[1.8 - 1.12.x] Distant Object Enhancement Continued v2.0.3.1 (29 September, 2021)

TheDarkBadger

3 hours ago, Alexsys said:

Awesome to see how easily you manage to score and handle such material as those mods offer, its grand to see pro experienced skill in action.

15 minutes to locate where to put TweakScale code. 30 minutes to figure out what would be that code.

3 hours trying to understand why it was not working until I realise that the code was fine, it was something else on DOE the problem

2 hours to fix the DOE problem. :D

Yep. Pretty easy…. :sticktongue:

Using DOE and a craft using Tarsier on LEO, and two Rockomax tanks scaled to 20M on the LaunchPad.

zfJxPus.png

ScUSitN.png

The DOE problem was, essentially, what I had said before: it only knew how to handle the older mesh value (still used on Stock), but didn't know how to handle the new MODEL section. I didn't made a very good job on this one, because I'm just taking the first model value from the MODEL section, and I remember seeing some pretty complex Parts with many models on the MODEL, so these more complex parts will not be rendered correctly.

But what we get now is way better than what we had before, so I will call it a day! :)

@Alexsys, I don't know ReStock, so I can't say if this will fix the problem for them too. But I think that at least some parts from ReStock will be rendered now. If you find something not working, ping us (me, the DOE maintainer and the ReStock maintainer) so we can see what need to be done. This will need to be a Team Work, as probably none of us have all the knowledge needed! :)

I'm working on a Pull Request to the DOE's repo now.

Cheers!

— — POST EDIT — — 

Pull Request for TweakScale Support: https://github.com/TheDarkBadger/DistantObject/pull/11
Pull Request for the MODEL fix: https://github.com/TheDarkBadger/DistantObject/pull/12

Ping @TheDarkBadger!

Edited by Lisias
ping!

11 minutes ago, Lisias said:

15 minutes to locate where to put TweakScale code. 30 minutes to figure out what would be that code.

3 hours trying to understand why it was not working until I realise that the code was fine, it was something else on DOE the problem

Using DOE and a craft using Tarsier on LEO, and two Rockomax tanks scaled to 20M on the LaunchPad.

zfJxPus.png

ScUSitN.png

The DOE problem was, essentially, what I had said before: it only knew how to handle the older mesh value (still used on Stock), but didn't know how to handle the new MODEL section. I didn't made a very good job on this one, because I'm just taking the first model value from the MODEL section, and I remember seeing some pretty complex Parts with many models on the MODEL, so these more complex parts will not be rendered correctly.

But what we get now is way better than what we had before, so I will call it a day! :)

@Alexsys, I don't know ReStock, so I can't say if this will fix the problem for them too. But I think that at least some parts from ReStock will be rendered now. If you find something not working, ping us (me, the DOE maintainer and the ReStock maintainer) so we can see what need to be done. This will need to be a Team Work, as probably none of us have all the knowledge needed! :)

Cheers!

Man, I can't thank you enough for your time and work on this.

Absolute legend.

I'll be testing the result, helping you out with any feedback from the test outs.

will quote reply here probably if anything

5 hours ago, zer0Kerbal said:

I've tried to convert (as time allows, and as the update passes allow) my mods to use MODEL instead of mesh; not much can be done about stock, unless someone were to create a stockmesh2model.cfg....

I prefer not to touch what's working,  unless needed by a new feature.

We already have our hands full, no need to be overloaded by Zero Sum changes - what essentially is what migrating from mesh is without the need of the new features of the MODEL.

Since Stock still uses it, I see no reason to think it will be dropped I  the next release (if it is going to happen).

On 9/28/2021 at 11:18 AM, Lisias said:

zfJxPus.png

ScUSitN.png

Cheers!

— — POST EDIT — — 

Pull Request for TweakScale Support: https://github.com/TheDarkBadger/DistantObject/pull/11
Pull Request for the MODEL fix: https://github.com/TheDarkBadger/DistantObject/pull/12

Ping @TheDarkBadger!

Thanks for looking into this, its much appreciated! :)
Changes have been pulled in and a new release made which should be available.

Additionally, this will be the last update on DOE - if @Lisias or anyone else would like to pick it up and continue working on it please feel free!

@Lisias @TheDarkBadger

Thank you both for your work on this, I keep being absolutely amazed by the legends that exist in the ksp community

A portion of tweakscaled non Restock modified assets are now visible, it's a grand step :)

(Actually. It decides to render those parts with stock textures (even though Restock by default tries to eliminate them being loaded into the game) and both in tweakscaled manner)
Basically it sees tweakscaled objects perfectly now, and converts the texture rendered in DOE to stock. (only a certain few parts that by default are retextured by restock, mostly are invisible)

v0RcF2u.jpeg

On 9/28/2021 at 1:18 PM, Lisias said:

@Nertea

Mister Restock developer, will you ever be willing to integrate ReStock support with Distant Object Enhancement?

This will be the most legendary functional trio.
TweakScale-Restock-Distant Object Enhancement

By the simple fact that these three mods simply MAKE ksp what it is in 2021, three legends with such high contribution to a game's soul

Edited by Alexsys

1 hour ago, TheDarkBadger said:

Additionally, this will be the last update on DOE - if @Lisias or anyone else would like to pick it up and continue working on it please feel free!

Oukey so. Since I already sink my teeth on it, I'm in. :)

We will proceed on PVT!

Cheers!

2 hours ago, Alexsys said:

This mod got itself blessed with a legendary developer

Yes it did. 

Here's a old request...  not critical but nice to fix. I suppose it won't be easy though. 

Spoiler
On 9/20/2020 at 11:00 AM, infinite_monkey said:

Planets appear as a dark spot visible through the atmosphere. They should be hidden behind it, just like the stars. Would it be possible to fix that?

3mcVjfs.png

On 3/10/2021 at 9:06 PM, Krazy1 said:

Thanks for maintaining this mod.

Also noticed this with planets visible through the sun:

pq39lpz.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

could you make it so that smaller and farther objects are less visible. in real life you cant see uranus or neptune in the sky because they are too dim but i can see urlum and neidon shining in the sky even though they are so far away and i can even see the tiny dwarf planet plock

On 5/26/2022 at 6:40 AM, awsumguy76801 said:

could you make it so that smaller and farther objects are less visible. in real life you cant see uranus or neptune in the sky because they are too dim but i can see urlum and neidon shining in the sky even though they are so far away and i can even see the tiny dwarf planet plock

This mod has been succeeded by 

Maybe you can ask there? Also I get what you're saying but it's kind off the point of this mod to enhance distant objects:wink:

• 11 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.