More Cargo Bays

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Why not just scale the existing  ones with ModuleManager?

Aren't the existing ones just Mk2 and Mk3 and not 1.25m and 2.5m?  Service bays don't count as they're closed on the ends.  Not exactly the same freedom as the Mk2 and Mk3 lego style bays.  Right now I'm using mods for this, but it would be nice to have them stock and then restocked.

Really I think we should have many more sizes for plane fuselage parts and cargo bays. 1.25, 1.875, 2.5, 3.75, 5.0, double wide mk3, and maybe even "half mk2" bays, fuselages, adapters, and where reasonably doable, cabins and cockpits.

Edited by Pds314

Several responses have been removed, due to descending into irrelevant bickering over what constitutes a valid argument-- completely derailing the thread in the process.

Folks, please try to remember that we're all pals here.  It's appropriate to provide comments on the topic at hand (e.g., for this thread, about cargo bays).  It's appropriate to share your ideas about that.  It's appropriate to respond to other people's ideas, as long as it's still on the same topic.

What's not appropriate is arguing about arguing, or criticizing the fact that someone else has chosen to make a suggestion.  If you like a suggestion, great.  If you don't like it, you don't have to use it.  You can even respond and provide your own alternate suggestion, if you like.  But it's not appropriate to criticize people for making the suggestion in the first place... and if someone does do that, it's not appropriate to respond to them.

There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with someone, but please try to think of all the other people in the thread, too.  Folks who come to this thread do so because they want to read about cargo bay suggestions, not because they want to read extensive back-and-forth infighting about what sort of arguments one should or shouldn't make.

Therefore, kindly try to stay on-topic, and leave the sanctimonious finger-wagging to the moderators.  ;)

Thank you for your understanding.

On 11/10/2019 at 10:06 PM, Geonovast said:

Long time wish of mine.  We could really use round cargo bays in 1.25, 1.875, 2.5m, 3.75, and 5m sizes. Nothing fancy.  One model would do, just scaled for all the sizes.

Just make cargo bays procedural. Kinda like the fairings are. That way, you can have any length or width of cargo bay you want.

Just now, adsii1970 said:

Just make cargo bays procedural. Kinda like the fairings are. That way, you can have any length or width of cargo bay you want.

I can't imagine the bugs that would introduce.  I think it would also have problems with the doors on varying width cargo bays.

Also, I wish the payload fairings weren't procedural.  One of my favorite mods is Simple Adjustable Fairings.  Yes, the height is adjustable, but by set increments and I can easily set my own rules on how many segments to use.  But the widths are fixed, and I can store rockets easily knowing exactly how big the fairing is.

Round cargo bays with the length being adjustable by set increments would be pretty sweet though.

• 3 weeks later...

I think for Mk3 sized spaceplanes and larger...  I'd more like to have a thicker-ish floor/wall/roof type pieces to just build my own large cargo bay areas.

I find that I can build stuff like that now and with the robotics parts even manage custom loading ramps.  I just don't like what tends to be a very thin floor or wall as a result of using the existing wing parts.  Something with thickness equal to or greater than the fat end of one of those shuttle wings I think is what I'm looking for.

Although, right now it does require the use of the robotics DLC to make ramp hinges.  ...and if you lock these custom ramps in place (you really have to) with little docking ports, that will expose a rather annoying little bug in 1.8.1 right now that I hope they will fix in 1.9.

12 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

I think for Mk3 sized spaceplanes and larger...  I'd more like to have a thicker-ish floor/wall/roof type pieces to just build my own large cargo bay areas.

I find that I can build stuff like that now and with the robotics parts even manage custom loading ramps.  I just don't like what tends to be a very thin floor or wall as a result of using the existing wing parts.  Something with thickness equal to or greater than the fat end of one of those shuttle wings I think is what I'm looking for.

Although, right now it does require the use of the robotics DLC to make ramp hinges.  ...and if you lock these custom ramps in place (you really have to) with little docking ports, that will expose a rather annoying little bug in 1.8.1 right now that I hope they will fix in 1.9.

What you could do is take the Mk 2.5 Spaceplane Parts mod and tweakscale it one size larger to 3.75, which would be the same size as Mk3.  It has some really nice parts including a loading ramp, Beluga cargo parts and more

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

What you could do is take the Mk 2.5 Spaceplane Parts mod and tweakscale it one size larger to 3.75, which would be the same size as Mk3.  It has some really nice parts including a loading ramp, Beluga cargo parts and more

Thanks, but I tend to avoid part mods like the plague...

On 11/10/2019 at 7:54 PM, Chryssalid 8492 said:

Personally I'd love a double wide MK3 cargobay for rover transport.

I'm a fan of Nertea's Mk4 mod. The cargo bays are effectively twice the width of the Mk3 ones, plus they can carry various fuel types, although they're a different shape which some people don't care for (the mod has kind of a 60s sci-fi vibe). The bottom-opening option is pretty nice too.

5 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

I'm a fan of Nertea's Mk4 mod. The cargo bays are effectively twice the width of the Mk3 ones, plus they can carry various fuel types, although they're a different shape which some people don't care for (the mod has kind of a 60s sci-fi vibe). The bottom-opening option is pretty nice too.

The Mk4 is effectively Thunderbird IV from the 60's  animated series The Thunderbirds

6 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

Alas I'm a console Kerbal.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, kspnerd122 said:

ugh console players always ask for stuff the game does not need. just cuz you cant med doesnt mean a feature should only be added because console players wanted it. deal with the fact most ksp players are on PC and can get mods.

I'm a PC player and I'd like them in stock.  Mods should be there to add to a game, not complete it.  Squad has spent the better part of 8 years relying on mods to complete their game.

On 11/10/2019 at 11:45 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Why not just scale the existing  ones with ModuleManager?

Because it's a mod...  and not shareable, unless others have the mod.

Then again, that's my typical response to anyone who suggests just use mod part "X".

I like mods for gameplay enhancements, but not for parts.

8 hours ago, kspnerd122 said:

ugh console players always ask for stuff the game does not need. just cuz you cant med doesnt mean a feature should only be added because console players wanted it. deal with the fact most ksp players are on PC and can get mods.

I want the parts in stock or expansion...  portability of parts between players to me is paramount, and I imagine as we move into a new 2.0 multiplayer world, this may become even more important to me. 

I limit mods to UI enhancements and keep them out of my hangars and aerodynamics.

Edited by XLjedi

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2019 at 3:50 AM, Shnob said:

I would really like to have more cargo bay sizes, such as 2.5m and 3.75m variants, would very much help with making sstos with cargo bays as right now the choice is either mk2 or mk3 which sometimes isn't what I want.

On 11/11/2019 at 4:06 AM, Geonovast said:

Long time wish of mine.  We could really use round cargo bays in 1.25, 1.875, 2.5m, 3.75, and 5m sizes. Nothing fancy.  One model would do, just scaled for all the sizes.

well - just released DaMichel's CargoBays - 2.5m x1m,2m,4m. Am thinking of also adding more sizes.

DaMichel's Parts

and if I keep on the grind stone - I will be releasing SimpleCargoBays hopefully this week.

All round. in many sizes (up to 5m)

hope this helps. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.