Stuck on Laythe, Please help

I sent my Layviathan to Laythe because my team needed a Morale boost cause Val crashed in to Vall. I Cheated the Lander into Orbit, so i didn't have to the Mission for Testing. My Asparagus staged lander reentered fine, and the chutes worked good. When i splashed down, my tanks got Destroyed and my game crashed, and my PC basicly Killed itself, i could not do anything, from Google (for the Community's help, they always help), and i couldn't turn off my PC. Anyway, I'll cut to the chase. Jeb is now stuck in Laythe's ocean, He has no way of getting anywhere. I need your help, Any suggestions on how to Rescue Jeb?

Laythe has an oxygenated atmosphere, so you could build a sea plane with jet engines to bring Jeb to land, refuel using ISRU there and go back to orbit. My tips for a sea plane: Use canards at the front of the plane to make taking off from the sea easier. With only control surfaces at the back you would push the plane into the water if you pitch up during takeoff. For landing a sea plane, the trick is to pitch up just before landing so that the bottom touches water first. If the nose of the plane touches the water first, the plane gets compressed and parts usually explode.

An alternative would be to land a rocket in the water and go back to orbit, or at least to the next land, where rescue is easier.

31 minutes ago, EveMaster said:

Laythe has an oxygenated atmosphere, so you could build a sea plane with jet engines to bring Jeb to land, refuel using ISRU there and go back to orbit. My tips for a sea plane: Use canards at the front of the plane to make taking off from the sea easier. With only control surfaces at the back you would push the plane into the water if you pitch up during takeoff. For landing a sea plane, the trick is to pitch up just before landing so that the bottom touches water first. If the nose of the plane touches the water first, the plane gets compressed and parts usually explode.

An alternative would be to land a rocket in the water and go back to orbit, or at least to the next land, where rescue is easier.

My experience is generally that if the nose of a plane ever touches anything first it's likely to explode. Flare or die.

This craft of mine was built for the mountain lake landing challenge.   

https://kerbalx.com/AeroGav/Puffin

Seaplanes are tricky,  change one thing and there is no guarantee the craft will lift off the water again.

It can comfortably land on Minmus starting from a standing start on Kerbin,  and i used the cheat menu to put in orbit of Laythe and verify that after de-orbit burn,  it can land on and take off from the ocean with nearly full tanks,   and then fly to Laythe orbit with 2500 dV left once in orbit.

So if you'd rather not mod this airplane,   build something with a Claw that can refuel it in Kerbin orbit,  for the trip to Jool,   and then put another low grav IRSU lander in jool system to gas up for the return leg...    the irsu lander could touchdown on a low grav world like pol or bop.  The IRSU lander can be tiny because this thing doesn't take much gas.  Something like 10T of liquid fuel to completely fill it.    Doesn't use oxidizer, except for the ventral vernier thruster.

Edited by AeroGav

On a lonely planet slowly spinning its way into damnation, amidst the incompetence and utter carelessness of lesser space programs, one team stands resilient against the herds. Putting their lives on the line to aid those previously unaware of the quicksave option. Yes, it's the incredible adventures of Jebediah and his crack team of kerbonauts. They are:

The Blunderbirds.

Saving the Kerbin race one stranded explorer at a time.

Seriously though, Matt Lowne has a beautiful example of an ocean rescue from Laythe right here. I believe the crafts are all fully Stock and have download links in the video description.

Edited by Gordon Fecyk

Is Jeb still stuck?

An SSTO seaplane like already mentioned by several people is probably the most sane idea. Laythe has lower gravity than Kerbin so if it can lift off Kerbin's ocean it should be able to do so from Laythe. Laythe atmosphere is also thinner and space starts at 50km instead of 70km, so it will be easier to reach orbit on Laythe.

Do you use any mods? A sandbox save and HyperEdit is a good way to test seaplanes. You can teleport them from the runway to the ocean.

A vertical rocket design will be easier to lift off instead of a seaplane. You can use parachutes on Laythe to conserve fuel during landing. The tricky part with using a rocket for rescue is getting it to land reasonably close to where Jeb is stuck. Quicksave and reload until you get the landing close enough.

Again, HyperEdit can be your friend here: teleport your rocket into the ocean to make sure it floats vertically rather than tipping over.

Note that if you rescue Jeb but your rescue craft runs out of fuel while circularizing orbit, the EVA jetpack carries around 600 m/s of deltaV in his jetpack. Jeb can bail out in space to turn a suborbital flight into an orbit.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.