Matt Lowne’s entire channel has been copyright claimed

ProtoJeb21

Welp, I’m back...except without the best of news. 

Most of Matt’s KSP videos were copyright claimed by SonyATV, because apparently they’re claiming this song he uses in his intros is theirs, even though it came from a collection of copyright-free songs. He explains the situation here: 

This really shouldn’t be happening, but you know 2019 YouTube. They care more about money and looking good for other companies than being there for creators trying to make good content. 

I recommend as many people as possible post this around: 

The more upvotes, the more likely it will get to r/all and get much needed attention. Matt’s channel isn’t big enough for it alone to get people to know about this issue  

15 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

The more upvotes, the more likely it will get to r/all and get much needed attention. Matt’s channel isn’t big enough for it alone to get people to know about this issue  

It's already in popular!

pVvipbO.png

Its been like this since yesterday!.I think it should be in r/all too!

4 hours ago, KerbolExplorer said:

It's already in popular!

pVvipbO.png

Its been like this since yesterday!.I think it should be in r/all too!

I think it’s too old to be in r/all today. Maybe it was last night when it was nearing 10k upvotes.

The next best option, surprisingly, is to make a meme about this and post it to r/Dankmemes. They sure love ripping apart companies/organizations/people that do terrible or stupid stuff (PETA saying Steve Irwin deserved his death, Disney saying no to Spider-Man being on a kid’s grave, J K Rowling giving us WAY too much Harry Potter info, etc). A good meme about YouTube’s flawed copyright system allowing for Sony to unfairly target a small creator (<500k subs) is sure to get plenty of updoots and attention. 

And yes, it may sound stupid that a meme could help save an entire channel from corporate exploitation, but we’ve gotta work with what we’re given. 

Edited by ProtoJeb21

On 11/16/2019 at 12:01 PM, burn boi said:

what

No music?

rip Matt personality 

On. Personal point of view, I never had associated that music with him. I don't even remember it, and I'm watching his videos since sometime already (2016? Don't recall).

On the other hand, no music on videos are bearable, but I prefer with. :) Perhaps some classic music? They are all royalty free, you need to care only about the musicians that executed the one you choose.

To be honest, I wasn't surprised at first.  Most of his older videos, before he became a staple of KSP videos, were of a "music video" variety.   Ie, they included Music that was in the mainstream by popular artists.   When I heard him say the claim was on supposedly copyright free music, I was surprised.   Hopefully he and YT can get this sorted out.  If they don't, and the story is as Matt says it is, then shame on YT for pulling this stunt. 

55 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

This is getting outrageous. I bet it wasn’t even a person but some kind of bot that found a little bit of similarity (something like 80%) but it was enough to trip the bot.

Probably the case. I cannot count the number of time I got warned of copyrights claims on my YouTube's uploads, so I deleted the video and re-uploaded the exact same file later without being detected.

This reminds me of what happened to Minecraft and Film youtuber MumboJumbo. Had I think over 1100 or 1200 videos get flagged for music he had licensed from the artist that created the two songs (used in his opening and closing). Unbeknownst to him, the artist had used samples that themselves had not been properly licensed from Warner Chapell Music. He absolutely believed he was safe, that he had done everything right. Unfortunately, the artist had made an error, in his situation, and he had to manually use Youtube's editing tools to trim out the opening and closing of all of his videos. It's despicable. At the very least, there should be some provisions in place for people to be able to seek a license in such scenarios, or share revenue based on percentage of content... But nope! 6 seconds of content in the intro, and 10 seconds at the close warrants Warner Chapell taking 100% of his revenue. That is obscene!

I wonder if Content ID locked onto some random original string of sounds that made it trigger a false positive on something in the Sony Library. I DEFINITELY hope this isn't a case of an artist using an unlicensed sample, or a licensed sample that the artist doesn't have the rights to sub license.

Edited by richfiles

2 hours ago, Jacke said:

That then leads to Google believing the incorrect corollary that by definition anything Google does isn't evil.

Google Noname Evil
Lawful Lawful Google Lawful Noname Lawful Evil
Neutral Neutral Google Neutral Noname Neutral Evil
Chaotic Chaotic Google Chaotic Noname Chaotic Evil

2 minutes ago, Lisias said:

The guy on Google that advocated for that is gone from the Company.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/30/18524495/google-alphabet-board-eric-schmidt-steps-down-18-years

Eric Schmidt?!?  "Don't be evil." must be for some other definition of evil, as he had a very poor attitude on user privacy.

10 minutes ago, Jacke said:

Eric Schmidt?!?  "Don't be evil." must be for some other definition of evil, as he had a very poor attitude on user privacy.

Your privacy is the price you paid for using their services. I don't have a problem with that - I just don't use most of their services anymore.

Don't like the price, don't buy it (and don't use it).

The evilness he used to refer are on silent surveillance, breaking things (including on user's machine), then lying about.

13 hours ago, richfiles said:

This reminds me of what happened to Minecraft and Film youtuber MumboJumbo. Had I think over 1100 or 1200 videos get flagged for music he had licensed from the artist that created the two songs (used in his opening and closing). Unbeknownst to him, the artist had used samples that themselves had not been properly licensed from Warner Chapell Music. He absolutely believed he was safe, that he had done everything right. Unfortunately, the artist had made an error, in his situation, and he had to manually use Youtube's editing tools to trim out the opening and closing of all of his videos. It's despicable. At the very least, there should be some provisions in place for people to be able to seek a license in such scenarios, or share revenue based on percentage of content... But nope! 6 seconds of content in the intro, and 10 seconds at the close warrants Warner Chapell taking 100% of his revenue. That is obscene!

I wonder if Content ID locked onto some random original string of sounds that made it trigger a false positive on something in the Sony Library. I DEFINITELY hope this isn't a case of an artist using an unlicensed sample, or a licensed sample that the artist doesn't have the rights to sub license.

That's who I was thinking of! he said in a video that there should be a limit on copyright claims that a company can make at once(or something along those lines)

Edited by lapis

2 hours ago, lapis said:

That's who I was thinking of! he said in a video that there should be a limit on copyright claims that a company can make at once(or something along those lines)

Better. It should be a limit of false claims a company can make before being prosecuted by bad faith litigation.

Right now, they just don't have anything to lose by doing false claims. Such claims should cost them money. You can bet your mouse it costs money to who got such false claims.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.