Game is too slow to play. [Linux]

I am playing KSP 1.8.1, for which the minimum specs are:

Linux (minimum | recommended):

• Processor: Core 2 Duo | Core i5
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM | 8 GB RAM
  • Video Card: SM 4.0 512MB VRAM | SM 4.0 1GB VRAM
  • Hard Disk Space: 3 GB HD space | 4 GB HD space

These are the specs on my computer at the moment. Previously I was playing on Windows, which I had for work, but now I have Ubuntu as everything is online anyway.

uCq8U62.png

Although my computer is old, I think I have the right specs for KSP. Indeed it is at the same speed it always was in the SPH, VAB, map mode and tracking station. But when I am in the flight mode, it slows down so that I can see the frames. It is so slow I will invariably botch any landing I attempt to make, which is not fun at all.
Do you have any ideas how I can speed up my game, and what I need to buy?

Maybe its the graphics. Do you have the right drivers? Getting drivers for linux is tricky but theres an option on almost all Linux OS to install third party software like drivers but i could be wrong. Maybe its the VRAM memory. see it you can find how much it has. Also, not sure if you know that GB and GiB are not the same but RAM is not a problem in your case.
So i recommend searching how VRAM do you have, converting it to GB if it isnt already and if now enough search for drivers or buy a dedicated graphics card.

$ glxinfo | egrep -i 'device|memory'
    Device: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile  (0x166)
    Video memory: 1536MB
    Unified memory: yes

I have no idea whether that is VRAM or not but 1.5GB VRAM approx. should work.
@JoaquinJAR what driver should I have? I have 'no proprietary drivers in use', which is the only info I could find in the relevant app.

Edited by fulgur

Yes that its Video memory (VRAM) , but it seems you have enough so vram isn't the problem.
also, are you sure you didnt mess with any kind of KSP or computer settings? your hardware seems to be fine and i don't think you can buy a dedicated graphics card since you have a laptop. see if you can find drivers or something for that Ivybridge mobile graphics chip. 

I'm afraid this is probably due to unity (and physx) being less optimized for linux than windows. It sounds to me that the physics calculation can't keep up. Is the timer you see in top left going red (or orange)?

You could debug by using the debug menu alt+f12, and look into the performance tab there.

I've played on computers with similar specs and it has worked unless loading up crafts with > 100 parts.

Have you tested by turning all gfx option down and selected full screen at the displays natural resolution?

Even played on a laptop with 2x2.8GHz Core2, but using the AMD RV620 gfx card.

But the Ivy_bridge internal should be enough I would think.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.