What year is it in your save, and how did you get there?

Jodo42

Had to wait around a few years in a Kerbin-Moho transfer for the encounters to line up recently; that bumped me up to Year 27 Kerbal-time. That's after return missions from Duna and Laythe so far. How old is your space program, and how much has it gotten done in that time?

I imagine this is a question that would generate some very long answers, for most people.

For me it's Year 9, Day 79 of my first career. I've carefully, mostly worked around Kerbin's SOI, with some IR/Relay sats sent to solar orbit, and one scanning relay sat sent to Duna. As much as I hate grinding, I've also probably rescued 25+ kerbals and taken at least double that many tourists on excursions in that time.

I've got plenty of cash ($100M), and about 60K of useless science, so right now I'm clearing out all of the short contracts that will expire when I'm doing long-run contracts (I don't have mods like Kerbal Alarm Clock installed, yet).

Time to explore the outer reaches of the system, finally.

Which save?

Peter Pan?  Day 0 - lots of saved vehicles, test flights
Career?  Day 116 - meh, you need to look at the contracts/tech tree sometimes
Net?  Year 2 - 74 flights in progress
Contest? Year 64 - a christmas challenge a couple of years ago took until year 45 and I've sort of been accelerating time from there ... (nothing very special, really)
Stack?  Year 124 - 270 flights in progress.  I haven't looked at it for a while, it makes my head hurt

My current career started after the 1.7.3 release and is just getting into year 5.  Mun & Minmus have space stations & large (for me) surface mining operations.  The career first manned Duna expedition is getting ready to come home soon, & I have unmanned probes & landers at Moho, Eve/Gilly, Duna/Ike, and Dres, with more enroute to Jool & Eeloo.  I also have some of the infrastructure for a manned Jool/Laythe mission en route (station, mining outpost, amphibious rover) and a Moho station & surface outpost a few weeks from departing LKO.  A lot of my time is spent waiting for craft to build - I'm using a formula to calculate craft construction times based on cost (the idea borrowed from the KVASS mod, with a few changes & doing it on a spreadsheet instead of in-game).  With current upgrades, I can build a 500k fund craft in about a month,.  To offset that, I'm starting to build spaceplanes that just require fueling before a mission after the initial build time.  I keep a post-it next to my computer with a list of what spaceplanes I've built, by type & serial number (year-day built - for example my most recent one is "CS-04 04-366")

My longest career was probably in 1.3.1, and was up around year 50 before I made the jump to 1.4 and a new career.

Career started in 1.6.1 is at 266 years. ~150 tracked crafts. Mining colonies and orbital fuel depots in every planetary system + OPM planets. Winding it down now with a grand tour of every body including OPM bodies. That alone takes over 150 years with simple hohmann transfers. Planning to bring all manned missions back when 1.8.2 is released and mods catch up, and start again from clean install. I am a little surprised this save has lasted so long without bugging out seriously.

Edited by ExtremeSquared

• 2 months later...

The longest and most robust career I ever played made it to Year 16. This was a "hard mode" style with KCT and TAC-LS installed.. pre-DeltaV readout (and no MOD to add it).. and only one kerbal death (an early test flight failure). This was such an enjoyable career that I may even go back and wrap things up with the tech tree and bring everyone home.  Last time I loaded it, there was a Laythe space-plane waiting in orbit for their return-home Uber.

I only ever got up to... 20 years in the one sandbox save where I did challenge flights. Jool-5, testing out some Duna designs and a failed Eve ascent vehicle. Currently on Y0D0 in my most frequented save; with my current potato it's so much more fun sitting in the SPH than wrestling with a brick-SSTO at a couple of frames per second.

I am currently not even finished with first year in Career (have only come back a month or so ago, so I didn't remember how long a Kerbal year is and was a bit confused why I am still at year 1 on day 366), but from not warping much and doing lots of stuff inbetween I'm almost done with the tech tree; I have a probe on its way to Eve and I plan on establishing a Duna colony next. 

Do you people with decades ingame do one mission after another or do you do SO MUCH STUFF?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.