[1.12.x] Ven's Stock Revamp Resurrected: v1.16.0 "Too Much Space In Space" 2021 Sep 05

Kerbas_ad_astra

Ven's Stock Revamp

This part pack replaces several of the stock textures and models, hopefully making them more beautiful in the process.

Left: stock; Right: revamped

Left: stock Kerbal X. Right: Kerbal X with Ven's Stock Revamp.

Features

• Most parts in the base game (i.e. not from Making History or any future expansions) get completely replaced, but there are a handful of exceptions:
    • Spaceplane parts are generally left alone. (The "Wheesley", "Whiplash", and "Panther" engines get some decorative turbomachinery added to the front of them.)
    • Squad's revamped fuel tanks, adapters, and probe cores are still available as variants (though Ven's models are now the default variant for them).
    • Some of Squad's revamped thrusters and pods are left alone, since they have new functionality and look nice enough.
  • New parts are added fill some gaps in the stock range, including half-sized deployable solar panels, structural girders in multiple sizes and configurations, and a range of Oscar 0.625m fuel tanks.

A full gallery of parts is available on Imgur: https://imgur.com/a/L8rpP

Dependencies

Ven's Stock Revamp depends on Module Manager, a compatible version of which is bundled in the zip file.

FAQ (First Anticipated Question)

• Is this mod compatible with ReStock?
    • Not as-downloaded. However, if you delete the PathPatches and Squad subfolders, you can keep the new parts that Ven made and let ReStock have its way with the stock parts.

Download and install

From there, just unzip the "VenStockRevamp" folder into your GameData directory.

Please let me know in the forum thread or on the GitHub issue tracker if you find any issues!

Version history and changelog

• 1.9.6, KSP 1.2
    • Last update by Ven.
  • 1.10.0, KSP 1.4 development
    • Support for localisation
    • +PART patches expanded into full PART nodes (so that parts added by VSR are properly identified as such by Filter Extension)
    • Added support for inflatable crew module feature
    • Adjusted node positions of Ven's new Poodle model so that 'upgraded' vehicles don't have the bell sticking down into the decoupler below.
      • Moved old VSR Poodle model to new O-80 "Gale" Service Engine part (size 2 monoprop engine).
    • Re-enabled revamped wheel models (thanks @Enceos)
    • Re-enabled giant SpaceX-style landing gear (thanks @notquitehalf)
    • Added Part Variant support to Ven's engine models with optional tankbutts.
    • Added Ven's textures and models as default variants of aerodynamic fairings and Rockomax (size 2) tanks.
    • Added VSRexclude switch -- set "VSRexclude = true" in a part config and VSR will not swap its stock model(s) for Ven's versions.
    • Balanced CryoX and soft fuel tanks for updates to CryoTanks.
    • Adjusted node positions of several models to fit better and reduce thrust offset.
    • Restored Ven's old aerospike model on top of Porkjet's.
    • Lights no longer illuminate planets from orbit.
  • 1.11.0, KSP 1.5 development
    • Added fuel to Rockomax-48 fuel tank...
    • Added Ven's models as default variants of revamped Mk1 pod, Stayputnik, OKTO, OKTO2, QBE, HECS, HECS2, and RoveMate probe cores, and FL-T (size 1) fuel tanks.
    • Added new RT-10-G SRB to use Ven's model (with gimbals).
  • 1.12.0, KSP 1.6 development
    • Added Ven's models as default variants of revamped multicouplers, Rockomax and FL-T adapters, and nose cones (Aerodynamic Nose Cone and Protective Nose Cone Mk7).
      • Added new ADTP-3-2-H part, as a special lightweight hollow adapter between size 2 and 3 parts. (Squad's revamped model is a fuel tank, so Ven's model doesn't apply to it.)
      • Fixed Rockomax tanks.
    • Ven's old Poodle model returns to revamp Squad's revamped Poodle model.
      • Marked O-80 "Gale" service engine as deprecated (TechHidden = true), to be removed in a future update.
    • Ven's engine models now overwrite Squad's revamped Poodle, Spark, Terrier, RT-5, and RT-10 engine models.
      • RT-10-G SRB removed.
    • Adjusted node and fairing positions of Skipper, Poodle, LV-T30, and LV-T45 models, to reduce interference with other parts.
    • Adjusted node positions of heat shields (and Ven's Mk1 pod model) to fit better with flat-bottomed parts.
    • Changed the transform names of the vernier thrusters on the Size2MedEngine (RE-D7 "Bollard"), so they can have separate thrusts and FX groups.
  • 1.13.0, KSP 1.7 development
    • Suppressed Squad's new engine models in KSP 1.7 (24-77, Ant, Spider, RV-105, Place-Anywhere 7, Vernor).
    • Updated USI-LS patch to USI-LS 1.1.
    • Rearranged files so that users can delete all of the new parts (Part Bin) or revamps of stock parts (PathPatches & Squad).
  • 1.14.0, 02019 11 11 "Terminal Guidance"
    • A proper release!
    • Adapted to new models in 1.8 (new variants of Mk7 Nose cone and S3 fuel tanks, suppressed Squad's new service bay models).
    • Fixed a bad node location on the 1.25m Heat Shield.
  • 1.14.1, 02019 11 12 "Mercury Delayed"
    • Restored models and texture for short Rockomax decoupler and TR-8A radial decoupler.
  • 1.14.2, 02019 11 16 "MoDeL DoEs NoT eXiSt"
    • Fixed config and restored texture for Inline RCS Block.
  • 1.15.0, 02020 03 15 "I Prefer The Real Revamp"
    • Adapted to new models in KSP 1.9 (Skipper, Mainsail, Thumper)
  • 1.15.1, 02020 03 15 "Nattering Nodes of Negativism"
    • Fixed node orientation on Mk1 pod, and also adjusted node height slightly.
  • 1.16.0, 02021 09 05 "Too Much Space In Space"
    • Updated to new models and variants in KSP 1.10, 1.11, and 1.12.
      • No longer revamping RV-105 RCS thruster (Squad's revamps are fine enough, and Ven's model isn't set up to be flexible with variants)
      • RT-1 "Cricket", RT-2 "Grasshopper", and RockoMAX models (from Ven's new parts) are now also applied to the stock FM1 "Mite", F3S0 "Shrimp", and S2-33 "Clydesdale" respectively. The RT-1, RT-2, and RockoMAX are now marked as 'TechHidden'.
      • Ven's Mk 5 Strip Light is also now 'TechHidden' because there's a better striplight (that actually emits light!) in the stock game.
    • Renamed "Part Bin" subfolder to "PartBin", to accommodate Module Manager patches
    • Localized SpaceX-style landing leg (missed this one back in VSR 1.10)
    • Fixed Nose Cone Mk7 patch.
    • Fixed some config errors in LV-T15 "Dachsund" and LV-900 "Beagle" engines.
    • Fixed loading errors from IVA props. (Gated RPM modules behind "NEEDS" blocks, deleted unfinished models.)
    • Restored a few missing textures.
    • Fixed RT-20 "Sickle" model and adjusted node location accordingly.
    • Fixed model location on BACC Thumper.
    • Set up inventory configs for Ven's new parts.

Roadmap

Just like KSP 1.12 is the last major game release, I expect 1.16.0 to be the last major VSR release.

One of these days, I'd like to make a white alternate texture for Ven's strut and fuel duct (like stock), but so far I haven't made anything that looks good.

Credits

The vast majority of the models are by Ven. EmbersArc/Enceos fixed up the revamped rover wheels, and some configuration fixes were supplied by notquitehalf. The majority of the configuration fixes were committed by yours truly.

And of course, thanks are owed to Squad for making part models that are worth revamping. :wink:

License

Ven's Stock Revamp (v1.10+) is copyright 2021 Kerbas_ad_astra. Part configuration files, Module Manager patches, models, and textures are released under the CC-BY 4.0 International license (or any later version).

Edited by Kerbas_ad_astra
A new release!

2 hours ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

FAQ (First Anticipated Question)

• Is this mod compatible with ReStock?
    • Not as-downloaded. However, if you delete the PathPatches and Squad subfolders, you can keep the new parts that Ven added to the game and let ReStock have its way with the stock parts.

"Your next line is..."

2 minutes ago, crapstar said:

Sweet. Thanks!

I am assuming this will not work with Restock?

4 hours ago, siimav said:

@Kerbas_ad_astra Do you also have plans of getting your fork onto CKAN? This would do a great service to RP-1 players since this mod is a dependency and currently players have to mark KSP v1.3.1 as compatible in CKAN settings to even be able to install RP-1.

26 minutes ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

I've reach out to them about it.

@Kerbas_ad_astra  I can do this for you later today.

I'll use the name VensStockRevampResurrected for it, if that's ok

2 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@Kerbas_ad_astra  I can do this for you later today.

I'll use the name VensStockRevampResurrected for it, if that's ok

I appreciate the offer, but there's already an entry for VenStockRevamp that's defined as a dependency and/or conflict for other mods, so I'd rather have them figure out how to establish continuity between that and what I've released.

Just now, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

I appreciate the offer, but there's already an entry for VenStockRevamp that's defined as a dependency and/or conflict for other mods, so I'd rather have them figure out how to establish continuity between that and what I've released.

Oh, that's easy to do.  I just have to have the new version provide the same name as the old one, without replacing the old one, also make this conflict with the old one to avoid overlap

What I'll do is make the new netkan entry, and then ask someone to review it before committing

I'm going to send this over to @HebaruSan, I just saw that you have two versions on Github, one for regular and another with a lower version for the RO people.  And I don't know it well enough to get both available.

Edit:  I've opened an issue on Github referencing this thread

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Hello, thanks for the update for the old addon. I have noticed a few savegame breaking missing parts: 1. Inline RCS is missing, 2. "LongDeployableAntenna" is missing, which is i think the one that looks like apollo-style relay antenna, even with "Ven's new part" installed. My savegame is career mode, and not yet reached full tech tree, but here's the missing parts i've encountered so far. Anyway good job on the update! 

Edited by BummersBum

Hello, I don't know if i'm posting again (my post disappeared as soon as i submitted.., and i'm new so bit confused) Thanks for the update to the mod. I found some savefile breaking missing parts: Inline RCS and "LongDeployableAntenna" (which seems to be was apollo csm relay antenna-like low-tech relay antenna). Other than that, the update looks good so far !

12 minutes ago, BummersBum said:

Hello, I don't know if i'm posting again (my post disappeared as soon as i submitted.., and i'm new so bit confused) Thanks for the update to the mod. I found some savefile breaking missing parts: Inline RCS and "LongDeployableAntenna" (which seems to be was apollo csm relay antenna-like low-tech relay antenna). Other than that, the update looks good so far !

The Inline RCS should still be in the game...looks like I've missed a spot.

The LongDeployableAntenna was deprecated by Ven years ago (https://github.com/VenVen/Stock-Revamp/issues/121).  If you need to resurrect that part, here's the config as it was before it was deleted (no warranties that it's still any good):

PART
{
	name = LongDeployableAntenna
	module = Part
	author = Ven
	MODEL {
        model = VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/ScienceParts // Okay, I changed this bit so it should point to the new model location now.  One freebie.
		rotation = 0.0,0.0,180.0
		scale = 0.7,0.7,0.7
    }
	rescaleFactor = 1.0
	node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0
	TechRequired = electronics
	entryCost = 3400
	cost = 1500
	category = Communication
	subcategory = 0
	title = HG-20 High Gain Antenna
	manufacturer = Ionic Symphonic Protonic Electronics
	description = A longer-but-still-short-range dual-purpose communications antenna that can handle either direct communications or short range relays.  It won't reach much beyond Kerbin's SOI, but it will offer higher-quality communications from Kerbin's moons.
	attachRules = 0,1,0,0,1
	mass = 0.28
	dragModelType = default
	maximum_drag = 0.2
	minimum_drag = 0.2
	angularDrag = 1
	crashTolerance = 8
	maxTemp = 2000 // = 3200
	bulkheadProfiles = srf
	tags = aerial antenna deploy direct relay dish extend fold radio signal transmi (ven (vsr
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleDeployableAntenna
		showStatus = false
		isTracking = false
		pivotName = DishArm
		windResistance = 1
		animationName = LongAntennaDeploy
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
		animationName = LongAntennaTransmitPulse
		isOneShot = false
		startEventGUIName = Blink Lights
		endEventGUIName = Blink Lights
		allowManualControl = False
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleDataTransmitter
		antennaType = RELAY
		packetInterval = 0.05
		packetSize = 1
		packetResourceCost = 10.0
		requiredResource = ElectricCharge
		DeployFxModules = 0
		ProgressFxModules = 1
		antennaPower = 20000000
		antennaCombinable = True
	}
}

Just found this out, but this mod is incompatible with Snark's "MissingHistory" mod, since they both overwrite the Swivel and Reliant engines. You end up with a strange unremoveable shroud around the engine section that also removes the lower attachment point. Just FYI.

P.S. - Love this mod, so ridiculously happy I was told about it.

• 2 weeks later...

6BZqJy9.jpg

I disabled the central plume, and find out that really there are vernier plumes, but they are hidden behind the large central Exhaust.  
Probably Squad/FX/ks25_Exhaust was changed on the last few ksp updates, and it's no more fit to the Bollard. Can it be scaled down?

kAZHVD9.jpg

UPD. hydroLOXFlame instead of ks25_Exhaus, and changed stat of Squad/FX/Monoprop_small

WEfkdGy.jpg

Spoiler

EFFECTS{
		running_closed{
			AUDIO{
				channel = Ship
				clip = sound_rocket_spurts
				volume = 0.0 0.0
				volume = 1.0 1.0
				pitch = 0.0 0.2
				pitch = 1.0 1.0
				loop = true
			}
			PREFAB_PARTICLE{
				prefabName = fx_smokeTrail_veryLarge
				transformName = smokePoint
				emission = 0.0 0.0
				emission = 0.05 0.0
				emission = 0.075 0.25
				emission = 1.0 1.25
				speed = 0.0 0.25
				speed = 1.0 1.0
				localOffset = 0, 0, 1
			}
			MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE{
				modelName = Squad/FX/hydroLOXFlame
				transformName = thrustTransform
				emission = 0.0 0.0
				emission = 0.075 0.25
				emission = 1.0 1.00
				speed = 0.0 0.5
				speed = 1.0 1.2
			}
		}
		running_verns
		{
			MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
			{
				modelName = Squad/FX/Monoprop_small
				transformName = vernorTransform
				emission = 0.0 0.0
				emission = 0.4 1.6 // 0.4 0.8
				emission = 1.0 2   // 1.0 1.0
				speed = 0.0 1.6    // 0.0 0.8
				speed = 1.0 2.0    // 1.0 1.0
				energy = 0.0 1.5
				energy = 1.0 3.0
				// localOffset = 0, 0, 1
				localPosition = 0, 0, 0 // 0.08
			}
		}
		engage{
			AUDIO{
				channel = Ship
				clip = sound_vent_soft
				volume = 1.0
				pitch = 2.0
				loop = false
			}
		}
		flameout{
			PREFAB_PARTICLE{
				prefabName = fx_exhaustSparks_flameout_2
				transformName = smokePoint
				oneShot = true
			}
			AUDIO{
				channel = Ship
				clip = sound_explosion_low
				volume = 1.0
				pitch = 2.0
				loop = false
			}
		}
	}

Edited by flart

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.