On 11/11/2019 at 5:46 AM, Sidestrafe2462 said:

KSP is a game about the navies of the void, the devs shouldn't be wasting time on gimmicks like that- not until there's something to do in the seas.

Maybe another DLC, with rocks and stuff underwater?

However, I build boats too. Just imagine that rockets are props, use a mod or go buy the DLC,.

I mean, Space X has landed rockets on boats; recovered nose cones on a boat.  NASA is testing a submarine for Titan.  People keep saying planes and boats have nothing to do with space travel, but reality says otherwise.  Sure, it's all in it's infancy at this point, but so were rovers once upon a time.

2 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

I mean, Space X has landed rockets on boats; recovered nose cones on a boat.  NASA is testing a submarine for Titan.  People keep saying planes and boats have nothing to do with space travel, but reality says otherwise.  Sure, it's all in it's infancy at this point, but so were rovers once upon a time.

Makes sense, i guess!

On 11/11/2019 at 12:46 PM, Sidestrafe2462 said:

KSP is a game about the navies of the void, the devs shouldn't be wasting time on gimmicks like that- not until there's something to do in the seas.

*coughtlaythecoughtwaterworldscought*

Boats could be a nice feature for exploring ocean worlds

We already have boat propellers in the form of plane propellers and ducted fans with BG. And also just fins mounted on a motor, reaction wheel shaft, turboshaft or jet-shaft. Plus paddlewheel, jet, and airprop boats have been around for nearly half a decade now. And can easily propel boats, even large ones, to realistic speeds and beyond. If you can learn to use the tools we have for this, frankly I would be very surprised if you could use dedicated parts to better effect. So they'd be nice to have for aesthetics but are definitely not essential.

I would like more intentional boat hull parts though. And as for "muh primacy of space" argument. It was never a great argument to begin with and who's to say I don't want to land a mini-aircraft carrier on Laythe or Eve? Or use one as a launch or landing platform on Kerbin? I already do these things with space missions so why would adding dedicated parts be a bad thing? Same goes for dedicated seaplane floats, hydrofoils, and flying boat hulls.

Perhaps most significantly, a water-nullifying option for cargo bays and fairings would be great.

Edited by Pds314

On 11/14/2019 at 1:11 PM, KerbolExplorer said:

*coughtlaythecoughtwaterworldscought*

Boats could be a nice feature for exploring ocean worlds

I meant things in the water, like extra science tidbits or something, but yeah, I agree.

Why am I even trying to argue against this? my entire KSP forum presence has to do with boat building.

Edited by Sidestrafe2462
speeeeling

8 hours ago, Pds314 said:

I mean, robot oars are pretty easy with BG. They're not always efficient. But easy.

Robot oars aren't needed because of propellers.

I mean the usual, muscle oars. To put a crew in, say, an inflatable boat and go to the coast from a floating capsule or from a splashed plane, or just from a ship.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.