KSP2 Delayed to FY2021, according to Take Two earnings report

drhay53

On 11/8/2019 at 12:22 PM, GoldForest said:

3.5 million I would consider niche. 

Especially when you consider a good amount of games sell well over 10 million copies, with some games reaching 20 million. 

Also, you have to remember that's 3.5 million copies in the span of over a decade. 

I wonder how the ratios look between the 1.0 level downloads and the current version, how many are "new" people, making payments and how many are upgrades. That's the sort of thing that a plain total-sales figure can hide, and KSP is different from many games in that it isn't a fixed end point. How many times can you play through Doom or Tomb Raider or Minesweeper? Maybe KSP is more akin to Flight Simulator. A quick check suggested one version had sales of a couple of million, but I didn't find any more than that.

I would say that, yes, KSP is in a niche market, but it's not trivial. 

It's only news because people don't know what a fiscal year is, and think it's been delayed a year. I bet that a thread named "KSP2 delayed for two weeks" wouldn't attract nearly as much attention, except maybe from those who enjoy smacking down people making useless threads.

As someone who is actually working on a development project (though regrettably not nearly as interesting as KSP2 :( ) and after seeing several examples of game developers rushing to release something before it was ready and then either backing it out again with their heads down and tails between their legs or trying to fix all the problems in an even more rushed release, in my experience the only time you'll actually know the release date is if it's in a few days time, or contractually obligated- in the latter case you'll probably end up with something dismal that doesn't work properly/at all. 

There are many many many things that can pop up during a big project- everyone gets flu and is off for three weeks, new versions of third party stuff get released (e.g. Unity), a 'simple' feature turns out to be horrendously complicated and takes months to finish, power cut breaks the servers and erases the last few weeks' work, etc. etc. - so don't be surprised if the release is delayed a bit. Better to be late but great than release early and be terrible; let's face it, if KSP2 was released and crashed every 2 minutes, glitched you across the solar system(s) for no obvious reason and was basically a rebuild of the original game with barely anything new, the forums would explode. And I'd be throwing plenty of dynamite in there too.

On 11/9/2019 at 11:08 PM, kerbiloid said:

Afaik, it was too buggy to play, but I don't insist.
Anyway: Elite 3: First Encounters - 1995

So, not 21 years, but just 19.

just remember 1995 buggy < 2019 buggy. i dont think ive ever encountered a game-killing bug with ffe. buy a game today and your lucky if the damn thing even works. 

Edited by Nuke

1 hour ago, Nuke said:

just remember 1995 buggy < 2019 buggy. i dont think ive ever encountered a game-killing bug with ffe. buy a game today and your lucky if the damn thing even works. 

And yet people still prefer games made this century over those made last century.

Comparing FFE with Elite Dangerous is comparing apples to apple seeds. Sure the seeds had no bruises...

9 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

And yet people still prefer games made this century over those made last century.

Comparing FFE with Elite Dangerous is comparing apples to apple seeds. Sure the seeds had no bruises...

which people? certainly not all of them. i could count the games i have enjoyed from the last decade on one hand (present company included). previous decade maybe 3 times that. golden era 90s games, i got a cd case full of excellent games from that period. obligatory get off my lawn. 

the point was back in ye olde golden age of gaming, games had to be in a much better state at release. internet was slow if you had it at all and so the games needed to run well right out of the box. now they will dump an alpha game on you, call it a beta, and release a zero day patch. 

Edited by Nuke

8 minutes ago, Nuke said:

which people? certainly not all of them.

The vast majority. Of course not all of them. You pretty much can't make any blanket statement about all people. Except, I suppose, that statement I just made.

8 minutes ago, Nuke said:

i could count the games i have enjoyed from the last decade on one hand. previous decade maybe 3 times that. golden era 90s games, i got a cd case full of excellent games from that period. obligatory get off my lawn. 

With extremely small exceptions, I would rather play a game made in the last few years to one made in the 90s. Or the 80s when I was playing them on my Atari or my Apple //c. I can probably come up with a list of dozens of games I enjoyed from the 70s, 80s, and 90s. About 4 of them I would actually enjoy today*.

And in both of those lists I'd include all 3 classic Elite games. I loved them. I played the original like I was a space trucker for years. I tried it a few years ago (well, Oolite which is a pretty faithful clone that is if anything better) and it's hot garbage.

*Atari's Adventure, or its clone Indenture, is still fun though it doesn't hold my interest nearly as well as most anything that came out this year that I actually wanted to play.

35 minutes ago, razark said:

I remember sub sims when I was 8 or 9.

ids5PDx.png

2 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

Gosh! I was a mere 35 when that came out ;)

3 hours ago, KerbMav said:

... ... yeah ... right ... we were ALL still so young ... indeed ... ... *cries in 40*

Jesus I'm 30, am I somehow on the younger side of this games audience?

Just now, 5thHorseman said:

Well it is a game about physics and rocket science.

FTR when I was 8 I was playing Pong. Though it wasn't brand new it was darn close.

Earliest I got is I grew up on commander keen/lemmings followed by sonic and F-22 Interceptor :P

I hope. They delay it further. As promising as the project sounds, what they showed seemed pretty early and release within even a year, let alone 6 months, sounded like a stretch assuming that they intended a finished product with all the features that they promised. 

Sure, they can always patch things after the fact, but it's always going to be easier to optimize and bug fix a game pre release than after it already live and you can't really tear out major gameplay/technical systems in order to make them run better. I want KSP2 to be the game that completely replaces KSP1 on every level (content, performance, buginess, UI, etc) and isn't that bad sequel that everyone pretends never happened after the fact. That just can't realistically happen on a roughly one year development cycle. 

Take your time, do it right. Delays in game development are almost always good news for the finished product. 

8 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

26 here, and I've long since realized that I'm almost too young to be a KSP, Elite Dangerous and Lego fan.

Edited by Guest

This talk about delaying stuff just reminds me of the rushed released schedule Pokemon is currently under, and every game is now rushed, with the worst effects being in Sword and Shield. Game development i.e actual coding apparently started around 2 years ago. And now these games look nice until you realise they actually look trash.

22 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

At 30 you're on the younger side of all computer games players (just).

Eg; Polygon (2016 but I haven't got time to look for a newer figure) "The average guy who plays games is 35; the average woman is 44" (https://www.polygon.com/2016/4/29/11539102/gaming-stats-2016-esa-essential-facts)