though we all badly want the game tomorrow.

For now, this is a one-time delay that could amount to no more than a month, for a game we indicated they had a tight timeframe for. The info we have gives from a month to a year more time, which gives them the breathing space I personally expect them to need to make a good game. I could also see Take Two having wanted to release it in Fiscal year 2020 for economic statistics and reporting results and such, which they now have sacrificed for unspecified reasons. As for the careless speculation on my part; We've had the reveal last month and the team was taking in lots of feedback. What we hear now would be inline with the team processing that feedback (including possibly our cues that we have patience) and concluded (/convinced T2) that a delay was for the better.

All in all, I don't see things here that couldn't plausibly be explained by a change for the better, and I also don't see things that are good indicators of impeding disaster. I will not be losing sleep over this.

I have patience.

Edited by nikokespprfan

Honestly, all this seems a bit absurd. The deadline was "Spring 2020". It still is. In fact, for it to be true for a FY2020 release, it'd have to come out in the last two weeks of March (really, they might have as well given a specific date, given how narrow this range is). A tiniest delay, on order of days, would suffice to bump it into FY2021 in that case. And it's far better than if they had been blindly pushing for FY2020 date in order to pander to the accounting department.

People should learn what a fiscal year means before reading those reports. It's a lot of drama for what is, most likely, a slip of a few weeks. Everyone, stop acting as if it was bumped into the next calendar year. It might as well mean they're targeting a Cosmonautics Day release (though late April seems more likely, especially since Easter holidays come quite early this year).

13 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Elite 2: Frontier - 1993
Elite Dangerous - 2014

That's what the "waiting" was.

At least the Golconda is helping me wait for KSP2 now.

o7