Relays working unrealistically.

I am In the process of setting up a relay network for duna and I have three relay satellites with me and I have only deployed one yet. Now I switched to a rover I have on the surface and it is getting connection all the time! Even when the mothership relay with 2 relay satellites still sitting in there and the deployed relay are both on the opposite side of the planet. How is this happening?? I dont even have an equilateral relay network yet.

2 hours ago, bewing said:

What kind of antenna does the rover have on it? And are relays working properly anywhere else in your current game? Perhaps you disabled CommNet in your settings?

No the commnet is still on because the rover says 'connected to relay' and my rover has a simple communotron 16 (the extendable)

And what I also am confused about is that even without the communotron 16 deployed, the rover is connected with 94% connection and extending the communotron 16 doesn't improve the connection! 

In the map display you can switch on the display of commnet connections. You probably have a relay somewhere that you weren't aware of. Also the radio waves can "bend" around the planets somewhat(*).

1 hour ago, Space boy said:

And what I also am confused about is that even without the communotron 16 deployed, the rover is connected with 94% connection and extending the communotron 16 doesn't improve the connection! 

Well, if your closest relay is really close then it doesn't matter if you are using a weaker or stronger antenna on the rover. If the first leg of the connection is already at 100% with the internal antenna in the probe core, then a stronger antenna cannot improve that.

(*) This is a real thing, but - as usual - KSP overdoes this.

1 hour ago, Kerbart said:

What kind of ship dropped the rover off? Is is still on the surface? Perhaps it functions as a relay?

I dropped the rover with purely parachutes and yes I did have a communotron 88-88 on it but it is just a direct antenna and most probably got destroyed upon impact,

On 11/9/2019 at 6:14 AM, Space boy said:

I dropped the rover with purely parachutes and yes I did have a communotron 88-88 on it but it is just a direct antenna and most probably got destroyed upon impact,

If you hover the mouse over the UI control at top left that looks like "cell phone signal strength" bars, it'll show you your communications path back to KSC.  That, at least, will tell you what you're routing through.  What does it say?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.