Not landed / moving over the surface

I'm testing into the 1.8.1 update, and last night I twinned my 1.7.3 campaign game and updated it.  I'm puzzled by two things at this point:

1.  I have a rover landed at Minmus's Lesser Flats.  It is parked with "Parking Brake" set, and additionally by extending landing legs to hold the wheels off the ground.  It is simply not going anywhere.  However, when I attempt to go back to the space center, nothing happens; and when I try to switch focus to another vessel, I am informed that I can't switch focus while my vessel is "moving over the surface."  Since Minmus's Flats areas are exactly that, there's no possibility that I'm sliding downhill, and I think I have everything else covered...   any ideas on where to start hunting for the problem?

2.  With a new campaign start-- when I'm sitting on the Level 1 launch pad or runway, my state is "flying low."  This would be only slightly annoying if it weren't for the fact that I cannot complete the contract "Launch our first vessel!" because I'm already "flying" at launch.  Same question... any ideas where to start looking?

In both cases, is there a specific log file I should be looking at and a specific place in it or key phrase(s) I should be looking for?

I'm far from an expert in reading logs, but I'm seeing a lot of these in the log when I was looking at said rover:

[ERR 17:36:00.062] Module SafeBrakes threw during OnUpdate: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at SafeBrakes.SafeBrakes.OnUpdate () [0x001b4] in <e8f4061f37b542f9b11eea8271dcef40>:0 
  at Part.ModulesOnUpdate () [0x0004a] in <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0 

... so I'm thinking SafeBrakes might be my target to remove and test without it...

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, MaxwellsDemon said:

Update...  WorldStabilizer seems to be another possibility.

I would agree here, noting that you're replying in the WS thread as I did.

The maker of WorldStabilizer notes that his mod isn't tested with 1.8 as he hadn't purchased it at the time of my report.

Similar to the OP, I was trying to use Deployed Science on Duna in 1.8.1. I got "Cannot deploy part when not on a planet" each time I tried to place a DS item.

A check in the Console revealed that WS was trying, as designed, to allow the items to settle. But WS appears to work too well because the parts have their own settling scheme. Zeno's Paradox as a result; the parts continually travel but never reach the surface.

Removing WS and all was well with the DS deployment.

On 11/12/2019 at 8:58 PM, MaxwellsDemon said:

I'm far from an expert in reading logs, but I'm seeing a lot of these in the log when I was looking at said rover:

[ERR 17:36:00.062] Module SafeBrakes threw during OnUpdate: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at SafeBrakes.SafeBrakes.OnUpdate () [0x001b4] in <e8f4061f37b542f9b11eea8271dcef40>:0 
  at Part.ModulesOnUpdate () [0x0004a] in <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0 

... so I'm thinking SafeBrakes might be my target to remove and test without it...

You should report this in the SafeBrakes thread

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.