Suggestion: Integrated KSP Instances

Matrick13

So, ksp is fun, but it gets a bit annoying(in my opinion) when you have multiple sets of mods you want to play. For my type of playing, you gotta have an instance of ksp for stock; an instance for RO; an instance for mks; and a lot more; and if you want to experiment with a mod, new instance. All of them are in different versions. Every time you have to do all the steam console things and some same mods but a different version in ckan. All that and only one instance is linked with steam, and will break if there was an update.

What I'm proposing is, a completely overhauled main menu and loading in ksp 2.

Right now, ksp is fully loaded after you are in the main menu. The right version, the right mods. I'd like a new way of getting into the game sorta like this:

• the game doesn't load before you go into the main menu, but when you go into a save
  • multiple versions of ksp accessible and you can choose what version a save runs on
  • a ksp folder with directories ksp 2.x, the different versions, with saves and game data inside
  • a mod manager which, when you install mods, you can choose which versions for which instances and saves it will run on

So basically, the main menu only loads the framework for displaying the main menu, and when you load a save, a specific version of ksp and mods you installed on that specific save will run.

This can cut the need for multiple instances of ksp taking up huge space on your computer(since only the GameData/Squad folder changes in between an update) and make modding easier. Linking all the versions into steam, and not having to rely on steam to give you automatic updates that break the game; instead, ksp manages the updates.

Here's a mockup of the ksp folder in my mind:

wNFn5uW.png

First post, what do you guys think? :D

Edited by Matrick13
Typo

If you understand the filesystem (your image looks like you are on Linux) well, you can use Symlinks (at least under 1.7.x and older, haven't tried 1.8.x yet) to point to a mega-folder containing all the mods you use, then each instance only has a Symlink to the central mod folder under the GameData Folder.  You can do similar with the basic KSP game files/folders pointing to the stock version.  This will cut down on disk usage, and will allow you to share any settings that the mods store in their own folders.  I do not recommend sharing your saves folder though, loading and unloading save games in different configurations can cause ships to vanish.

For example: ( '->' means Symlink)

KSP_1.7.3_stock
  -Basic game, no mods

KSP_1.7.x_MODS
  -All the mods you may use

KSP_1.7.3_NFonly
 |- GamaData/ModuleManager.4.0.2.dll -> <path to>/KSP_1.7.x_MODS/ModuleManager.4.0.2.dll
 |- GameData/NearFutureConstruction -> <path to>/KSP_1.7.x_MODS/NearFutureConstruction
 |- GameData/NearFutureElectrical -> <path to>/KSP_1.7.x_MODS/NearFutureElectrical
 |- GameData/Squad -> <path to>/KSP_1.7.3_stock/GameData/Squad
 |- Ships -> <path to>/KSP_1.7.3_stock/Ships

This method works fairly well for me on Linux Mint 19.  Just remember that se of the core files, mostly configuration files, should not be Symlinked as they are specific to your "running" configuration.

Interesting idea.  It would greatly shorten the 'loading screen' time, and lengthen the 'game loading' time - but total time would be the same.  

However, this might be the type of thing that if it's not already done, it's to late to make the modification.  (As it would be a fairly basic part of the loading system for the game.)

Yeah, I like that too.

There are many games that let you specify per-save mods, although different versions of KSP itself might be tough to do.  I'd particularly like it if I could at least load ships with missing/invalid parts so that I can edit them, instead of having to start from scratch.  On the other hand, I can see that this is both hard to do and adds hard to justify - you don't get new sales from backwards compatibility.

I'd think per-save (even per-situation) asset loading and activation including mods would be a massive bonus to KSP2.  The sort of thing that would set up the game for 10years of future development.

It was talked about as an aim in early Developer blogs but dropped out of discussions.